Another BlueBird message

Old September 5th 03, 08:39 PM
JHBennett

JHBennett wrote:

Joy,
This kind of thing simply tears me up. Long sad story, but we lost

the
world's greatest dog to kidney failure. However, one thing that came

up,
which we didn't have time to pursue, was that the state university vet.
school was doing organ transplants. It is not beyone the realm of the
possible that Little Bit could receive a healhy kidney from another cat.
From the sound of things, Bluebird will need an assist to pull it off,

and
Little Bit could use some luck--which she's probably due, considering

things
haven't been going her way.

Well, whether one is willing to put another creature through that would
depend upon how one regards organ transplants for HUMANS! (Personally,
until they develop the ability to clone organs in a tank, independent of
other living creatures, I regard it as a form of cannbalism, and want
none of it!) Life is a fatal disease - we all have to die of something,
sometime, and postponing demise by extreme methods seems rather
pointless (IMO, of course). I often wish we humans had the choice for
ourselves that we have for our terminally ill companion animals.

I believe there would be a lengthy list of organ recipients who would take
issue with you. Taking one kidney from a donor wouldn't necessairly harm
that animal, depending on what the state of the art is, of course. It is
differences of opinion which prevent men from fighting to the death for the
affection of the same woman, you know ;-)
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 5th 03, 09:20 PM
Karen Chuplis

"JHBennett" wrote in message

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , JHBennett at

wrote on 9/5/03 6:33 AM:

Joy,
This kind of thing simply tears me up. Long sad story, but we lost

the
world's greatest dog to kidney failure. However, one thing that came

up,
which we didn't have time to pursue, was that the state university

vet.
school was doing organ transplants. It is not beyone the realm of the
possible that Little Bit could receive a healhy kidney from another

cat.
From the sound of things, Bluebird will need an assist to pull it off,

and
Little Bit could use some luck--which she's probably due, considering

things
haven't been going her way.
Hope for the best,
Jack

Unfortunately, kidney transplants have not been shown to be terribly
successful and one must also be able to care for the donor as well as

the
patient. It is not a suggested treatment at this time for cats

Karen

Not the best news either, Karen. Little Bit's situation, and I'd offer
Bluebird's suffering is greater, seems such that a long shot might be
warranted and I had to make the offering, since nobody had mentioned
transplants.
Sounds as though you know something of the subject, so you've raised

my
curiosity. Given that a healthy cat was used for a donor, what

exceptional
care would be required for it, as you seem to imply?
Cheers,
Jack

Oh, I don't think exceptional care is needed, but many people are simply not
in a position to add a cat to their household and the whole question is then
rife with ethical questions. Rather like people who have babies for marrow
transplant hopes. It can be difficult to integrate full grown cats in the
best of situations, I can't imagine doing it when one is extremely ill. I
think, personally, it would be difficult at best and perhaps not healthy
then in the end for either cat. Stress is *so* hard on cats who are healthy
let alone cats that are sick. I'd have to really consider it only worth it
for the cats if the transplants had an 80% success rate or something with a
really good quality of life return, and so far, this is not the case.

Karen

Old September 5th 03, 09:27 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Karen Chuplis wrote:
Unfortunately, kidney transplants have not been shown to be terribly
successful and one must also be able to care for the donor as well as the
patient. It is not a suggested treatment at this time for cats

I just read an article on either Catnip or Cat Watch about renal transplants.
It seems to be a real option for folks who live near a good feline hospital
(like Tufts or Cornell). The thing I didn't like one bit is that they get
the donor cats from "research colonies". The fact that these "research
colonies" exist makes my skin curl. I really do not support animal testing,
even if that means my babies would not benefit from that research.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 5th 03, 10:58 PM
Tanada

Yoj wrote:

