[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old January 31st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:

DH *loves* big women - had it not been for my health I would never had
bothered to have the GB surgery. But my blood pressure was through the
roof
and all my blood work results were in the red - the doctor told me I'd
have
a heart attack or stroke within 5 years if I didn't lose weight. Since
I've
lost the weight I've been disgustingly healthy and DH has learned to live
with less of me! ;

Oh, I think GB has its place in society - for those who will die
without it. What makes me sick and sad is that it has become a "quick
fix" for young people and teens.

Oh, I am *APALLED* at the TV commercials by a local bariatric surgery clinic
that is offering GB for people who are as little as 40 pounds overweight. I
think this is *HORRIBLE*! This is a *VERY* dangerous surgery, and it
involves *MAJOR* lifestyle changes or you could kill yourself. Also, it is
*NOT* a quick fix since it will only take off 80% of your excess weight
(*IF* you stick to the proper diet) and it only works for 5 years before
your body is back to "normal" (the stomach stretches and the intestines
compensate by becoming more efficient). The *ONLY* reason I had it done was
that I was given only about 5 years to live if I didn't. I was fortunate in
that it was very successful for me - but it was by *NO* means an "easy"
fix - I don't eat *any* sugar, I keep a close eye on my portion control, and
I exercise for an hour a day, 6 days a week!

snip

I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be
big.
My mom tells me I look just like my grandmother who was also always a big
woman. All of my life, no matter how hard I dieted and exercised, my
body
just didn't want to let go of the weight until the surgery forced it to.

Did you by any chance have insulin resistance or polycystic ovary
syndrome? I have the latter and have a heck of a time fighting my
weight, and have since puberty. Prior to that I was a string bean.

Yes, I was insulin resistant (I had a hysterectomy in '91, so the second
condition wasn't an issue). Here are my pre-surgery stats:

Weight: 240 lbs
Blood pressu 200 over 130
Insulin resistant, at risk of diabetes
Cholesterol: 328
Triglycerides: 285
Blood glucose level 15mmol/l *before* meals
Extremely high HDL/LDL ratio
Degenerative disk disease, bad hips, bad knees (and would probably have
needed joint replacement had I not lost the weight)

And my post surgery stats two years after:

Weight: 125 lbs
Blood pressu 110 over 70
Cholesterol: 136
Triglycerides: 78
Blood glucose level 3mmol/l before meals
Low-Normal HDL/LDL ratio

snip

I agree totally! I get *SO* ****ed off when my SIL calls my youngest
granddaughter "porker" - she is *NOT* overweight by even an ounce
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/Raven/), she's just not as thin as her
sisters are. But he *has* made her extremely conscious of her weight and
what she eats and she's only *7 years old*!!!

She's cute and she's definitely not fat! Such teasing is probably one
of the worst things you can do to a young girl. My sister did it to me
when I was a string bean and it gave me such a complex about my body.
I still remember it 35 years later!

I can see it affecting her already. Eating is no long just a bodily
function to her, it's an "issue". She will either end up being overweight
(the lesser of the two outcomes IMHO), or she will be anexoric.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-L.

Old February 1st 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Too little fuel, and your body goes into starvation mode.

I doubt I'm there, I'm not really hungry between meals.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 1st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:49:23 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"badwilson" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Enfilade" wrote in message
ps.com...

I'm watching "The View" and one of their "hot topics" was whether
women should stop wearing certain types of clothing as they get
older (the example used was women who were over 40 shouldn't wear
"Juicies" work-out
clothes.

You'll have to clue me in on this. I don't know what "Juicies" are.

Workout wear and t-shirts, the difference being that a "Juicies"
brand tracksuit is $300, whereas I got a nice velour set at Stitches
for $20. ***

I was ill a few years ago and lost a lot of weight. I was being
sized for some kind of bracelet or watch and had to get a "large"
size, much to the surprise of the sizer. I told her I had big
bones. She said, "I used to think "big boned" was just how some
people said "Fat" but you don't have any fat on you and yet the
diameter of your wrist is really big..."

