Cat baths

Old April 9th 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default Cat baths

This is my first feline animal in a long time, and I feel I need to give
the animal a bath, because of an irritation from anti flea ointment.

How is it done?

I heard long ago that cats do not like baths, and yet the instructions on
cat products seem to say to do it anyway.

Anyone know precisely how?

Old April 9th 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 7:56*pm, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
This is my first feline animal in a long time, and I feel I need to give
the animal a bath, because of an irritation from anti flea ointment.

How is it done?

I heard long ago that cats do not like baths, and yet the instructions on
cat products seem to say to do it anyway.

Anyone know precisely how?

Most cats hate baths, but you can get them done. The main thing is to
be fully prepared.

Trim your cat's nails ahead of time.

Prepare the sink area. Have your shampoo, rinse cup or sprayer handy.
Towels ready. Get the water temperature ready. Have everything in
reach before you get the cat. If you can, have a helper to assist.

I bathe my cat for cat shows, so she gets a bath every few weeks, and
she gets a degreaser, a shampoo, and a condition, plus vinegar rinse.
Then a full hair dryer comb-out, something you don't need to worry
about. She doesn't like it, but with practice, she gets betetr and
better. And I get faster at it too.
Old April 9th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:56:03 -0500, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

This is my first feline animal in a long time, and I feel I need to give
the animal a bath, because of an irritation from anti flea ointment.

How is it done?

I heard long ago that cats do not like baths, and yet the instructions on
cat products seem to say to do it anyway.

Anyone know precisely how?

The cats going to hate
Been through this my self and found the only Flea product that works
(in Australia anyhow)
http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/defaul...e=50&ItemId=39
It not only kills fleas on cat it kills them wherever cat goes
With my outside cat one dose lasts around 12 months
I've been told inside cat still no fleas after five years
You weigh cat and buy product according to cat weight
You must find place illustrated in instructions on back of cats neck
This stuff is poisonous so care is required
Heat dose up by putting under arm then unscrew and apply
Pet shops have it or you can buy it on Ebay
It's sold in 4 dose/tube packets, it's not cheap
There are cheaper or other "types" but I found them useless
Petzl
--
"Dieu et mon droit" God is my legal right
http://preview.tinyurl.com/Christian-Court
Old April 9th 10, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Cat baths / Frontline/Advantage

wrote:

[...]

Advantage and Frontline are the two that come to mind, but the
instructions say to use it every month, not every year or 5 years.

I generally give my cats one dose in the spring (like now), and one
during July. It is expensive. Does anyone know how long it really
lasts? I mean, when did a cat get fleas after having one of these
things squirted between their shoulder blades?
Old April 10th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

wrote in message
[...]

**You make it sound easy. I guess a lot of it depends on how commandingly
you hold onto the feline.

Old April 10th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

wrote:

[...]

I tried over the counter oinment for the back of the cat's neck.
It just made a big red spot, but after rinsing with a fully wet washcloth,
it seems to have dimished a little today.

I certainly hope the vet's anti flea ointment is safer.

Old April 10th 10, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (4/9/2010
1:14 AM):
[...]

One hint I read once, but have never tried (Meep has never needed a
bath), is to put a milk crate or similar in the tub, and set the cat on
that. It'll give it something to grab, rather than scrabbling in the
tub or grabbing you with all their pointy bits instead.

As far as flea stuff, Meep has a horrible reaction to Frontline and FL
Plus; we use Revolution instead. A bit more expensive but works great.
Still bothers her a bit but she recovers quickly.

jmc
Old April 10th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 19:01:28 -0500, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:
[...]

The vet should be selling "Advatage" also (the only one I found to
work) It's not an ointment, it's liquid and evaporates quickly

For bath's, if you must I used a telephone Shower.
You must rinse cat completly, using flea chemicals in bath
A cat then licks itself and will ingest chemicals left on fur
That's why Advatage is applied to back of neck, it's a spot where
cat's can't lick (see diagram before applying)
http://tinyurl.com/68m7fk
I also reckon the use of this product has given my cat a long life
(well over 20 years and still active) Flea's are a bad problem in
Sydney
Some time ago I said similar and here's the reply
http://tinyurl.com/y6fqs56
--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Old April 10th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:08:56 -0400, dgk wrote:

Advantage and Frontline are the two that come to mind, but the
instructions say to use it every month, not every year or 5 years.

I just reapply Advantage when I see a flea in my case about every year
now, when first started using it was more often but much more than a
month

I generally give my cats one dose in the spring (like now), and one
during July. It is expensive. Does anyone know how long it really
lasts? I mean, when did a cat get fleas after having one of these
things squirted between their shoulder blades?

I think it depends on if your cat is inside, outside or both
inside/outside and the time your cat stays inside or outside
Some years ago a reply to my "advice"
http://tinyurl.com/y6fqs56
the link to "how to apply" is important for cat's safety
http://advantage.petparents.com/howToApplyCats.cfm
Advantage ONLY targets fleas though (maybe why so effective?)