Help!! Bad, BAD Tommy!!

Old April 25th 04, 02:48 AM
Pat

Default Help!! Bad, BAD Tommy!!

He found a nest of baby rabbits in the yard and brought one in to show me.
Dropped it under my desk, still alive. I of course took it away from him and
put it in a soft bed and started warming some KMR.

Meanwhile, Tommy went back out and got baby #2 and brought it in. I knew
because he made it squeal. Took it away and put it with #1. Then I followed
Tommy because I knew he would go back to the nest.

Sure enough, he led me straight to the last remaining baby, which I picked
up gently and carried in to be with #1 & #2.

Now all 3 babies were eating a bit every couple hours but #1 was unable to
use one hind leg and #2 was very frightened - no doubt from the trauma of
being caught by Tommy. Baby #1 kept losing ground, body temp seemed too low,
but still eating heartily.

Well to make a long story short, #1 & #2 were dead when I went to feed at 6
p.m. and #3 had jumped out of the box and was hiding under a cabinet. #1 was
already becoming stiff while #2 was still warm when found. #3 seemed
traumatized and did not want the 6 p.m. meal but ate the 8 p.m. meal. He is
in my breast pocket now.

I watched for a long time both last night and this morning for mother rabbit
but she never showed. Possibly a stray cat, dog or coyote snatched her.

I need advice for keeping the last baby alive. He is probably about a month
old, I can't be sure because I just haven't had any wild rabbit experience
before. He is getting warmed evaporated goat's milk fortified with a bit of
cold-pressed rice bran oil, rice honey, maca powder and strained rice
porridge, as much as he will take, every 2-3 hours.

Assuming he lives, how long should I keep this up before turning him loose
(far from the house - and cats - of course)? Also, is there a better formula
for rabbit babies?

Old April 25th 04, 03:50 AM
JP Hobbs

Here in Australia we have vets who are connected
to *Wires* I dont know what the letters stand for
but its an organisation that takes care of wild animals
Injured or such. I rescued a big bird once that
had obviously been hit by one car but was still on
its feet and trying to dodge a stream of other cars
it was funny in a way, a few of us were watching in horror
and I had a baby I asked a young girl to hold the pram
while I advanced into the middle of the road holding
my hand up in the stop position like a flipping policeman
but it worked and they stopped to let me pick the bird up
I think it was a crow of all things a shop keeper gave me a
piece of cloth to wrap around its talons and the girl pushed the pram and we
took it to the vet who I knew was in wires
they care for them and then set them free. This turned out to be longer than
I meant it to be. Have you got such an
organisation you could take the little bunny to,I hope it
survives poor baby, no mama no siblings it needed our
dog to find it, and maybe your puppy was trying to save
these poor little creatures,after all a lot of dogs would
have finished them off out there, but he brought them
to you cause he knew you would care, so it could be he was a good dog not a
bad dog. Cheers Jean.

Old April 25th 04, 03:58 AM
Pat

Jean,

We have wildlife rescue groups with vets, but I haven't a clue where or even
if there's one around me.

Baby is wriggling around in my pocket as I type. He is eating well. I will
make him a nest in a small cat carrier and buy some rabbit pellets when I
get to town, serve them soaked in milk initially.

BTW Tommy is a *cat* and was just being a cat. Catch and kill anything that
moves, but first bring it in the house to show meowmie.

Pat

P.S. I always stop traffic for snakes and turtles. Once I found a wild
turkey hen in the road, just sitting there, completely uninjured. I parked
the car and carried her into the woods.

Old April 25th 04, 07:10 AM
Yoj

You might call your local humane society or rescue organization. Maybe
they can refer you to help. Or you could do a search on line.

Joy

Old April 25th 04, 07:42 AM
Mary

I need advice for keeping the last baby alive. He is probably about a month
old, I can't be sure because I just haven't had any wild rabbit experience
before. He is getting warmed evaporated goat's milk fortified with a bit of
cold-pressed rice bran oil, rice honey, maca powder and strained rice
porridge, as much as he will take, every 2-3 hours.

Assuming he lives, how long should I keep this up before turning him loose
(far from the house - and cats - of course)? Also, is there a better formula
for rabbit babies?

Baby rabbits are tough to keep alive. Generally mom puts her babies in a
shallow nest lined with dry grass. She leaves all day long to feed them comes
back at dusk to feed the babies. If the baby is injured, mom won't take them
back. If you were to have put the baby back in the nest, locked the cat up, and
mom didnt' get the baby and move it by nightfall, mom is dead. Contact a
rehabilitator to take care of the baby for you. They have all medications,
special feeding supplies and special formula besides years of experience.
Here's a list, find one in your area
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm Sooo much easier and the babies
have a better chance of survival.

Old April 25th 04, 08:20 AM
LOL

"Pat" wrote in message ...
He found a nest of baby rabbits in the yard and brought one in to show me.
Dropped it under my desk, still alive. I of course took it away from him and
put it in a soft bed and started warming some KMR.

Meanwhile, Tommy went back out and got baby #2 and brought it in. I knew
because he made it squeal. Took it away and put it with #1. Then I followed
Tommy because I knew he would go back to the nest.

Sure enough, he led me straight to the last remaining baby, which I picked
up gently and carried in to be with #1 & #2.

(snipped)

Oh my. Short of getting advice from your vet, I don't have any idea
what to do for baby rabbits, but I wanted to post to send our purrs
for you and the little guy, if the baby bunny isn't too traumatised by
anything cat-related for purrs to help.

------
Krista