I'm trusting my vet and much
more than that, God. I turned it over to Him as we sat at the vet's the
other day. I even asked Him to intervene for me on Little Bit's behalf.
I asked if it were possible and IF it were His will, would he save her.
I don't want her saved only to live an unhappy life. You know what I
mean. You know how much I love her. I trust God with her life
completely. If she can and should be saved, He WILL do it for me. I
believe that with all my heart. I'm living proof of that very love of
God !!!!!!!!! Ten years past when the doctors said there is no hope.
We can do no more for you. Maybe a week, but no longer......... and
here I am living what I consider a full, happy and content life 10 years
later. So I trust Him. Try to explain to the group. I know some will
not understand. But I do and that's all Little Bit needs. Gotta go.
I'm fading here. Not getting much sleep cuz I hate to give up any time
with her just in case. BTW, please thank those two ladies by e-mail for
me. I just can't do it. Thanks once AGAIN for your help.

Purrs and good thoughts continuing for Bluebird and Little Bit. She's a
wise woman and will do what is right for her and for Little Bit.

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine
Old September 5th 03, 11:04 PM
Tanada

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Well, whether one is willing to put another creature through that would
depend upon how one regards organ transplants for HUMANS! (Personally,
until they develop the ability to clone organs in a tank, independent of
other living creatures, I regard it as a form of cannbalism, and want
none of it!) Life is a fatal disease - we all have to die of something,
sometime, and postponing demise by extreme methods seems rather
pointless (IMO, of course). I often wish we humans had the choice for
ourselves that we have for our terminally ill companion animals.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here regarding organ
transplants, Evelyn. Yes, we're all going to die eventually, but, if my
kidney could help someone else, I'd gladly give it. I've seen kidney
donations give new life to others first hand, and am amazed how so
"little" a thing can do so much.

I do agree with you regarding Euthanasia. My only fear about dying is
that I may have to have a long prolonged and painful death. I don't
want that for any one I care about.

Pam S.
Old September 6th 03, 04:57 AM

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

Karen Chuplis wrote:
Unfortunately, kidney transplants have not been shown to be terribly
successful and one must also be able to care for the donor as well as the
patient. It is not a suggested treatment at this time for cats

I just read an article on either Catnip or Cat Watch about renal transplants.
It seems to be a real option for folks who live near a good feline hospital
(like Tufts or Cornell). The thing I didn't like one bit is that they get
the donor cats from "research colonies". The fact that these "research
colonies" exist makes my skin curl. I really do not support animal testing,
even if that means my babies would not benefit from that research.

I'm with you, Victor! Theoretically, if cloning is possible, surely
cloning of organs from the recipient's own cells must be a possibility,
somewhere in the future. If for humans, why not for cats, dogs or
whatever?

Old September 7th 03, 08:29 AM
Yoj

"Bev" wrote in message

This is so sad, my love and prayers are on their way.

xx Bev
--
God may have created man before woman but there is always a rough

draft
before the masterpiece.

You people make me cry, and I've never even met LittleBit! You are
everything BlueBird says you are - the best! I am sending all your
messages to her, and she is saving them to read later. She feels they
will be very comforting.

Yesterday a friend brought BlueBird some fish, and LittleBit got excited
and actually ate quite a bit of it. She hasn't been eating, and has
mostly been acting as though she was - and wanted to be - alone. That
really tore BB up, because LittleBit had always followed her around from
room to room, and needed to be close to her all the time. BB had a
neighbor get some more fish, and LittleBit ate that today, and has been
acting almost like her old self. BB knows the improvement isn't
permanent, but it is cheering just the same.

Joy

Old September 7th 03, 06:01 PM
polonca12000

I'm so glad to hear LittleBit is enjoying the fish.
Best wishes and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip Yesterday a friend brought BlueBird some fish, and LittleBit got

Old September 7th 03, 08:48 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:56 GMT, "Yoj" wrote:

"Bev" wrote in message

[...]

So glad that Bluebird has something that Little Bit will eat.

Purrs continuing from my Little Bit, Sammy, and Rocky