Bonfire Night

Old November 5th 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Bonfire Night

Boyfie is afraid of fireworks. It's been raining nearly all day so I
thought most people would hold off until the weekend, and it's not been too
bad. I went out (deliberately) at 6.30pm when there were more bangs and
hisses than he liked, simply because when I am out of the house he goes up
to his bedroom and tucks himself up in his pyramid bed which is nice safe
place for him to be if he is scared.
I stayed out for an hour just wandering around the local supermarket. I
didn't need to buy anything, I just did it for his benefit; I hope he
appreciates me going out in the rain..anyway it worked. He's only just got
up (9.30) and by now most of the fireworks are over.
The things I do for that cat!

I expect I'll be doing it again Friday and Saturday - and then it's Diwali,
and those fireworks are like WWIII.
I'm not a killjoy, I am in favour of organised displays for big fireworks,
not everyone setting them off in their back gardens willy-nilly. A few
small fireworks in the garden for the children is fine, catherine wheels,
roman fountains, Sparklers etc but other than that I'd really like big
fireworks to be regulated.
The sticks from rockets fall, still burning. Every year I have to stay up
until silly o'clock to make sure one does not fall on my chicken huts which
have bitumous felt on the roofs that will burn like crazy and I do this
because it happened to a friend of mine. Like me, he has a very long garden
and he didn't notice that a rocket stick had fallen from the sky and set
fire to his chicken huts during the night. His chickens all burned to
death.
I dread the whole firework thing. So does Boyfie and some of my dogs did
too.
Daisy whippet got so scared by huge fireworks when I left her to milk my
goats on Diwali once, that I still have have her claw marks on my kitchen
door today where she tried to escape. Deep grooves.

Tweed

Old November 6th 15, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Been lucky here so far. There were a few fireworks last night but nothing like it used to be. I think most people around here go to the organised displays. However we get fireworks by the ton around Diwali and Eid.

The cats don't seem too bothered by fireworks. Sarsi used to like watching them!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 8th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
[...]

I totally agree with you. I didn't like fireworks when I was little and I
still don't. Why people are allowed to buy explosives of any kind to let
off anywhere they like I cannot imagine. The fireworks are usually going
off from mid October to mid January and any other time anyone feels like
it. Crazy.

Judith

Last night was pretty bad when a neighbour started letting off those
bomb-type fireworks at 9.45pm. Sounded like they were just outside my
house, Boyfie was really scared. Fortunately, these sort of fireworks cost
up to 20 pounds each so we only got an hour of it phew Why not just set
fire to a twenty pound note and not upset your neighbours? grump mode
Every local dog owner I know tells me they have to stay up past midnight or
longer because they won't go outside for their last wee if there are
fireworks.
Poor Lennie, (who is a bit afraid of his own garden to use as a toilet, it
looks fine to me) is having a dreadful time daring to do the last wee. He
starts to go out into the garden "BOOM" so he runs back in. He tries
again in half an hour. "BOOM"

It's not so bad for Boyfie as we've agreed that the bath is going to be his
litter box as it's pointless to try to get him to use a real one, but there
are going to be lot of puddles on carpets by dogs who are normally clean in
the house and are just too scared to go out. Nelly the
cockapoo-over-the-road will be one. Just a few days ago, she heard a
firework when she was going past my house on a walk with her mummie. She
froze on the spot and her mum had to pick her up to get her go any further.
Nelly is a very nervous dog and despite my attempts to say "hello" when she
is going past and her owner says to her "say hello nicely" she will not.
No way. She ducks her head and wuffs at me. She thinks I'm a bit dangerous
;-)

Tweed

Old November 8th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
Been lucky here so far. There were a few fireworks last night but nothing
like it used to be. I think most people around here go to the organised
displays. However we get fireworks by the ton around Diwali and Eid.

The cats don't seem too bothered by fireworks. Sarsi used to like watching
them!

Lesley

Through the window.

Tweed

Old November 11th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Tonight is worse- whereas Saturday the display was a mile or so away for some reason tonight there seems to be a load of fireworks going off locally- it's like living in a war zone tonight

Bonnie is fine but Spirit is hiding under the duvet although she seems fine as long as we don't move her from the bed (Well apart from when a "Sheba" chicken terrine was offered)

Old November 13th 15, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
Tonight is worse- whereas Saturday the display was a mile or so away for
some reason tonight there seems to be a load of fireworks going off
locally- it's like living in a war zone tonight

Bonnie is fine but Spirit is hiding under the duvet although she seems
fine as long as we don't move her from the bed (Well apart from when a
"Sheba" chicken terrine was offered)

