Abandoned blind kitten discovers new home

Old December 13th 03, 09:06 PM
Sjh452

Default Abandoned blind kitten discovers new home

ABANDONED BLIND KITTEN DISCOVERS NEW HOME

By: KRISTI FLIPPIN, Staff Writer December 10, 2003
Tyler, Texas

On a frigid and rainy night three weeks ago, several kittens nuzzled together
to keep warm, but one small black and tiger-striped kitten was left out. It was
running in circles in a yard at Chelsea Creek Apartments.

An apartment resident, Sylvia Adams, took the wet kitten in out of the rain for
the night, but had to release it the next day to ensure the safety of her own
two house cats.

While feeding the kittens and four mother cats the next day, Ms. Adams noticed
one kitten had been deserted by its mother and the other kittens wouldn't let
it eat.

The next night, Ms. Adams heard meowing outside her second-story apartment and
found the small kitten sitting at her doorstep.

"There is no way she could have made it up the stairs by herself," Ms. Adams
said.

One of the mother cats carried the kitten up the stairs and dropped it off in
front of Ms. Adams' apartment door.

"I think the mother cat knew the kitten would need special help," Ms. Adams
said.

Ms. Adams took the kitten to work with her at Red Little's Combined
Underwriters insurance agency and the office employees immediately fell in love
with the kitten.

"We are all cat lovers," Little said and dubbed the kitten an office pet.

They took the kitten to the veterinarian to get its vaccinations, but were hit
with a disturbing surprise.

"The vet called and said she was blind," said Regina Rooney, insurance agent
and Little's daughter. "He said she was either born with no eyeballs or had a
feline infection that disintegrated her little eyes."

Ms. Adams said she now realizes why the other kittens wouldn't let her have any
food.

"It was survival of the fittest," she said. "There is no way she could have
survived outside on her own."

The kitten was named Annie, as in Little Orphan Annie, and immediately went
from rags to riches.

The otherwise professional office was transformed into a cat nursery.

Several soft, furry or bouncy cat toys are scattered across the insurance
agency floor.

"Even the girl from Jason's Deli bought her some toys," Ms. Rooney said.

Annie has her own little room, complete with a red cat bed, stuffed animals and
a litter box.

Annie adapted quickly to her new home. She feels her way along the walls of the
large office and often follows voices. Her favorite spot to hang out is in the
middle of the office near three steps.

"She likes to hide and pounce at us when she hears us come down the steps," Ms.
Rooney said.

Annie even takes an afternoon nap in Betty Portman's desk drawer, where there
is an inviting turquoise blanket and a tiny doll pillow.

"She usually falls asleep in my lap and then I set her in the drawer," Ms.
Portman said.

After three weeks of life as an office kitty, Annie and the staff couldn't be
happier.

"Annie has definitely captured all of our hearts," Little said.

Ms. Adams agrees, "she has brought a lot of joy to our office."

Kristi Flippin covers Wood and Van Zandt counties. She can be reached at
903.597.8111. e-mail:

©Tyler Morning Telegraph 2003

Old December 13th 03, 11:04 PM
Dennis Carr

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:06:18 +0000, Sjh452 wrote:

ABANDONED BLIND KITTEN DISCOVERS NEW HOME

(story snipped for brevity)

That's something to bring a smile to my face today. =^^= Hope that little
blind girl has a good life.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 13th 03, 11:21 PM
Karen

in article , Sjh452 at
wrote on 12/13/03 2:06 PM:

[...]

Awww. What a great story. I'm glad for the little kitty.

Karen

Old December 14th 03, 12:59 AM
Cat Protector

It was nice to see a happy ending to the story but will she be going home
with any of the employees? Especially since the holiday season approaches.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old December 14th 03, 05:30 AM
Sherry

It was nice to see a happy ending to the story but will she be going home
with any of the employees? Especially since the holiday season approaches.

I wonder where those two stray cats at your apartment complex, plus the
declawed abandoned cat from a month ago, are going to spend *their* holidays.

Sherry