Kitten intestinal noises?

Old July 20th 04, 09:09 PM
KellyH

Default Kitten intestinal noises?

I have a litter of foster kittens, about 8-9 weeks old. I was just upstairs
playing with them, and one of the kittens was making all these digestive
noises, like gurgling sounds. I looked to see if he had anything leaking
out of his butt, didn't see anything. He was playing and acting normal. I
know that they have worms, and I gave them a dose of Strongid last week and
they are due for another dose tomorrow. Could it be the worms causing those
noises? They have had runny stools, too.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old July 20th 04, 09:27 PM
kaeli

In article TZeLc.126867$a24.73840@attbi_s03,
enlightened us with...
I have a litter of foster kittens, about 8-9 weeks old. I was just upstairs
playing with them, and one of the kittens was making all these digestive
noises, like gurgling sounds. I looked to see if he had anything leaking
out of his butt, didn't see anything. He was playing and acting normal. I
know that they have worms, and I gave them a dose of Strongid last week and
they are due for another dose tomorrow. Could it be the worms causing those
noises? They have had runny stools, too.

Well, have you ever had gas or an upset stomach with diarrhea?
Your stomach/intestinal tract can also make some interesting noises.
*heh*

Worms are a possible cause of intestinal upset, but noises are generally
the result of hunger or gas. The worms (or other parasites) might be
causing the gas problems.
Worms should be treated by a vet. Few (if any) OTC worm treatments cover
ALL worm types and may not be as strong (read: effective) as prescribed
meds. Only a microscopic exam of fecal matter will allow the absolute
identification of worm type (you can guess, but you may guess wrong or
think there's only one type where there are two or more). If the worming
aid you are using was not prescribed by a vet, you may want to take the
kittens in for an exam. There are other intestinal parasites besides the
common worm varieties that will not be killed by worming meds.

HTH
~kaeli~
Support your local medical examiner: die strangely!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old July 20th 04, 09:37 PM
Sharon Talbert

Diet could be a consideration, but I recommend you consult the vet about
doing a second fecal to rule out other parasites. We've found in our
rescue of feral kittens that roundworm is sometimes the least of their
worries. Stronget is a good wormer (for horses and kittens) but you may
have coccidia or some other nasty in there, which requires a different
medication.

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats

Old July 21st 04, 12:19 AM
KellyH

"kaeli" wrote in message

[...]

The wormer (Strongid) is provided by the shelter and is routinely given to
all incoming cats and kittens. The vet doesn't specifically prescribe it to
each cat or kitten. I saw roundworms in the kittens' poo when I first
brought them home last week.
The girl kitten is at the vet's right now to be spayed tomorrow. I'm going
to call them and ask to do a fecal while she is there.
The kittens at first would not eat Iams dry kitten food (not my personal
choice, but it's what's given to me). I gave them Wellness canned and some
dry to nibble on. They don't eat much dry, but they really like the canned.