Cat Escape, advice sought

Old December 4th 05, 10:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Default Cat Escape, advice sought

My cat escaped (indoors only, I live in a big city filled with strays).
Now gone three days. I'm hoping she's nearby. The last time she escaped
(a year ago) she was gone for 3 days, then i found her in a tree in our
small backyard. After that last incident, i rang a bell every time i
gave her tuna or something else she really liked. Always came running
in the house when she heard the bell. Now, is walking the neighborhood
ringing the bell going to help, or just make me look foolish? Have done
so a few times already, with no luck.

Best
Dan

Old December 4th 05, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

| My cat escaped (indoors only, I live in a big city filled with strays).
| Now gone three days. I'm hoping she's nearby. The last time she escaped
| (a year ago) she was gone for 3 days, then i found her in a tree in our
| small backyard. After that last incident, i rang a bell every time i
| gave her tuna or something else she really liked. Always came running
| in the house when she heard the bell. Now, is walking the neighborhood
| ringing the bell going to help, or just make me look foolish? Have done
| so a few times already, with no luck.

Don't walk around the neighbourhood ringing the bell, do it from your own
yard or door. If you go walk about with the bell then she will simply
follow the sound, and may/will end up in even more unfamiliar territory,
which may only be a block or two from where you are now.

I've had a cat go for 5 days before it came back, and I only spotted it by
chance thru' a chink in the curtain when I got a sight of her tail. Cat's
are pretty resilient and it's often surprising how long they can go away,
before coming back. If you keep trying with your bell, as soon as she is in
ear shot, she will probably come running and be relieved to hear something
familiar.

Keep us updated....

Old December 4th 05, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Dan wrote:
My cat escaped (indoors only, I live in a big city filled with strays).
Now gone three days. I'm hoping she's nearby. The last time she escaped
(a year ago) she was gone for 3 days, then i found her in a tree in our
small backyard. After that last incident, i rang a bell every time i
gave her tuna or something else she really liked. Always came running
in the house when she heard the bell. Now, is walking the neighborhood
ringing the bell going to help, or just make me look foolish? Have done
so a few times already, with no luck.

I got my baby back trhough a lot of hard work. Several lost pet sites
advise making a color flyer with a recent photo. Add heart-wrenching
text about "child's pet." Phone number and e-mail address. Post on
telephone poles near your house, and then work your way outward (they
can travel, people will pick them up and take them home some distance
away). Notify the humane societies. Run ads in the paper.

After all that, I made up 1/4 page flyers and distributed them door to
door. Finally, six weeks later, I got a call from someone who'd gotten
the flyer in their door *and* their daughter worked at a pet hypermart,
where the flyer was posted.

I'd walk around with the bell. She could be in someone's house or
hiding.

HTH

--Karen D.

Old December 5th 05, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

thanks. cat came back -- a bigger thread on this is on the health and
behavior group. appreciate the thoughts and advice.
Dan

Old December 23rd 05, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

I hope that you are able to find your cat! If you do may I suggest
getting it microchipped is costs anywhere from 40-60$ usually and can
really help getting your cat back to you if she is found and brought to
a vet or shelter. Best of Luck and keep us updated!