Kittens and pianos

Old August 26th 04, 10:56 PM
Melissa Houle

Default Kittens and pianos

Helen's story about the woodchip turned toy turned aggressor reminded me of
a childhood amusement I used to have. (Don't ask me why, exactly. My brain
gallops around in weird ways.) Anyhow, when I was growing up, Luna, our
family cat was permitted to have several litters of kittens, before we
finally carted her off and had her spayed. Before anyone says how
irresponsible this was, I can only say, I'm sorry, I know better now and am
very much a proponent of timely spaying and neutering. However, at age
ten, I knew nothing about any of this, and only knew that kittens were
absurdly amusing.

We had also had a piano then, and I discovered a very simple but very
amusing way to entertain myself. I would sit and watch the kittens playing,
then play a note on the keyboard. WIthout fail, ALL the kittens would
panic, and stampede for shelter--BEHIND the piano! If you looked in the
little space between the back of the piano and the wall, you'd see a little
stack of kittens hiding from the Piano Monster--or so they thought. They
all looked very sweet all huddled up together back there. Before long,
they'd emerge from hiding, and go back to playing. I'd let them play for a
while, then hit a different note on the piano with the same results. Nor
was it just the case with one litter. I kept playing this game with litter
after litter, and ALL of Luna's children would scuttle to safety behind the
piano. Part of me wishes I could test this theory with Nina. But then I
realize, she's plenty cute the way she is. =o)

Melissa

Old August 27th 04, 06:49 AM
LOL

"Melissa Houle" wrote in message ...
[...]

This post made me laugh and startle *my* kitten! LOL!
------
Krista

Old August 27th 04, 01:15 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:56:17 GMT, "Melissa Houle"
yodeled:

[...]

Very cute story. Unfortunately, that didn't work with Stinky, who
regularly strolls up and down the keyboard, often in the middle of the
night.

Theresa

Old August 27th 04, 01:21 PM
Sherry

Very cute story. Unfortunately, that didn't work with Stinky, who
regularly strolls up and down the keyboard, often in the middle of the
night.

Theresa

He isn't strolling. He's probably composing. Stinky sounds to me like a very
artistic cat.

Sherry

Old August 27th 04, 02:07 PM
Sherry

He isn't strolling. He's probably composing

Definitely influenced by Bartok.

. Stinky sounds to me like a very
artistic cat.

He is very artistically beached on the daybed.

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:

He's not beached. He's voguing. Get your camera, like a good slave.

Sherry