It;s cold

Old December 5th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default It;s cold

"dgk" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:56:14 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 1:00:33 AM UTC, Christina Websell
wrote:

.
I 've never lived in a house with central heating until I had to live
with
my aunt for a while.

I find running it half way up the thermostat knob makes the place warm
without it being too hot- I can't stand too hot- We have a little fan
heater
in the living room for Dave (apart from anything else at the moment
applying
heat to his feet relieves the pain when he has his dressings changed) but
my
PC is in the bedroom so if he wants things hotter in the living room then
can sit in the bedroom

_______

I'd kind of like to have central heating as a back up. The problem with
having a woodburner that runs three radiators upstairs as the only source
of
heat is that it goes out overnight for one thing. When it got down to -6c
the other night, my bathroom was down to 2C when I got up.. another thing
is
that if I go out for more than a couple of hours, so does the woodburner
so
it's pointless to light it.
To have gas central heating put in would mean the upstairs radiators would
have be removed and they are connected to the woodburner that somehow
feeds
hot water to them without a pump. I have no idea how it works as it was
the
previous owner of the house that installed it.
It's nice to be green ;-) but he moved away after 4 years. Into a
centrally
heated house.
I was in all day today, so I lit the woodburner. It takes quite a few
hours
to get up to speed but it's now 22c, only achieved by shutting this room
off
from the kitchen. It's fabulous.

Boyfie grows a huge coat in the winter and I dress like the Michelin Man -
we're used to being a bit nippy. I don't think it harms Boyfie - he never
gets fleas, they can't survive my house during the winter even if he ever
got one, it would say "well, that was a bad idea.."
Tigger & Maisie, my brother's cat & dog, always have fleas. It's a real
problem and they do everything they can, they bomb the house, they
shampoo
them with flea shampoo, they use Spot on flea treatment, but they still
have
them because they have central heating and their house is hot all the year
round, which suits fleas.
I once came back with a flea from their house on my clothing one
Christmas.
I went up to the bathroom for a wash (not knowing the flea was there) It
jumped into the water and committed suicide. I like to think it noted the
difference in temperature and thought "well, best die in warm water than
freeze to death in this house" g

Tweed

A fine mental image. Bug commits suicide. I'm also curious about how
the woodburner

I guess I have central heating - it's part of the A/C system. I know
it cools, and supposedly it heats when it has to. It pumps air all
through the house. That's a better way of doing it than my old house,
which boiled water to generate steam that went to the radiators in
pipes. No central A/C in that house. But I like just pumping hot or
cold air into reach room because that way there's a main filter that
catches stuff going into the system. Because I have four cats, I clean
or replace it every three months. It catches a lot of cat hair.
Probably some of mine as well.

I suppose in a few months I'll see if the heat ever goes on. I'm
assured by the locals that it will get cold enough for a few weeks to
turn on. But I'll lower the temperature if that happens. I don't
really need it at 77F (25C), a few degrees cooler would be more than
adequate.

18C is more than adequate, help with the global warming.