Cat in heat - behavior question

Old April 4th 04, 01:56 AM
KellyH

Default Cat in heat - behavior question

Hi there,
This question is about the same cat as before, in the "Cat in heat question"
thread. This cat has kittens that are now 9 weeks old, they are at my house
awaiting their spay appts. Beetle is at the shelter also waiting for her
spay appt, and is apparently in heat. Beetle has been adopted by a family,
and they came to the shelter today to visit her. Beetle was NOT herself.
She's normally very friendly, loves to be held. Today she was hissing and
swatting. We chalked it all up to "a bad day", and they are still
interested in adopting her, but were a little concerned. They need a very
friendly, easy-going cat, as they have a one-year old child. Could being in
heat cause her behavior change? Should she return to normal after her
spaying?

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old April 4th 04, 07:34 AM
Mary

Could being in
heat cause her behavior change? Should she return to normal after her
spaying?

Yes. She needs to be spayed now or the people may shy away from adopting her.
You can spay a cat in heat. You can even spay a pregnant cat.

Old April 4th 04, 05:35 PM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote in message
Could being in
heat cause her behavior change? Should she return to normal after her
spaying?

Yes. She needs to be spayed now or the people may shy away from adopting

her.
You can spay a cat in heat. You can even spay a pregnant cat.

One of the other volunteers and I went to check her out today. We took her
temp, just to make sure she didn't have an infection, and felt her underside
to see if maybe she was engorged. She feels pretty empty, so we are going
to have her spayed Tues, hold her for a couple days to observe, and if
everything goes well, she can go home.

Old April 4th 04, 07:20 PM

Kelly wrote:

She's normally very friendly, loves to be
held. Today she was hissing and swatting.
We chalked it all up to "a bad day", and
they are still interested in adopting her,
but were a little concerned. They need a
very friendly, easy-going cat, as they have
a one-year old child. Could being in heat
cause her behavior change? Should she
return to normal after her spaying?

When you consider the fact that
A) she is in heat
B) she is now out of your comfortable home and in a shelter situation,
which is extremly stressful and
C) she is dealing with the discomfort of her milk drying up it should
come as no surprise that this little girl is cranky. Once she is spayed
and out of the shelter in a less stressful environment, she should be
better.

I would caution that you reinforce to the people adopting her to never
allow their child alone with her unsupervised and start right away
teaching the child to be gentle when allowed to handle her specifically
because you have seen how this cat reacts to stress. Let's face it,
young kids ARE stressful and I doubt these parents have much, if any,
experience having young children and cats together so it's very
important to underline the right approach so they don't make mistakes
which result in the return of the cat later.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old April 4th 04, 08:16 PM
KellyH

wrote in message

When you consider the fact that
A) she is in heat
B) she is now out of your comfortable home and in a shelter situation,
which is extremly stressful and
C) she is dealing with the discomfort of her milk drying up it should
come as no surprise that this little girl is cranky. Once she is spayed
and out of the shelter in a less stressful environment, she should be
better.

I actually didn't want to bring her into the shelter this soon. I would
have preferred to let the kittens get adopted first, and then let Beetle
stay at my house until time for her spaying. A more senior person at the
shelter said I should go ahead and bring her into the shelter so she can dry
up more quickly, therefore allowing her to be spayed and available for
adoption sooner. When we had an outbreak of URI at the shelter last fall, I
had a mother and kittens I was fostering at home. I couldn't bring either
into the shelter, so we did the adoptions from my house, and the kittens
left over a two-week period. Then the mother stayed here until her spay.
By then the URI quarantine had passed, and the mother cat was only at the
shelter for a short while before being adopted. I really preferred the way
that went as opposed to separating like I did this time.

I would caution that you reinforce to the people adopting her to never
allow their child alone with her unsupervised and start right away
teaching the child to be gentle when allowed to handle her specifically
because you have seen how this cat reacts to stress. Let's face it,
young kids ARE stressful and I doubt these parents have much, if any,
experience having young children and cats together so it's very
important to underline the right approach so they don't make mistakes
which result in the return of the cat later.

I know, and all of our volunteers are very careful when adopting cats to
families with young children. These parents are pretty knowledgeable about
cats, and have really done their research about introducing cats and
children. The husband's mother has five cats, and they visit frequently and
are teaching their daughter appropriate behavior with cats. They want their
daughter to grow up appreciating animals. It's a refreshing change from the
"I just had a baby and now I have to get rid of my cats" calls we get.