Apologies to group, especially Pat

Old July 20th 07, 10:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Default Apologies to group, especially Pat

mlbriggs wrote:

I, too, was an usher while I was going to business college. I

Me too!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 20th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Bottled Water (WAS: Apologies to group, especially Pat)

Matthew wrote:
Heck I go to the movies I wear the baggiest clothes I own and sneak
food in. I am not paying $4.00 for a 16.9 oz of bottle water that
cost $.75 in the machine around the corner.

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Jill

Old July 20th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jul 19, 2007, Matthew wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:04:19 -0400, Matthew wrote:

You are making me feel old ;-)

AGAIN?

oh shot thru the heart ;-)
Still love you but do you have to remind me. I is sometimes ok to have
memory loss when it comes to that subject

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.
* * *-- Rita Mae Brown

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old July 20th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
Heck I go to the movies I wear the baggiest clothes I own and sneak
food in. I am not paying $4.00 for a 16.9 oz of bottle water that
cost $.75 in the machine around the corner.

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Jill

Drink the tap from my area and all you will taste is Chlorine

Old July 20th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:26:40 -0500, MaryL wrote:

wrote in message
"mlbriggs" wrote in message

Way back in the "old days" people went to movies to see s show -- not
eat.

I wonder when theaters started selling candy and popcorn? It would be
unthinkable now to go to a theater that didn't sell goodies.

Theaters (some of them, at least) started selling candy a *long* time
ago.
My father was an usher when he was a teenager, and they had concessions
then. He was born in 1916!

MaryL

When I was a child, I remember theatres had little boxes on the back of
the seats. Insert a nickle and it would open and give out a candy bar
I remember two bad incidents: The first one was a stale wormy bar (Mother
checked it out before letting me have it) and the second one tasted like
soap. It was a stale coconut candy bar. Those things didn't last long.
I, too, was an usher while I was going to business college. I don't know
if this URL still works, but it about the old time theatres:

http://www.cinema treasures.org

MLB

I don't remember boxes on the backs of seats, but some of the "movie
theaters" I attended as a youth were designed like opera palaces -- several
balconies, elaborate architechtural designes, ornate fabrics, even "boxes"
in some of them. I grew up in Ohio, and I think one of the best things
Cleveland did was to restore the grand old theaters in the Playhouse Square
area. Now they are used for live performances as well as movies. I went to
The Nutcracker several times at Christmas, and that was truly a glorious
treat (although I remember driving home through a blinding blizzard on one
occasion).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playhouse_Square_Center
http://cleveland.about.com/od/theater/p/playsquare.htm
http://cleveland.citysearch.com/prof...re_center.html

MaryL

Old July 20th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jul 20, 2007, jmcquown wrote:

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Tap water is far from palatable in some places, I would suspect, notably, big
cities. New York water is reputed to be excellent, and in terms of taste it's
very good. The problems arise from such things are very old lead pipes in
some buildings, and occasionally infestations of some bacteria that may be
harmless to most people but not all.

Bottled water has its own set of inherent problems, recently elaborated on in
a couple of news articles: all that plastic, a lot of which is not being
recycled; the production and transporting of all those bottles require
energy, as does their recycling.

I drink the tap water here, but I filter it through a tap filter, and I reuse
bottles several times before sending to the recycle bin. Still, I think a
major rethinking is required; when I see all the TV spots for "vitamin water"
and all those other energy drinks, I think, as you do, "what a scam!"

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old July 20th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Ketzl's Dad" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I buy bottled water to keep in the car when I'm traveling, and I have some
on hand for "emergencies" (Hurricane Rita went through here -- I was without
power for 7 days but there was no problem with water). Other than that, I
drink tap water -- and the tap water here actually tastes very good.

MaryL

Old July 20th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Matthew" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
Heck I go to the movies I wear the baggiest clothes I own and sneak
food in. I am not paying $4.00 for a 16.9 oz of bottle water that
cost $.75 in the machine around the corner.

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You
do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some
places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Jill

Drink the tap from my area and all you will taste is Chlorine

Florida water is the best excuse for bottled water I can think of. From
what I remember you can't even make decent coffee out of it.

Jo

Old July 20th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 20, 8:15 am, Ketzl's Dad wrote:
On Jul 20, 2007, jmcquown wrote:

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Tap water is far from palatable in some places, I would suspect, notably, big
cities. New York water is reputed to be excellent, and in terms of taste it's
very good. The problems arise from such things are very old lead pipes in
some buildings, and occasionally infestations of some bacteria that may be
harmless to most people but not all.

snipped
Joey Dee from NYC

That's right; and it's not just a big-city problem. Lots of people
here have water
that's perfectly safe, but tastes yukky. They call it "gyp water"--I
believe it's
from too high of a concentration of gypsum. Bottled water isn't a new
thing--
folks have always hauled in/bought water for drinking purposes.
Our little town's "claim to fame" is a natural spring that
historically was used by
Viking explorers as well as Native Americans. There is always someone
in the
park catching water to take home, it is really good water.
I think bottled water is great for convenience, too. It's expensive,
but just another
example of how people spend "disposable" income. There's nothing wrong
with that--in the
1950's the older women thought things like fabric softener were just
expensive luxuries.

Sherry