Thyroid surgery

Old July 16th 04, 07:39 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:04:55 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

Buddha's checkup today revealed that she is indeed hyperthyroid. The doctor
showed me how enlarged her thyroid is now. I'm kicking myself because
another vet saw this a year ago, but because her T3 levels were only
high-normal I did nothing. (Either I misunderstood what this doctor's
partner said about medication, or he didn't tell me about Tapazole.)

Our (the senior one there and founder of the practice 20+ yeats ago) vet
told me that cats do best with radiation treatment, but that his own cat did
well with surgery, which he performed. Because I trust him, if her blood
tests for renal function etc. come back okay, I think we will opt for the
surgery. (We would have to take her elsewhere for the radiation treatment.
Cost is not so much a factor--surgery is about $600 and radiation $1,000,
not such a big difference--as trust. Ever since my friend's kitten came back
from a spaying declawed I have some fears about vets I don't know.) If her
bloodwork is okay, we will have an ultrasound done of her heart to make sure
that it can withstand the surgery.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had this surgery done for their
cat. He explained the risks involved with the parathyroid--apparently they
leave a bit of that in there, but on rare occasions cats who have the
surgery do not recover parathyroid function.

On the good side, our fat girl has lost three pounds since her last checkup.
I want to think it is the canned food, but the vet told me cats lose weight
due to being hyperthyroid. He also told me that Boo is the fattest cat he
has ever seen with an overactive thyroid. She is a small-boned female who
now weighs 13.6 pounds. She is a really sweet and quirky cat, and if my
failure to act last year has hurt her I'm just going to want to die.

We do tje best we can with the information we have at the moment.We
are purring that things work out for the best. I am sure that in 20
years (or maybe even 5) treatment may be better and decidions easier
to make -- but that is not "now".
Best of luck. MLB
Old July 16th 04, 07:46 PM
m. L. Briggs

[...]

We are sending purrs and get well wishes for Budda. MLB

Old July 16th 04, 09:04 PM

"Mary" wrote:

I would like to hear from anyone who has had this surgery done for their
cat. He explained the risks involved with the parathyroid--apparently they
leave a bit of that in there, but on rare occasions cats who have the
surgery do not recover parathyroid function.

I just went through all that in December if you remember the posts and
advice I got from many in this group.

First of all the vet should be telling you thyroidectomy surgery has a
risk element as it has to be very precise.

We went with the radiation but *only* after a period of tapazole to
see how the kidney numbers looked like once T4 was in normal range.
Our 14 year old turned out to have good kidneys so went ahead, but
many cats once treated for hyperthyroidism unmask underlying kidney
problems. Kidney tests at this stage are meaningless until you get the
cat regulated on tapazole.

Pilling should not be an issue. When we were giving our cat tapazole
before he finally received radio iodine treatment, we got from our vet
a chicken flavored soft treat compounded with the proper dosage of
tapazole. They are packaged in individual blister packs.

He loved them and it sure made it easy compared to traditional
pilling. it was so easy that it was tempting to stay with them instead
of going with radiation.

We got the double dosage ones and then sliced them with a knife into 2
servings. This was cheaper than buying single dose treats. They are
very easy to cut as they are a very soft treat and the blister pack is
re-sealable to keep the unused part fresh. We also received drugless
samples in different flavors to try first but he loved them all. There
is apparently no taste of the drug at all and it is evenly distributed
throughout the treat. In fact today we getting some antibiotic from
the vet in a flavored treat compound for our other cat who has a mild
fever from an anal gland infection.

Good luck

-mhd

Old July 16th 04, 11:10 PM
Mary

"m. L. Briggs" wrote

We are sending purrs and get well wishes for Budda. MLB

Thank you. She's so neat! I have to be much more careful in the future about
monitoring her health--Cheeks too. My last cat never had any illness and
lived to be 20, but I surely cannot assume that these two will.

Old July 16th 04, 11:16 PM
Mary

wrote :

We went with the radiation but *only* after a period of tapazole to see

how the kidney numbers looked like once T4 was in normal range. Our 14 year
old turned out to have good kidneys so went ahead, but many cats once
treated for hyperthyroidism unmask underlying kidney problems.

Now Ido remember you discussing this. So she could test normal for kidney
function then after treatment NOT test normal.

Kidney tests at this stage are meaningless until you get the cat

regulated on tapazole.

Okay, I'll run this by the doctor too. He really should have told me this
today, I think.

Pilling should not be an issue. When we were giving our cat tapazole

before he finally received radio iodine treatment, we got from our vet a
chicken flavored soft treat compounded with the proper dosage of
tapazole.

Sounds perfect for chowhound Buddha!

Good luck

Thank you. I saved your message in its entirety for reference and will go
Google the topic for last year's discussion.

Old July 17th 04, 10:11 AM
CajunPrincess

"Mary" wrote in message r.com...
[...]

I had a cat that had hyperthyroidism and kidney problems in the latter
part of her life and wasn't a candidate for either surgery or
radiation, so I can't comment first hand about the experience with
surgery. Having said that, if money isn't an issue, it doesn't seem
to me that there's a really good reason not to choose the radiation
treatment if your kitty is a candidate and isn't too old-vets who give
the radio iodine treatment have to invest in special equipment and get
special licenses; IMO someone who's that invested in a special
procedure isn't likely to do something stupid like what happened to
your friend's pet. Would you not go to an oncologist if your cat was
diagnosed with an unusual cancer just because you hadn't seen that vet
before? Plus, as I understand it, thyroid surgery is tricky to get
right and any surgery involves physical trauma to some extent. I am
under the impression that the surgery isn't done that much any more
now that the number of places doing the radio iodine treatment have
increased.