How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

Old May 25th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

On 25 May, 02:42, James wrote:
On May 24, 6:41 am, sheelagh wrote:

We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
again..
I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
summer........

(we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
too.

How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...

This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about £100, so might
well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*

I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
and heat?
TIA
S;o)

Are you for real? Paul has heart problems but you worry more about
your cats than about Paul?

Getting an A/C unit might be cheap but the cost of electricity to run
it might kill you. UK might be a bit backwards but I can't believe
you guys don't know how to use electric fans.

I'm anti caging but in your case I would suggest you cage your cats at
night and open all the windows to let in the cool night air. Use a
large box fan at an upstair window as an exhaust fan to blow out the
hot air. It also draws in cool air from other open windows and patio
door. When outdoor temperature in late morning gets warmer than
indoor, close all windows and let the cats out..- Hide quoted text -

Are you for real? Paul has heart problems but you worry more about
your cats than about Paul?

Of course not,Lol...

By the way, Paul thoroughly agree's with you though!

Getting an A/C unit might be cheap but the cost of electricity to run
it might kill you. UK might be a bit backwards but I can't believe
you guys don't know how to use electric fans.

I have a feeling that you could be right about this. We do have
oscillating fans over here, & also overhead fans that you fit into the
light fittings should you prefer that option, but to be perfectly
honest, after going into other people's homes who do have them,
crossed with the memory of air conditioning, I would rather stick to
the air conditioning for "Everyone's sake".

I also think that you are right about having fans upstairs to shift
the stale air out, & putting the cats out @ night so that we can keep
the windows and doors open. They won't like it, but they will get used
to it...
(some of us like to sleep on the bed you see!!;o)
S;o)
Thanks for that

Old May 25th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 24 May, 19:56, "Annie Wxill" wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

ups.com...
We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. ...How does
everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
all? ...
TIA
S;o)

Hi Sheelagh,

You can make a breeze by putting a fan in front of the patio door. It will
draw the air in and blow it into the room. You can put additional fans in
other places. Just be sure that the fan has a screen in front of the blades
and the cats should be fine with them.

When it is hot, we see the "flat cat syndrome" where the cats seem to hug
the ground and spread themselves out.

We have air conditioning now. It's expensive, but infinitely more pleasant.

Annie

Same here. Ours simply wilt & flop where they can.

I have been looking @ the cost of air conditioning & the argument of
buy portable, or buy fixed unit, that you either put into the wall, or
fit onto the wall if you wish to.
I was worride that the running was going to be our major problem,
however, having looked @ the prices, I now understand why people seem
to opt for the portable option!!!
An indoor one to fit onto the wall with no need to bash your wall out
costs around £1300 ($2600)!!! A portable one is more in the region of
£250-£800($500-1600)..
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that is rather a lot
of money..?!!
It seems that the best ones are the fitted ones, but you can get away
with using a portable one, which we could alternate between the living
room & the bedroom that we have just built for Paul downstairs ( the
extension)...
I know that it is going to cost money to run it, & I sympathise with
Cheryl & her fuel bill hyke too. We have been through the same thing
in the last 12 months too. We are used to paying heavily in the winter
for heat, so I suppose we are going to have to get used to the same
cost in the summer months as well.

Years ago, most people in the UK used to have coal fires, & in the
summer months, you would start a stock pile of coal in for the winter
months in case you had a short week for instance, so I see this as
fairly the same. just another bill that we will get used to in time..
Think how much Paul will love me, & also the pussy cats too...?
It has to be worth it ,LOL!!
S;o)

Old May 25th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl wrote:
On Thu 24 May 2007 10:14:57p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

Here too. Last year, at this same time, our A/C went out, and
the outside temp was around 97 F.
We *had* to get a window unit, just to survive until a new heat
pump unit could be installed.
The cats were very lethargic, and stayed on the tile floor most
of the time...stretched out
very l-o-o-o-o-ng. I think that's a good indicator whether a cat
is uncomfortabley hot. They seem to stretch
out as long as they can. And yes, the cats do take advantage of
fans. I can't imagine not having A/C.

Mine don't like the heat either but they might have to get used to
it, just like me. Next month our energy company is raising the rate
by 50%. The summer is where my heat pump uses the most electricity
so it might end up being set up much higher than what we're used
to.

--
Cheryl

This is a quote from the UK to have air conditioning fitted. I think
you would be horrified if you saw it, so I thought I would let you see
the price that we have to pay if you wish to have it over here. The
first quote is for a portable...

http://www.allergymatters.com/acatal...ondtioner.html
The portable option is £250 ($500)

And this one is for a fitted unit

http://www.rapidheatbusters.co.uk/pr...s&pageData=106

£1300($2600)
A considerable amount of money really, but I guess that you only have
to pay that once?

I have a feeling that we are going to have to start off on the
portable one first, then start saving towards a better one, & keep the
portable in reserve , or use it in other parts of the house.

The fuel debate is an interesting one though, because I think that we
pay a LOT more for fuel bills over here, than you do in the States. A
regular quarterly electric bill for us would be around £300. How does
that compare with all of you? All of our fuel reserves in the North
Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
but mostly Russia I think.