You simply cannot start with the bodyframe of a Mack truck and expect
to build a sportscar on it

(At 130 pounds, friends and family thought I looked "Frighteningly
anorexic." People always presume I'm 30 lbs lighter than I really
am.) --Fil

I certainly couldn't have used that as an excuse - every inch on me
was something I shoved down my throat! I have what Ben calls "itty
bitty birdie bones". My wrist is 5 3/4" around (I have to take out
*ALL* the extra links in watch bands and they *STILL* don't fit tight
enough). I wear a size 4 ring.

I'm down to 125lb at 5'5" and I still look a bit chubby around the
middle and upper arms - the ideal weight for my height and my frame
starts at 110lb which, given my teeny tiny bones, I should be at. My
"range" is 110lb to 125lb, so I'm *just* within my correct weight
range.

I don't know what charts you're looking at, but that's really, really low.
The general guide is 100 lbs for 5 foot and 5 lbs for every inch over 5
foot, so you are just right. Under 125 for 5'5" is underweight, IMO and
allows for absolutely NO muscle tone whatsoever.

It's usually given as a range to accomodate bone structure. Since bones
weigh quite a lot, if you have large bones you have to count that in your
weight estimates. If, like me, you have *really* tiny bones, then more of
your weight will be fat. There's also different weights given for men (who
tend to have more muscle mass which weighs more than fat).

As Fil noted, some people at 5'5" look anorexic when they get below 140,
some, like me, still look pudgy around the waist and upper arms at 125.

My mother had a short, heavy-boned structure. We once compared wrist
sizes, using the technique of a string wrapped around the wrist just
back of the hand, since that point is basically just skin and bones,
whether the person is skinny or fat. To both our surprises, my
mother's wrist was as large around as mine, even though I was a foot
taller and 100 pounds or so heavier. My father, on the other hand,
had a small-boned structure, and his wrist was noticeably smaller.

I inherited some of my mother's build. My arms and legs are slightly
shorter than average, given the size of my torso. When my father and
I would stand side by side, I was two inches taller than him; seated,
I was about 7 inches taller than him.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old February 1st 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
Oh, I think GB has its place in society - for those who will die
without it. What makes me sick and sad is that it has become a "quick
fix" for young people and teens.

No one can have that surgery w/o complete workup medically and
hearing all about it from their docs, including the seldom-known, seldom-
discussed-in-public *other* lasting side effects/results; this is radical
major surgery and after their docs explain these things as well, I would
think many people of whatever age, sex, or body build would be totally
"turned off" and change their minds re having it.

I agree but unfortunately there are doctors performing it on 16 year
olds. I kid you not.

Weight loss is an endless subject, but my docs keep telling me that
you can eat less, diet, eat this and/or that forever but weight loss will
not occur on a regular or significant basis unless exercise (preferably
aerobic) is involved regularly. From my experience it appears to be
the truth.

Mine as well. Barring illness, that is.

-L.

Old February 1st 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Yes, I was insulin resistant (I had a hysterectomy in '91, so the second
condition wasn't an issue). Here are my pre-surgery stats:

Weight: 240 lbs
Blood pressu 200 over 130
Insulin resistant, at risk of diabetes
Cholesterol: 328
Triglycerides: 285
Blood glucose level 15mmol/l *before* meals
Extremely high HDL/LDL ratio
Degenerative disk disease, bad hips, bad knees (and would probably have
needed joint replacement had I not lost the weight)

And my post surgery stats two years after:

Weight: 125 lbs
Blood pressu 110 over 70
Cholesterol: 136
Triglycerides: 78
Blood glucose level 3mmol/l before meals
Low-Normal HDL/LDL ratio

Wow - huge change. How long did it take you before you saw a
significant change in your weight? Also, did you have reconstructive
surgery to remove the excess skin? My ex-BIL has GB and is considering
plastic surgery to remove his hanging "tire" belly.

