rec.pets.cats.breeds

Old September 8th 03, 09:07 AM
Yowie

Default rec.pets.cats.breeds

"Noreen Cooper" wrote in message
In news.groups BarB wrote:

: I hope it would be as civil as rpc.anecdotes and community. I think
: we agree we would like a civil group, we just see different methods of
: achieving it. We aren't facing massive off-topic floods, a lot of
: spam and advertizing or trolls who morph their names. Anyone remember
: the days when trolling rpc was a recognized internet sport?

And you speak as if trolls no longer seek rpc out. ;-) As I understand
it, cats and kids are the two sure bets when it comes to troll sport.

I can only speak for rpca, but trolls are pretty rare there. We have a
unique way of dealing with them: we post recipes instead of responding to
the troll itself. This seems to bores the troll, but keeps us happy (as well
all seem to be foodies as well). I don't know if rpca is unique, but a troll
attempt is pretty darn obvious to most punters and newbies are quickly,
although gently, reminded not to feed them (but can post recipes if they
want to for the troll cook-off). There have been odd attempts at trollery
and one personal vendetta that spilled over to RPCA which we studiously
ignored, but really, trolls have not been a problem since we started the
troll cook off idea several years ago.

If the body of the group knows how to deal with trolls and sets an example
that trolls are simply not to be responded to (at least, not in the way that
the troll intended), I really think that trolling stops being an issue, but
then again, rpca tends to be a cohesive group that supports its regulars. We
sort of consider ourselves "the RPCA family". Sure, there are personality
differences but they are generally put aside "for the sake of the group". It
does take a bit of effort, but if enough people care about the welfare of
the group, then it can work.

Yowie

Old September 8th 03, 10:41 AM
Lois Reay

u...
In news.groups BarB wrote:

[...]

Well said Yowie.

Lois

Old September 8th 03, 11:53 AM
~*SooZy*~

"Lois Reay" wrote in message

u...
In news.groups BarB wrote:

[...]

yes I agree too.......

Old September 8th 03, 07:16 PM
Noreen Cooper

In news.groups Yowie wrote:

: And you speak as if trolls no longer seek rpc out. ;-) As I understand
: it, cats and kids are the two sure bets when it comes to troll sport.

: I can only speak for rpca, but trolls are pretty rare there. We have a
: unique way of dealing with them: we post recipes instead of responding to
: the troll itself. This seems to bores the troll, but keeps us happy (as well
: all seem to be foodies as well).

I've not frequented rpca but mostly hang out of
rec.pets.cats.health+behavior. I'm imagining rpca is more
community-centered where the controversial issues of cat care are not
debated. You would be less likely to have a troll problem then, but it is
true some groups handle trolls better than others. Ignoring or killfiling
obvious trolling is easy.

The bigger issue at hand is whether rec.pets.cats.breed, by virtue of
proven topic volatility, can sustain any long-term harassment by either
trolls or anti-breeders as a completely unmoderated forum. A real troll
would let it go. Someone who is on a mission to do away with all breeders
isn't going away by using your recipe techniques.

Noreen