Solstice

Old December 21st 04, 04:24 PM
Kreisleriana

Default Solstice

The light starts coming back after today!

My grandmother would say "Run out in your bikini!"
--Actually it was my grandfather who taught me the "slide on the ice"
poem!

Hey maybe my GPs were Finnish and I didn't know it!

Theresa
Old December 21st 04, 04:35 PM
Pat

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

The light starts coming back after today!

My grandmother would say "Run out in your bikini!"
--Actually it was my grandfather who taught me the "slide on the ice"
poem!

Hey maybe my GPs were Finnish and I didn't know it!

Two of mine were! I take "snow baths" and if you haven't tried it... you're
in for a treat. Get naked, run out there and rub the fresh snow vigorously
over your entire body. When you're done, you will be warm as can be and will
stay that way for hours. No kidding!

Old December 21st 04, 04:51 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:35:28 -0600, "Pat"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .

The light starts coming back after today!

My grandmother would say "Run out in your bikini!"
--Actually it was my grandfather who taught me the "slide on the ice"
poem!

Hey maybe my GPs were Finnish and I didn't know it!

Two of mine were! I take "snow baths" and if you haven't tried it... you're
in for a treat. Get naked, run out there and rub the fresh snow vigorously
over your entire body. When you're done, you will be warm as can be and will
stay that way for hours. No kidding!

We have Russian and Ukrainian communities near us, and some of them
always take an ocean dip at Coney Island on New Years Day. And of
course, we have the famous Coney Island Polar Bears Club
(founded 1903!!! see http://www.polarbearclub.org/)

Theresa
Old December 21st 04, 11:54 PM
Sherry

Why is it that nobody believes me about this?

Thr friction of the snow against the skin draws blood to the surface of the
body, and the coldness of the snow closes your pores so the heat stays in.

Well, I do recall some survival training that the Boy Scouts did when my son &
DH were Boy Scouting. It had to do with stripping one of the scouts down buck
naked in the snow and dumping cold water on them, then there were some skills
as to how to raise the body temp. quickly. I don't remember what.
They don't do that anymore. For several reasons I'm sure. It's not too kosher
to strip boys naked in the woods anymore, and I'm sure some Moms heard the
story and freaked out.
I didn't mind since I knew the air force guys very well who conducted the
exercise, and DH was always there too. But I *really* hated the bug-eating and
bark and weed-eating they taught them. I used to nag about it all the time.

Sherry
Old December 22nd 04, 12:26 AM
John F. Eldredge

--