Being a Considerate Cat Owner

Old July 29th 03, 09:31 PM
Judy

Default Being a Considerate Cat Owner

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person

moved
in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with

her
garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that they
sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence),

I'm
at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want to
keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Ann

Last summer, Rita, the lady two doors down mentioned that Matilda "went" in
her yard from time to time. The spot she had chosen wasn't a bother, but
Rita was about to add a potted tree and was concerned that Matilda might
start using that.

The idea that I came up with and that worked, was to dump a couple of bags
of top soil in a corner of my yard. I showed the pile to Matilda and said
"here, this is for you." She used it right away.

About a month later I asked Rita if Matilda had been down to her place again
and she said "no." :c)

I don't know if doing this would work for your cats but it has worked for
Matilda.

Judy

Old July 30th 03, 12:09 AM
Sharon Talbert

Fence your yard and install Cat Fence In (see it on our website) or build
a generously sized cat enclosure in your backyard. That at least protects
your cats. Not the neighbor's garden, however, as surely yours are not
the only cats visiting her property. Fences can make better neighbors...

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, bewtifulfreak wrote:

[...]

P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when we
saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with her
garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason I
wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't really
go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and never
made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to try
and show her some consideration in return.

Old July 30th 03, 02:05 AM

http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html
http://www.catfence.com/pictures.htm

This diagram shows you the basic idea
http://www.catfence.com/images/drawing.jpg
Adding a layer of "fencing material" atop
your existing fence that tilts in toward your yard.
Can be done inexpensively as a family project.

Another good pic for the idea
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

Use google, and search.
Cat fencing is common.

Old July 30th 03, 01:05 PM
The Charming Ones

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person

moved
in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with

her
garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
on me.

Some neighbours are like that. But try this: I actually suggested this to
my other neighbour [nice one] who di the right thing and came and told me
that our cat kept ****ing and it's statring to smell on her air conditioner
unit.
So I suggested use a water bottle and every time they go where they are not
suppose to just squirt them with the water bottle. It worked wonders. ;o)
TT

Old July 30th 03, 10:49 PM
Andy MacAskill

bewtifulfreak wrote:

[...]

Offer to surround the perimeter of her garden with planted onions? (I've
heard it's supposed to keep out wabbits.)
Old July 30th 03, 11:21 PM
bewtifulfreak

"Andy MacAskill" wrote in message

Offer to surround the perimeter of her garden with planted onions? (I've
heard it's supposed to keep out wabbits.)

LOL....I wonder what she'd think of that? At least it would keep our rabbit
out, not that he ever actually goes over there (he only roams the yard a
little when we're sitting out there, and hasn't yet tried venturing into her
garden, not that I'm sure he's found the way yet, or he just might)!

Old July 31st 03, 12:44 PM
The Charming Ones

bewtifulfreak wrote:

[...]

But it's not wabbits she is trying to keep out is it? ;o)

TT

Old August 16th 03, 06:49 PM
Alain

Try puting mothbals around and in the garden. Also helps keep out ants,
may attract some birds.
Spray some vinegar around the garden.
Use cat repeling spray, may have to try a few brands.
Find some flowers your cat don't like. Plant some around the garden.
Some flowers even help keep away some nasty bugs.
My cat positively *HATE* asterias (that star shaped fruit), it make her
puke! Some slices or some juice may do the trick.
Sprinkle some hot pepper chips or other strong spices in the area. Most
cats don't like spices. Some pepper spray perhap.

Alain

bewtifulfreak nous aporta ses lumieres en ce 2003/07/29 12:33 :

Old August 16th 03, 08:28 PM
Nan

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:49:51 -0400, Alain
wrote:

Try puting mothbals around and in the garden. Also helps keep out ants,
may attract some birds.
Spray some vinegar around the garden.
Use cat repeling spray, may have to try a few brands.
Find some flowers your cat don't like. Plant some around the garden.
Some flowers even help keep away some nasty bugs.
My cat positively *HATE* asterias (that star shaped fruit), it make her
puke! Some slices or some juice may do the trick.
Sprinkle some hot pepper chips or other strong spices in the area. Most
cats don't like spices. Some pepper spray perhap.

Alain

Mothballs are dangerous for cats.

Nan