A litre of petrol is about £1 or so now, making it around £5 ($10) per
gallon.
It is a hell of a lot of money really

Old May 25th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 May, 18:11, Cheryl wrote:
On Fri 25 May 2007 08:09:24a, barb wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

Wow, Cheryl, Electric is going up 50%? Where do you live?

Maryland.

This is why:

"Maryland State legislators originally froze utility rates in 1994
in hopes of creating a deregulated and competitive energy market
for customers. However, few competitors ever came even as the
costs for electricity rose dramatically, and now the freezes have
ended."

http://www.gazette.net/stories/05240...49_32349.shtml

--
Cheryl

Can I smell an election due anytime now?

More or less the same thing happened in the UK too, but the difference
was that there were plenty of takers, but it was like a Price Fixing
war, but to the benefit of the suppliers not the consumers....

We have also recently had petrol scares (fear of running out), which
prompted every single car user to go out & try & fill thier cars up,
just in case of an emergency..

So, of course, every single garage ran out of petrol on a daily
basis;that & one of the petroleum stores going up in flames too! It
was a Huge explosion & there wasn't even enough crude oil to make
aviation fuel, so even planes were grounded & there was no petrol to
travel..all utility bills have doubled (excluding phone lines) which
have huge competition & are offering free phone calls with Internet
packages..
What a mad world we live in...

It is just as well that we all have cats to keep us sane;o)
S;o)

Old May 26th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

http://www.allergymatters.com/acatal...air_condtioner....

http://www.rapidheatbusters.co.uk/pr...=3&pageNum=1&n....

£1300($2600)
A considerable amount of money really, but I guess that you only have
to pay that once?

I have a feeling that we are going to have to start off on the
portable one first, then start saving towards a better one, & keep the
portable in reserve , or use it in other parts of the house.

The fuel debate is an interesting one though, because I think that we
pay a LOT more for fuel bills over here, than you do in the States. A
regular quarterly electric bill for us would be around £300. How does
that compare with all of you? All of our fuel reserves in the North
Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
but mostly Russia I think.

A litre of petrol is about £1 or so now, making it around £5 ($10) per
gallon.
It is a hell of a lot of money really- Hide quoted text -

Oh my. That is outrageous for gasoline. We're having fits over $3.35 a
gallon
right now. What really makes me angry is that as a mineral rights
owner I'm not getting
any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
ago.
Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
72 degrees.
It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
of the well,
is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
sorry, I don't
know how to convert that)

Sherry

Old May 26th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

oups.com...
On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Makes me glad I installed solar power panels and take advantage of the hot
Florida sun. I t ends up the electric company pays us back it is only a
couple dollars a month but after the hurricanes it was worth it. I should
have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself

Old May 26th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

oups.com...

On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself- Hide quoted text -

There's a similar program here, only it uses wind power. That's one
thing Oklahoma
has plenty of. There's hardly a day when the wind isn't blowing at
least 20 mph.

Sherry

Old May 26th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
oups.com...

[...]

Not to worry, you jinxed yourself long ago. :-D

Old May 26th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

OMG!
I go on around $2 to the £1, which makes your petroleum(gasoline)
around £1.70 compared to our £5 per gallon

The electricity converts to around £210 per quarter compared to our
£350ish per quarter. Believe me, you are far better off regarding fuel
& utilitie bills, but then again, you produce it, so I suppose it
makes a difference. All of ours is imported from other countries..
There are most definately some downsides living on an island. Anything
that we don't extract or grow has to be imported....

The upside to living on an island with regard to pets, is that we dont
have Rabies (touch wood, Yet!!) I have seen rabies abroad, & it looks
like a terrible disease. I would like to think that we would never get
it, but that would be a naive thing to think. With the new channel
tunnel to France, & people breaking the the law regarding bringing
pets in to the UK, It is more a question of time than hope, sadly.

I think that the reason people break the law is because of our
quarantine laws. If you bring an animal in to the UK from a country
that has Rabies, you are required by law to have your pet quarantined
for 6 months. I imagine that some people simply can't afford the
expense of doing this. It does cost a fortune, & if they can't really
afford to do that, or be parted from their beloved pet, they find ways
to get them into the UK. In the end, someone will import rabies, all
be it inadvertently.

We have Pet passports now over here. With a pet passport, you can take
your pet where you want to really, and as long as you keep all of
thier shots up to date, then you may take your pet where you wish to.
Do you have any similar schemes in the USA?

S;o)

Old May 26th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

oups.com...

On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

What as brilliant Idea! I haven't got a a clue how you would go about
finding them or installing them, but I am sure if I did a google, it
wouldn't take too long to find out. again, I wonder what the initial
expense would be to install them, & also of how much benefit they
would be to us?

with every summer getting hotter and hotter, I think it might be the
way to go over here. I was watching a nature program last night which
is also a interactive program, as well as a documentary too. It stated
that the last year has been the hottest ever recorded since records
began several hundreds of years ago, & the experts predict that it
will only become hotter still. This year our spring started 2weeks
earlier than last year, & 3weeks earlier than the year before. they
took this guide by measuring when the &spotted ladybird was fist seen,
the hawthorn started flowering, butterflies appeared & some birds were
seen nesting too...
Given that, I think solar power has to be the way to go. I am
certainly going to look into it....

S;o)