Lesley

well, it's Diwali, that's why. I was kept awake until nearly 2.30 a.m. by
fireworks last night. I think it's illegal to let off fireworks after
midnight, but I have no idea how the police can get a hold on it.
Still some late fireworks tonight. Lets hope its all over by tomorrow.
Tweed

Old November 13th 15, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 01:31:47 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
Tonight is worse- whereas Saturday the display was a mile or so away for
some reason tonight there seems to be a load of fireworks going off
locally- it's like living in a war zone tonight

Bonnie is fine but Spirit is hiding under the duvet although she seems
fine as long as we don't move her from the bed (Well apart from when a
"Sheba" chicken terrine was offered)

Lesley

well, it's Diwali, that's why. I was kept awake until nearly 2.30 a.m. by
fireworks last night. I think it's illegal to let off fireworks after
midnight, but I have no idea how the police can get a hold on it.
Still some late fireworks tonight. Lets hope its all over by tomorrow.

Fortunately, we only have serious fireworks here on New Years Eve,
and the 4th of July.

There ARE fireworks nightly during the summer at Sea World,
but that's far enough away that they can be heard, but aren't
scary for the animals. GLyN couldn't be bothered in any case.
but the landlord's dog isn't a fan of loud noises, but a
previous one was FAR worse, she'd come upstairs and climb into
the bathtub if the dog was open.

Only other fireworks I can hear here (slightly) are from the
local sports stadium, and it's farther than Sea World, and barely
audible. Fireworks are only after a score by the local team.
And usually in the daytime.

Old November 14th 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
Tonight is worse- whereas Saturday the display was a mile or so away
for some reason tonight there seems to be a load of fireworks going
off locally- it's like living in a war zone tonight

Bonnie is fine but Spirit is hiding under the duvet although she seems
fine as long as we don't move her from the bed (Well apart from when
a "Sheba" chicken terrine was offered)

Lesley

well, it's Diwali, that's why. I was kept awake until nearly 2.30 a.m.
by fireworks last night. I think it's illegal to let off fireworks
after midnight, but I have no idea how the police can get a hold on it.
Still some late fireworks tonight. Lets hope its all over by tomorrow.
Tweed

I agree with you, I'll be very glad when they stop or at least reduce.

Judith

Still some big bangs as we speak but not much excuse after tonight. Boyfie
does not like fireworks, but poor Lennie is absolutely terrified. Rita says
he cannot stop shaking and when she holds him against her chair, even his
"insides" are trembling. Hes frightened to go out for a wee.

It's time to do only displays IMO.

Old November 16th 15, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Boyfie is afraid of fireworks. It's been raining nearly all day so I
thought most people would hold off until the weekend, and it's not been too
bad. I went out (deliberately) at 6.30pm when there were more bangs and
hisses than he liked, simply because when I am out of the house he goes up
to his bedroom and tucks himself up in his pyramid bed which is nice safe
place for him to be if he is scared.

(snippage)

The things I do for that cat!

The things we all do for our cats!

I expect I'll be doing it again Friday and Saturday - and then it's Diwali,
and those fireworks are like WWIII.

I've never heard of Bonfire Night in the US. I can't think of anywhere
in the US where that might take place.

I'm not a killjoy, I am in favour of organised displays for big fireworks,
not everyone setting them off in their back gardens willy-nilly.

Fireworks happen generally in the US on July 4th and New Year's Eve.

A few
small fireworks in the garden for the children is fine, catherine wheels,
roman fountains, Sparklers etc but other than that I'd really like big
fireworks to be regulated.

Oh, absolutely. Anything that can catch someone's house on fire needs
to be regulated. In the US some states don't sell even hand-held
sparklers, which I consider pretty benign. Problem is, people just
drive to another across a state line and buy them. There's no law
against doing that.

I've got no problem with professional displays done by people who know
what they're doing. I do have a problem with neighbors using the things
that could possibly set something on fire. BTDT about 30 years ago.

I'm glad we don't have Bonfire Night in the US. I had to look up
Diwali. I've never lived anywhere there was a significant Hindu population.

Jill
Old November 16th 15, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/15/2015 11:30 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 22:49:57 -0500, jmcquown

[...]

Jill,

New Orleans (well, Louisiana in general) has bonfires - huge ones -
along the Mississippi river on Christmas eve to help guide Santa.

I did not know that. I suspect it's not the same thing Tweed is
talking about, though. It's a tad early for Santa.

Jill

Until last night Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 2 April 30th 15 08:06 PM
Last night Joy Cat anecdotes 19 September 7th 14 05:23 PM
TV Last Night (UK) MatSav[_3_] Cat anecdotes 5 July 24th 10 12:58 PM
The night before night before Christmas fun GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 08 12:00 AM
Sunday night was biff night Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 8 July 8th 05 04:37 AM