kitten falling

Old January 8th 05, 05:26 PM
ken

Default kitten falling

ken Jan 8, 8:24 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
From: "ken" - Find messages by this author
Date: 8 Jan 2005 08:24:03 -0800
Subject: kitten falling
original | Remove | Report Abuse

Last night our kitten fell about 20 feet from an upsairs landing. He
limped a bit, seemed to register pain when I touched his side, but
after a nap of 2 hours, seemed to be fine..He chased a laser dot for
about 10 minutes, ate and walked with no limp.

I picked him up and he didn't register the pain as he did earlier
(hissing, growling and wincing.

Could he have rebounded competely just with a nap? any other
expereriences like this?

Ken

Old January 8th 05, 05:30 PM
Doug Kanter

"ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
ken Jan 8, 8:24 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
From: "ken" - Find messages by this author
Date: 8 Jan 2005 08:24:03 -0800
original | Remove | Report Abuse

Last night our kitten fell about 20 feet from an upsairs landing. He
limped a bit, seemed to register pain when I touched his side, but
after a nap of 2 hours, seemed to be fine..He chased a laser dot for
about 10 minutes, ate and walked with no limp.

I picked him up and he didn't register the pain as he did earlier
(hissing, growling and wincing.

Could he have rebounded competely just with a nap? any other
expereriences like this?

Ken

You didn't mention whether he fell on his feet, or in some other position.
If "other", and you're wondering about bone damage, get him content on your
lap and gently feel his ribs, shoulders, hips, etc, and wait for any sort of
reaction from him. If he fell on his feet, he's probably OK. They're
amazingly resilient. The initial growling was probably the equivalent of how
people usually need a little time to evaluate how badly they're hurt if they
slip on ice or get hit in the arm with a baseball.

Old January 8th 05, 06:21 PM

I think he will be fine

Old January 8th 05, 10:42 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

ken wrote:

Last night our kitten fell about 20 feet from an upsairs landing. He
limped a bit, seemed to register pain when I touched his side, but
after a nap of 2 hours, seemed to be fine..He chased a laser dot for
about 10 minutes, ate and walked with no limp.

I picked him up and he didn't register the pain as he did earlier
(hissing, growling and wincing.

Could he have rebounded competely just with a nap? any other
expereriences like this?

Kittens are rather fragile creatures, and even cats that
young cats can be expert at concealing injuries and
ailments. I'd have him seen by a vet, just to be sure!

Old January 9th 05, 02:15 AM
Bill Stock

ken wrote:

Last night our kitten fell about 20 feet from an upsairs landing. He
limped a bit, seemed to register pain when I touched his side, but
after a nap of 2 hours, seemed to be fine..He chased a laser dot for
about 10 minutes, ate and walked with no limp.

I picked him up and he didn't register the pain as he did earlier
(hissing, growling and wincing.

Could he have rebounded competely just with a nap? any other
expereriences like this?

Kittens are rather fragile creatures, and even cats that young cats can be
expert at concealing injuries and ailments. I'd have him seen by a vet,
just to be sure!

Smokey used to jump from the upstairs to the hard marble floor downstairs,
about 8+ feet. The first time was a few days after her spay operation. The
last time (big girl now) she did it she limped for a couple of hours and was
fine after that.

But 20' is quite a distance. If the tenderness does not subside within a
day, you may want to see a vet. You should also keep an eye on her litterbox
offerings for a few days to make sure she is relieving herself OK.