Tick

Old August 11th 03, 11:31 PM
Bill Henderson

Default Tick

Hi

Cat's got a tick on its neck. How do I get rid of the bugger?

It also had the odd flea or several so I gave it a dose of Advantage 80 for
Cats. Now no sign of fleas but I can still feel the tick.

The cat is very nervous and so I am reluctant to subject it to any stress.
Mind you it has its annual check up and injections at the end of this month.

Bill

Old August 12th 03, 03:18 PM
LeeAnne

A couple methods:

Use rubbing alcohol or peroxide to smother the tick - the idea is that it
won't be able to breath and will let go. At the same time you are trying to
drown it (the tick) by pouring the solution over it you should be holding
the body w/tweezers and GENTLY pulling so as soon as it lets go you'll have
it. 4 hands works better than two w/this.

We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers -- theory is tick
says 'ouch' and lets go. Again, easier done w/two people.

Most important is to NOT leave the head of the little nasty in the kitty
that's how you get infections. Best to try and get it out than to leave it.
Or, call your vet and see if you can move the app't up and they can
teach/show you how to remove it.

Good luck,
LeeAnne

Old August 12th 03, 11:26 PM
bewtifulfreak

"Kuisse0002" wrote in message

We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers --

That's terrible! Using a hot match on the skin of the cat just to remove

the
tick - how inhuman is that? That's animal cruelty.

I'm fairly certain she meant you would just use the extinguished match on
the end of the tick, it wouldn't touch the skin of the cat.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 13th 03, 08:10 PM
LeeAnne

Yikes, no ****e - read it again "light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the TICK BODY..." What the heck good would it do me to burn
the cat? That sure isn't going to cause the tick to let go and more than
likely would cause kitty to take a big 'ole chunk out of me (and I can't say
I'd blame him/her either).

^..^

~LeeAnne

tick? Wendy Cat health & behaviour 14 August 25th 04 01:46 PM
Flea & Tick Control? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 20 December 9th 03 01:06 PM