I can see it affecting her already. Eating is no long just a bodily
function to her, it's an "issue". She will either end up being overweight
(the lesser of the two outcomes IMHO), or she will be anexoric.

They *really* need to watch the messages they send her. I suffered
anorexia in college, and have battled weight all my life, either too
much or too little. It wasn't until I hit my mid 30's that I began to
be comfortable with who I was in my body. Society plays a number on
young girls, too. It's just sick.

-L.

Old February 1st 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I started losing weight the first week - you could tell a marked difference
the first month - in six months I'd lost 80 pounds. Since then it was
*very* gradual (probably what a normal person would have lost on a normal
diet).

I didn't have plastic surgery - I did the GB surgery for health reasons, not
to enter any bikini contests. Besides, I'm too much of a chicken about pain
to endure that much pain just for vanity's sake. I'm lucky in that I never
was a pretty girl, so I've always put more stock in my mind and my feelings
than what I look like.

Also, I joke about it, but actually I didn't have that much loose skin
afterwards. I think the excessive exercise and yoga helped, but mostly it
was that my skin is *SO* oily that I still get zits at 54-years-old, so I
guess my skin still has lots of elasticity. I would say I have the "normal"
amount of sagginess for a woman my age, but no more. And I would get down
and kiss the feet of the person who invented support panty hose! ;

I can see it affecting her already. Eating is no long just a bodily
function to her, it's an "issue". She will either end up being
overweight
(the lesser of the two outcomes IMHO), or she will be anexoric.

They *really* need to watch the messages they send her. I suffered
anorexia in college, and have battled weight all my life, either too
much or too little. It wasn't until I hit my mid 30's that I began to
be comfortable with who I was in my body. Society plays a number on
young girls, too. It's just sick.

Agreed. I talked to my daughter about it and she undertsands, but my SIL is
a dolt!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

-L.

Old February 1st 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:20:15 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Too little fuel, and your body goes into starvation mode.

I doubt I'm there, I'm not really hungry between meals.

Starvation mode basically means that your metabolism is set as low as
possible, in order to get by on what you are eating. The diet you
described does sound rather small, not to mention possibly not
balanced in nutrients. I don't know how vigorous your yoga workouts
are, but if you do prolonged aerobic exercise (say, walking fast for
half an hour), do you find yourself getting light-headed? This would
be a possible sign of low blood sugar, caused by not having the
calories to spare.

The best advice might be to consult a nutritionist.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old February 1st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote

I'm lucky in that I never was a pretty girl, so I've always put more

stock in my mind and my feelings
than what I look like.

This is smart even for pretty girls to do. I have noticed that women who
have a lot of their self worth tied up in their looks have a really hard
time aging, and tend to do ridiculous things. (And I bet many would beg to
differ about your having been/being pretty.)

Old February 1st 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

I'm lucky in that I never was a pretty girl, so I've always put more

stock in my mind and my feelings
than what I look like.

This is smart even for pretty girls to do. I have noticed that women who
have a lot of their self worth tied up in their looks have a really hard
time aging, and tend to do ridiculous things. (And I bet many would beg to
differ about your having been/being pretty.)

Yeah, beauty queens often have problems with aging - but brains only sharpen
over time.

And no, I'm not being coy when I say I was never pretty - I really wasn't -
no big loss, it never bothered me because I never did care about what other
people thought of me (the up side of being very self-absorbed! ;).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 1st 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John F. Eldredge wrote:
possible, in order to get by on what you are eating. The diet you
described does sound rather small, not to mention possibly not
balanced in nutrients. I don't know how vigorous your yoga workouts

I do eat a balanced diet, I think. There's plenty of fruits and
vegetables, as well as lean protein sources.

are, but if you do prolonged aerobic exercise (say, walking fast for
half an hour), do you find yourself getting light-headed? This would

Nope, never been lightheaded in my life.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM