older cat

Old November 10th 03, 02:31 PM
Judy

Default older cat

I have an older cat (we got her from a shelter 8 years ago and they didn't
know how old she was), who seems to be having some trouble jumping. Jessie
can still get up to chairs, but higher jumps are just not happening. I also
have two 2 year old males who seem to have fun chasing her and trying to
push her away from her food. She'll sleep next to Oscar, but she won't have
much to do with Felix. Any suggestions as to how I can make it easier for
her.
Judy

Old November 10th 03, 02:48 PM
Wendy

The only think I can think of is to make sure she isn't overweight and stays
as active as she can. She may have a little arthritis or maybe is just not
as nimble as when she was younger (that happens to all of us lol). If your
really concerned have her seen by the vet. If you suspect arthritis DO NOT
give the cat aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen etc. These can kill a cat.

Wendy

Old November 10th 03, 03:52 PM
Phil P.

"Judy" wrote in message
t...
I have an older cat (we got her from a shelter 8 years ago and they didn't
know how old she was), who seems to be having some trouble jumping. Jessie
can still get up to chairs, but higher jumps are just not happening. I

also
have two 2 year old males who seem to have fun chasing her and trying to
push her away from her food. She'll sleep next to Oscar, but she won't

have
much to do with Felix. Any suggestions as to how I can make it easier for
her.
Judy

I think a thorough geriatric exam is in order including blood and serum
chemistry tests. Also, you may want to speak to your vet about potassium
supplementation and possible weight control.

Here's an article about potassium and geriatric cats that you might find
beneficial.

http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8KevP_O...RIC%20CATS.htm

Good luck.

Phil

Old November 10th 03, 07:26 PM
Mary

"Judy" wrote in message
t...
I have an older cat (we got her from a shelter 8 years ago and they

didn't
know how old she was), who seems to be having some trouble jumping.

Jessie
can still get up to chairs, but higher jumps are just not happening.

I also
have two 2 year old males who seem to have fun chasing her and

trying to
push her away from her food. She'll sleep next to Oscar, but she

won't have
much to do with Felix. Any suggestions as to how I can make it

easier for
her.
Judy

Judy, when you fix the food can you make her her very own and take it
into a separate room sothat she can eat in peace? That might help. The
only other things I can think of is to put anything she wants to get
to down low, to see a vet about what is hurting her, and to give her
access to lower windows such as the old "patio" sliding glass doors
that can be gazed out of from the floor. Good luck with your old baby,
they get sweeter the older they get!