my kitten is bored

Old May 19th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
trobinson

Default my kitten is bored

i have a kitten who is about 4 months old but he is getting bored with
all his toys and is starting to attack me! i buy him new toys
contsantly but they never last long and it hurts when he scratches me,
my friend told me that i should cut his nails but am not sure. i dont
know what to do...

Old May 19th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

His nails should be trimmed on a regular basis. The time to start doing it
is when they are young to get them used to it. Kittens are VERY playful and
this is the way he will be until over one year old. Have you thought of
getting him another kitten? This would, though, be more expense for you in
terms of the vet bill, another litter box, and food bills. You must consider
that if you do get another cat or kitten.
Gail
ups.com...

Old May 19th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

trobinson wrote:

i have a kitten who is about 4 months old but he is getting bored with
all his toys and is starting to attack me! i buy him new toys
contsantly but they never last long and it hurts when he scratches me,
my friend told me that i should cut his nails but am not sure. i dont
know what to do...

Rotate his toys. Separate them into three groups. Put one group out and
let him go at them for a few days. Once he gets weary of them, put them
away and bring the second group out. When he tires of them, scoop them
up and put the third set out. After he's had his fun with them, clear
them out and put the first group back in. Repeat.

Another possibility would be to adopt a second kitten and let them
scratch and bite each other.
Old May 19th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry[_4_]

Noon Cat Nick wrote:

Another possibility would be to adopt a second kitten and let them
scratch and bite each other.

your toy ploy is a mess NCN

I have also been thinking about getting a kitten.
Old May 19th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Barry wrote:

Noon Cat Nick wrote:

Another possibility would be to adopt a second kitten and let them
scratch and bite each other.

your toy ploy is a mess NCN

Hey, it worked for me. That's all I know on the subject.

I have also been thinking about getting a kitten.

Old May 19th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

trobinson wrote:
i have a kitten who is about 4 months old but he is getting bored with
all his toys and is starting to attack me! i buy him new toys
contsantly but they never last long and it hurts when he scratches me,
my friend told me that i should cut his nails but am not sure. i dont
know what to do...

When your kitten hurts you... shout in pain and immediately stop what
you were engaged in with the kitten.

Never encourage kittens to use your hands as playthings... instead
always have a toy, straw or something else in your hand.

Clipping the nails will make them less sharp... take your cat to the vet
and have them demonstrate how it is done, after that you can do it
yourself quite easily.
Old May 19th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry[_4_]

Joe Canuck wrote:
trobinson wrote:
i have a kitten who is about 4 months old but he is getting bored with
all his toys and is starting to attack me! i buy him new toys
contsantly but they never last long and it hurts when he scratches me,
my friend told me that i should cut his nails but am not sure. i dont
know what to do...

When your kitten hurts you... shout in pain and immediately stop what
you were engaged in with the kitten.

should we take that at face value?

put your head down there and bite it back
it's just cat

Never encourage kittens to use your hands as playthings... instead
always have a toy, straw or something else in your hand.

enough Joe

Clipping the nails will make them less sharp... take your cat to the vet
and have them demonstrate how it is done, after that you can do it
yourself quite easily.

poor old Lucy, everything she touches sticks to her feet
Old May 19th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

My pussy had her nails clipped only one time that was when she was
spayed. She an outdoor mostly cat and loves climbing trees. Often
she's on my roof. She's only scratched me a couple times in her
life. When she was young and hurted me when she bit, I forced her
paws in her mouth and forced her teeth on the paws till it hurt. She
learned that it was painful. After that I could let her play with my
hand and she would only bite lightly. She's now one year old and
still bites without hurting. She also still only scratch trees and
not me.

I never bought her a toy. Being outside she is entertained by flying
moths, crickets, birds. She also loves to chase after the end of a
long bamboo stick. I can use it to tap a tree trunk and she would
climb up the tree after the stick. She would chase the end of the
stick when I sweep it along the grass in a circle.

She would also play with a paper lawn trash bag crawling in it. Maybe
store bought toys are boring because they don't do anything.
Obviously you won't want insects in you house but something that moves
would probably keep a cat's attention. Then there are those cats who
just lie there even when another kitten tries to get it to play.

Perhaps you cat scratches you because it wants to play with you but
haven't learned how to do it without hurting you.

Old May 19th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On 18 May 2007 18:20:10 -0700, trobinson wrote:

i have a kitten who is about 4 months old but he is getting bored with
all his toys and is starting to attack me! i buy him new toys
contsantly but they never last long and it hurts when he scratches me,
my friend told me that i should cut his nails but am not sure. i dont
know what to do...

Just like with toddlers, if you put a toy away for a few weeks, and then
get it out, it's like it's 'new' again.

If all your kitten's toys are out all of the time he will get bored with
them. Leave a few out at a time, and rotate them. Be sure to have some
interactive toys, like a feather on a stick with string. Speaking of
string NEVER leave string out where a cat or kitten can get to it
unsupervised. They can ingest it and get an intestinal blockage. Death
can occur in 24 to 48 hrs. after noticing symptoms. The surgery is
expensive to save them.

Also, common household items make great toys: the rings from around
gallon milk jugs, orphaned pieces from board games (not small enough to
swallow). Almost anything he can bat around. Cheap stuffed toys (like
beanie baby knock-offs are often good toys; many kittens will have a
'favorite' that they will carry around with them.

I agree on the nail clipping: if you keep him indoors, (and you SHOULD;
at that age he can easily get lost. Also, indoor only cats live MUCH
longer than indor/outdoor cats) you should start clipping his claws, so
he gets used to it. Look at the nail from the side, with some light
behind it if possible. Near the base, you can see a curved pinkish area.
This contains nerves and blood vessels, so don't clip down that far.
Taking off just the tip once a week works just fine. I've used regular
nail clippers for decades.

Good luck. Kittens are curious and active. Keep him busy to keep him out
of trouble!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein
Old May 19th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Running Scissors

trobinson wrote:

i have a kitten who is about 4 months old but he is getting bored with
all his toys and is starting to attack me! i buy him new toys
contsantly but they never last long and it hurts when he scratches me,
my friend told me that i should cut his nails but am not sure. i dont
know what to do...

Get another kitten. Seriously. Two are much easier than one!

Fat Bored Cat catwriter Cat health & behaviour 3 June 16th 06 07:04 PM
bored cats trier Cat health & behaviour 2 March 30th 06 09:41 AM
Bored kitten Harri Cat community 8 January 21st 05 04:15 AM
IS MY CAT BORED Toni&Nate Cat health & behaviour 6 January 13th 05 05:53 PM