What to do with the ashes?

Old May 17th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default What to do with the ashes?

Since Peewee is still sitting on my mantle (after a year), and Mimi is
due to come back next week - the question remains...what should I do
with their ashes...?

Pee liked going outdoors - and I'd be inclined to put him in a pot
outside with some bulbs, though I'm not sure I want him and Mimi in
the yard here permanently. Mimi hated going outside - but I think
she'd like some flowers to chew on. DH suggested sprinkling them
at the park where I put my snakes...but that's not a place they ever
were, ya know? My dog is on a beach in CA because she loved it there
- if and when the other dog goes, she will join her. I can't see
putting the cats in a place they have never been.

I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
moved.

What to do, what to do....
Old May 17th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"-L." wrote in message
[...]

I have always buried my cats' bodies, but I may do cremation in the future.
When I buried my cats, I planted a tree at the head of the spot where they
were buried. That served as a living memorial to them and also meant that I
could always remember the exact location. Of course, as you said, that
meant that I could not take them with me. I very much like your idea of
creating a base for a cat statue by mixing the ashes, and I have a friend
who selects a hollow cat figurine -- one that looks as much like the cat as
possible -- and keeps the ashes there. My sister-in-law ordered a memorial
stone with her cat's name and an inscription. She is going to place the
stone in her garden and bury the ashes there. Here are some examples of the
type of stone she used. (She used a flat stone, not the upright type that
look like tombstones.) I don't know where she got hers, but she was able to
have her cat's name and her own selection for an inscription engraved.
http://www.memorial-urns.com/pet_memorial_stones.html

MaryL

Old May 17th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I have always scattered their ashes where they loved to be. (The back yard
and later the deck.) The wind and elements of course scatter them about the
world while hopefully their spirits remain near me. The problem with
holding on to the ashes even in a container, unless you are going to live in
the same place forever, is that as you live out your much longer life span
you are going to be moving around with a whole lot of containers, especially
if you have had multiple cats.

Barb

Old May 17th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote
I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
moved.

That sounds like a neat idea.

Old May 17th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

On May 17, 5:33 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"-L." wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the link, Mary. Maybe I should scope around on the 'net
and see what's available.

My family must be procrastinators - I just realized we still have Mom
too.
-L.
Old May 17th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:
"-L." wrote in message

[...]

My mother died in September, and I have her ashes. Both she and my father
had requested that, and my brother-in-law before them. Our family had
donated a small "reading garden" (ornamental trees and benches for students
to use) in memory of my father and brother-in-law. We obtained permission
to scatter their ashes under those trees (well back from the walking path,
although that really would not matter). My sister and I are going to take
Mother's ashes with us when we go to Ohio this summer, and our family will
get together for a small service and scatter her ashes in the same area.

I was so sorry to hear about Mimi. I know how painful it is to go through
that experience.

MaryL

Old May 20th 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "-L." :

snip

I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
moved.

Yeah, this sounds very cool. Makes me think Egyptian for some reason.

I love this idea.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old May 22nd 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

One might arrange to have the ashes buried with oneself or mixed with
one's own ashes and scattered.

Ashes Granby Cat community 16 December 3rd 07 06:41 PM
Shmogg's ashes Yowie Cat anecdotes 17 November 25th 07 11:19 PM
cat eats litter and ashes jjg Cat health & behaviour 3 November 13th 07 01:19 PM
Island stories: Ashes Marina Cat anecdotes 14 July 26th 06 10:40 PM
Picking up the ashes [email protected] Cat anecdotes 15 May 28th 05 04:26 PM