Help - Cleaning Ears

Old August 16th 03, 01:37 AM
JD

Default Help - Cleaning Ears

My cat was off balance earlier this week. Took him to the vet, who said it
could be that his ears are filled with stuff. She cleaned out his ears and
got some "junk" out of them, using a cleaning solution, qtips and then gauze
pads. She said to use the cleaning solution, squirt it in his ears, massage
the base, let him shake his head & then clean stuff out of the outer portion
of his ear that becomes dislodged.

Well, we've cleaned his ears the last 2 nights - I don't know if I'm doing
it wrong but I got a tiny tiny speck of something out of the outer part of
his ear last night, and nothing tonight. This is the first time I've
cleaned his ears so am I doing it wrong, or did she possibly get most of the
stuff out of his ears 2 days ago? He shakes his head as soon as I squirt
the stuff in - maybe I'm putting in too much? The bottle says to apply
liberally - that's not real precise.

Any ideas? I can try calling the vet tomorrow, I just thought someone might
have some tips on how the heck to do this!

Thank you. BTW, he is walking much better, so the ear cleaning - when the
vet did it - seems to have helped quite a bit.

Codysmom

Old August 16th 03, 03:05 AM
JD

Well, at least we managed to hold onto him I guess! However, by the time we
were done the first night, his head was pretty soaked. Guess I squirted a
bit much. I had to chase him down & wipe him off. He looked cute though,
his hair was all spiky. Unforutnately, I had been aiming in his ears...

"Gary" wrote in message ...

When I tried something like that for Troni, here's how it went: "...squirt

it in
her ear..." - ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!! Cat explodes out of kitchen sink,
knocking everything off the counter, slinging stinky stuff everywhere! End

of
story.

Gary

Old August 16th 03, 04:10 PM
Gary

"Gary" wrote in message ...

When I tried something like that for Troni, here's how it went: "...squirt

it in
her ear..." - ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!! Cat explodes out of kitchen sink,
knocking everything off the counter, slinging stinky stuff everywhere! End

of
story.

Gary

There's a trick I used with emus that I'm thinking just *might* work with cats.
We had one particular emu, #171, that I named "The Ballistic Bitch From Hell".
NO ONE could handle this emu (I was the best handler there, and I couldn't begin
to handle her). I've seen this bird run sideways on a fence to keep from being
caught.

Well, one day, she had a gaping injury on her thigh (probably from fighting with
the other 19 emus). Since there was NO WAY to handle her to administer first aid
(without injuring her worse as well as anyone who got near her), so I did the
standard thing by just isolating her. This keeps the others from pecking at her
open wound while it heals.

It turns out that we had a special, spring loaded, multi shot vaccination
syringes. It was about the size of a hand gun, and it held about a dixie cup of
liquid in it. And, it shot real accurately (no needle). It was for mass
inoculation of cattle or something.

So, after practicing with water, I mixed up some medication for her wound and
loaded my gun (for emu). From about ten feet away, I was able to apply that
medication to that wound.

So, I am wondering.... if something similar could be used for cats? Just a fast,
measured dose of *whatever* they need in their ears? After what I went through
with Troni, it would be worth a shot (pun intended ).

Gary