cat with diaorrhea - but only when she goes outside

Old May 25th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

Default cat with diarrhoea - but only when she goes outside

On Mon, 24 May 2010 09:08:32 +0100, Mike Scott
wrote:

Gandalf wrote:
If she'll stay indoors (some cats absolutely won't) that might be all
the 'treatment' she needs. Taking her to the vet can be pretty
expensive.

Especially if it's not something a vet can treat. Knocking on £50 just
for the vet to look in the box, never mind analysis of stools.

Yes, she will stay indoors, but loves to be out - she absolutely loves
to run the garden length.

I know ALL about that: my elderly cat has multiple health problems, and
I'm out of work

Are you feeding her a 'good' cat food? There is a tremendous difference
in price.... and quality, among cat foods. Basically, you get what you
pay for.

Yes. It's some of the James Wellbeloved range - I'm told this is pretty
good stuff.

I hope your cat's problems are over. I really worry when my cat isn't
well

She's been indoors a few days now, and the problem has cleared up
completely. Maybe we'll wait a while, then let her out under observation
for short periods and see what happens.

Thanks again to all.

When my (indoor only) cat first got sick, over a year ago, I decided to
start feeding her a very expensive, 'natural' food. I figured: better
food, might help her immune system, etc.

Well, slowly, over time, she started to develop diarrhea. Very
intermittent at first, then happening more often.

At first I thought it was due to her health problems. Then I decided to
switch her back to her previous food.

Her diarrhea disappeared as soon as she was eating (100%) her previous
food.

It is possible that you cat's food, along with something outdoors, might
be upsetting her GI tract.

If you cat is otherwise healthy, if she was mine, I would try another
food, just in case her lower GI tract is always a little irritated, and
then a little grass or other vegetation is enough to cause the diarrhea.

If her GI tract IS irritated all the time, it could get much worse,
before too long.

Switching to a different food might help her, and, it shouldn't hurt
her. But it may give you some valuable information

Look for a food with a different grain than what's in what she's eating
now. Add the new food to the 'old' food, and gradually add more of the
new food over a week to 2 weeks, to make the adjustment easy for her.

Good luck.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100524-1, 05/24/2010
Tested on: 5/24/2010 9:04:02 PM

Old May 28th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default cat with diaorrhea - but only when she goes outside

"Kelly Greene" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Reformatted a little but kept the gist. Vet time, yes and I agree, she's
eating something or has some dietary deficiency that is driving her to
eat
something that isnt agreeing with her.

You may also want to get her on a good wet food diet. It can be done.
I've succeeded with 5 cats in the past year.

Um, I'm the one that said to the other person vet time. Mine are all on
wet.

Old June 11th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike Scott

Gandalf wrote:
On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:10:10 -0400, jmc
wrote:

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Scott exclaimed (5/21/2010 9:01 AM):
An odd one here.

We have two cats (mother - about 6 years old - and daughter); both
normally go out, both eat the same food (dry kibbles - neither will
touch wet food) which they've been on for years.

The mum has lately developed a problem with diaorrhea. But this only
seems to occur when she's allowed outside - keep her in for a couple of
days, and the problem clears; allow her out, and the problem recurs
quite quickly. She does seem very keen on eating grass from the garden

.....snip....
Finding the cause of the diarrhea is also important.

Or, just keep her inside.

But do get her to the vet, ASAP.

I thought I'd give an update, not that it's helpful.

The problem persists, she's fine when kept indoors.

However, my wife took her to the vet today. He was just as stumped as we
are. Says she's a perfectly healthy-looking moggy, and has no idea what
could be causing the trouble. He wondered if more frequent worming might
help (probably not - the problem was there immediately after worming
recently) and wondered if a more bland diet might help on the offchance
her digestive system was a bit delicate. (We could try that; but he's
only guessing).

So, not really further forward.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old June 12th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

[...]

Meanwhile you don't have a problem if you keep her inside.

Old June 12th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike Scott

cybercat wrote:
The problem persists, she's fine when kept indoors.

However, my wife took her to the vet today. He was just as stumped as we
are. Says she's a perfectly healthy-looking moggy, and has no idea what
could be causing the trouble. He wondered if more frequent worming might
help (probably not - the problem was there immediately after worming
recently) and wondered if a more bland diet might help on the offchance
her digestive system was a bit delicate. (We could try that; but he's only
guessing).

So, not really further forward.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Meanwhile you don't have a problem if you keep her inside.

No physical problem. But it's quite clear she'd really love to be
allowed out. Not that either cat ever goes far - but there are lots of
hidey holes and space to run in the garden.

Old June 15th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
[...]

Mine would love to go out too, but happily they are attached to a human with
a slightly larger forebrain than they have, so instead, they sit in windows
and enjoy the smells and sights without the danger of disease or injury the
outside brings. Everywhere, not just in the US. Every seen the cam someone
used to find out that cats do the same thing outdoors as they do indoors all
day? 5% play, 95 percent lounging and sleeping.

Old June 15th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote

Mine would love to go out too, but happily they are attached to a human

with
a slightly larger forebrain than they have,

Lol!

Well, Daisy (ressurrected semi-feral) got out just once and was terrified
she'd lose us when the door shut (screen, leads to fenced backyard). This
is a kitty who can barely meow and her purrs are more felt than heard. She
started almost screaming and Cash ran back in panic to let us know she
wanted in NOW!

She ran in and jumped on the sofa where Don was and just smoozed him for 30
mins.

Old June 15th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cshenk" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote

Mine would love to go out too, but happily they are attached to a human

with
a slightly larger forebrain than they have,

Lol!

Well, Daisy (ressurrected semi-feral) got out just once and was terrified
she'd lose us when the door shut (screen, leads to fenced backyard). This
is a kitty who can barely meow and her purrs are more felt than heard.
She started almost screaming and Cash ran back in panic to let us know she
wanted in NOW!

She ran in and jumped on the sofa where Don was and just smoozed him for
30 mins.

heh! I think I wrote here about early on when Gracie was young and new here,
she ran out the front door (we live on a busy street, residential but people
"cut through" and speed) and I shrieked, instantly in tears "GRACIE
NOOOO!!!!!!" so she circled the azaleas between the front wall and the
front sidewalk then ran back into the front door, eyes wide, face total
alarm, like "w-w-w-WHAT???!!" And she never, ever tried it again.

Old June 15th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

wanted in NOW!

heh! I think I wrote here about early on when Gracie was young and new
here, she ran out the front door (we live on a busy street, residential
but people "cut through" and speed) and I shrieked, instantly in tears
"GRACIE NOOOO!!!!!!" so she circled the azaleas between the front wall
and the front sidewalk then ran back into the front door, eyes wide, face
total alarm, like "w-w-w-WHAT???!!" And she never, ever tried it again.

Purrfect! I've always converted my kitties to indoor with no trouble.

With Daisy, she has a purch on the pet carriers inside our fully screened
porch (nice silky rug on top for her). There she can survey her yard and
bitch at the birds while dreaming in safety of being a ferocious wild kitty
again.

Old June 18th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cshenk" wrote
With Daisy, she has a purch on the pet carriers inside our fully screened
porch (nice silky rug on top for her). There she can survey her yard and
bitch at the birds while dreaming in safety of being a ferocious wild
kitty again.

This is how they are happiest, totally absorbed in the sights and sounds,
and safe on top of it.