Ted RB (TW) (long)

Old August 14th 05, 04:45 AM
Tish Silberbauer

Default Ted RB (TW) (long)

Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved Ted, calico queen of our
household. Ted was DH's special cat and they had been friends for
Ted's entire 19 years. Ted lived a long, happy and adventurous life
and lived it well. She was much loved by not only us, but by her
original people and many human friends.

We are both very upset and have been sad for a few weeks as it became
apparent that the end was approaching. There is never a good time to
say goodbye and taking her to the vet this final time was one of the
most difficult things we have ever had to do. We took her to the vet
yesterday to see if there was anything that could be done and was told
that treatment would only prolongue her life by a few days. She was
weak, very uncomfortable and was suffering, so we knew we owed it to
her to do the merciful thing, even if it was painful for us.

Ted came into DH's life at 3 weeks old when Jonno picked her out at an
animal shelter. Jonno and DH were undergraduate uni students at the
time and Ted quickly came to dominate their household of rowdy
bachelors. She is the source of many legends. She had a finely-tuned
sense of justice and was very creative in exacting revenge if she felt
that she had been done wrong. Once, for example, she peed in Jonno's
very favourite hat after Jonno had ignored her after a big night out.
She also used to chaperone her lads to the local, just a few doors
down the street, and guide them home at the end of the evening. She
was confident and familiar in the area and ruled the whole street with
an iron paw.

She lived with Jonno until Jonno got married and moved in with Mrs
Jonno and her cat. Ted and Mrs Jonno's cat did not get along, and it
was decided it would be kindest to rehome Ted with members of her fan
club, i.e. DH, me and his flatmate Steve. Ted was about 6 at the time
and settled in right away, re-arranging us to suit herself.

Ted had a way about her and whenever someone was sad, or ill, she knew
how best to make them feel better, even if it was only curling up next
to them in bed and purring for as long as necessary, sometimes for
hours on end. It felt very special to be looked after so nicely and
patiently.

From the time she moved in with us, she chose DH as her person and
bullied him until he did what she asked - letting her in and out,
sharing his tinned corn or beans, making his lap available for her
repose. DH was a willing slave and it was a wonderful relationship,
such that when the household broke up there was no doubt that Ted
would come with us so that she and DH need not be parted.

Over the next 13 years Ted moved with us from Melbourne to Wollongong,
from Wollongong to Armidale, from Armidale to Sydney. She was an
excellent car traveller, settling in right away and making herself at
home on the rear parcel shelf of the car. She also moved house very
easily - settling in within a day and never making a fuss.

When she was about 12 or 13 she was diagnosed with diabetes and we
were made aware that her life would be attenuated. As always, she
defied the vets and lived to a ripe old age.

She lived a good life and was much loved. We, and all her fan club,
will miss her terribly.

Please raise a glass to a grand old lady. May she serve as a good
example to us all.

Tish
Old August 14th 05, 04:49 AM
Victor Martinez

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved Ted, calico queen of our
household. Ted was DH's special cat and they had been friends for
Ted's entire 19 years. Ted lived a long, happy and adventurous life
and lived it well. She was much loved by not only us, but by her
original people and many human friends.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Ted seemed to have had a very happy
and long life, and I'm sure she's enjoying her time at the RB until she
greets you there again.

Please raise a glass to a grand old lady. May she serve as a good
example to us all.

Here, here.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 14th 05, 05:09 AM
Marina

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

Please raise a glass to a grand old lady. May she serve as a good
example to us all.

Oh Tish, I am so sorry. Many hugs and purrs to you and DH for your loss.
I will raise a glass to her. Your stories of her always reminded me of
my 'little sister' Thompson (1970-1987) who ruled our family for 17 years.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old August 14th 05, 05:12 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:45:10 +1000, Tish Silberbauer
yodeled:

[...]

From the time she moved in with us, she chose DH as her person and
[...]

A fantastic cat. A life well-lived.

Theresa
Old August 14th 05, 05:49 AM
Melissa Houle

She lived a good life and was much loved. We, and all her fan club,
will miss her terribly.

Please raise a glass to a grand old lady. May she serve as a good
example to us all.

Tish

Much sympathy for the passing of Ted, Tish. She does indeed sound like a cat
among cats, and it's clear that she was deeply loved in her lifetime.
Sympathy to your DH, as well, as I'm sure he will feel her absence
extraordinarily. It is indeed so hard to say farewell to them, even when
letting them go is clearly the kindest thing to do for them.

Melissa

Old August 14th 05, 05:59 AM
badwilson

Oh Tish, I'm so sorry. What a wonderful tribute to an awesome cat. I
guess at age 19, you have to expect it, but it doesn't make it any
less heartbreaking. Purrs for Ted's journey to the RB and for you and
DH.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
[...]

From the time she moved in with us, she chose DH as her person and

Old August 14th 05, 06:05 AM
Helen Wheels

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved Ted, calico queen of our
household.

snip

Please raise a glass to a grand old lady. May she serve as a good
example to us all.

Tish

Oh Tish, I'm so sorry to hear that. It's so terribly hard to let them
go. Purrs for your hearts to heal. And I'll certainly dedicate a hot
chocolate to Ted this afternoon.
Old August 14th 05, 06:33 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:45:10 +1000, Tish Silberbauer wrote:

[...]

From the time she moved in with us, she chose DH as her person and bullied
[...]

""""Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences in the passing of Ted. MLB

Old August 14th 05, 06:48 AM
Yoj

Oh, Tish, I'm so sorry! I know it hurts so very much. I feel privileged
that I had the opportunity to meet Ted.

Joy

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
[...]

From the time she moved in with us, she chose DH as her person and

Old August 14th 05, 06:58 AM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

Was beautiful to read this! I would love a Ted in my life! I am happy for
you all that you had the lovely presence of such a queen!

Much love to all of you!

Sincerely,
Jen, Spot, Girly, and George

Yoj wrote:
Oh, Tish, I'm so sorry! I know it hurts so very much. I feel privileged
that I had the opportunity to meet Ted.

Joy

Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved Ted, calico queen of our
household. Ted was DH's special cat and they had been friends for

[quoted text clipped - 59 lines]

Tish

My first trip to the Humane Society (LONG) Dan Cat health & behaviour 18 July 11th 05 12:48 AM
OT, Long, don't give a damn; Joyce Brauer 1936 - 2005 Singh Cat anecdotes 16 July 1st 05 10:44 PM
The Chronicles of Frank II (LONG AGAIN) Marina Cat anecdotes 65 September 21st 04 03:58 AM
T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM