Medical Research: Kitty Alzheimer's?

Old December 12th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne

Default Medical Research: Kitty Alzheimer's?

Interesting medical article online about a study published in the
Journal of Feline Medicine. It's about the development of Alzheimer's
Disease in kitties, based on research performed at the Universities of
Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Bristol and California.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=58305

IMO, a key passage (although I wonder if really Dr Moore intended to
say that a cat owner should share meals with their pet):

******
Experts suggest that good diet, mental stimulation and companionship
can reduce the risk of dementia in both humans and cats. Dr Gunn Moore
explained: "If humans and their cats live in a poor environment with
little company and stimulation, they are both at higher risk of
dementia. However, if the owner plays with the cat, it is good for both
human and cat. A good diet enriched with antioxidants is also helpful
in warding off dementia, so a cat owner sharing healthy meals like
chicken and fish with their pet will benefit them both."
*****

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
posting via Google

Old December 12th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:14:41 -0800, Jeanne wrote:

[...]

TuTu has her own food, but when I am eating, she wants a chance to "taste"
whatever it is. I give her morsels which sometimes she rejects. It,
however, satisfies her curiosity. MLB

Old December 12th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Jeanne wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting this, I found it very interesting. The vet says KFC has
"a touch" of Alzheimers, and I'm sure he's right.
We manage it well between us, which is to say that Kitty is blissfully
unaware about her inability to find the litterbox in the room she is in,
because she forgets it's in the next room and she needs to go there, and me
not getting freaked out about accidents from a very elderly ladycat.

Tweed

Old December 13th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension_on_the_wire

Christina Websell wrote:
Thanks for posting this, I found it very interesting. The vet says KFC has
"a touch" of Alzheimers, and I'm sure he's right.
We manage it well between us, which is to say that Kitty is blissfully
unaware about her inability to find the litterbox in the room she is in,
because she forgets it's in the next room and she needs to go there, and me
not getting freaked out about accidents from a very elderly ladycat.

Interesting post. One point I read in another article about
Alzheimer's in humans gave a list of activities which were
demonstrated to give sufficient stimulation to reduce the risk
of Alzheimer's. In that list, was included crossword puzzles,
and dance classes! So now I plan to dance with the kitties
every day!

--tension

Kitty FC rises again Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 4 May 7th 05 03:41 AM
Picture of my kitty..... Gandalf Cat anecdotes 22 May 8th 04 04:43 PM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 04:28 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM