Good news, bad news, and kittens update

Old June 20th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Good news, bad news, and kittens update

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Abraham Lincoln wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

The bad news: Spooky did *not* come home today. He went out yesterday
during a break in the rain - that surprised me because he never goes
out when it's wet, in fact, he hadn't been out at all in the last few
weeks. I posted back in March that he was getting old, and he's been
deteriorating rapidly lately. I think he went outside to find a place
to be alone to die in peace. I will be very surprised if he returns,
but I hope he does.

I would be too especially since you were dumb enough to let him out -
maybe you should have had a brain and kept him inside since he was
ailing. Or maybe he will get a true home for his last days better than
the one he had.

And maybe YOU are an idiot trying to make trouble! It's plain to see
the summer invasion of trolls is upon us. You've never posted here
before, and Ted has been telling about his brood of rescued cats for
some time, now. (P-L-O-N-K!)

Nope the only idiots here seem to be you, and Ted. If he had a brain -
and wasn't such a cheap MF'er it seems - he would do the right thing and
let Spooky go with dignity. Remember Frank and Betty? See that's what
is supposed to be done by "caring" cat owners.

ab
- plonk all you want - we'll make more - the truth and common sense will
not be contained by the actions of rose-colored glasses wearing people
who think they are living in a "brady bunch" world.
Old June 20th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

Jo Firey wrote:
"Ted Davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:38:43 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Abraham Lincoln" wrote in message
Ted Davis wrote:

I suspect that the reason you are such an "indoor only" fanitic is
that any cat of yours that had a chance to run away would run away at
the first opportunity.

I'm so brutal to cats that strays and ferals sometimes seek out my
clowder and join it. When was the last time a cat *chose* to live
with you?

Note, you are being bated by a non-resident troll. Try to ignore.

Jo

I realise Cybercat is a worthless troll, but I enjoy a good flame too
much to initially ignore. I'm with Ted, and just wanted to show support
for an realistic cat lover.

Clangnuts

You may enjoy a "good flame", but this group does not. Here's a quote
from our FAQ: http://www.angelfire.com/mt/yowie/catfaq.htm:

"6.2.3 The indoor/outdoor debate.
We've all go our own viewpoints: only you can decide what is best for your
cat. Most people know all the issues back to front and don't want to hear
them again."

[BTW Yowie, my offer of web space to host the FAQ page - with your own
login - still applies, the pop-ups on that page drive me crazy!!] ;

I consider myself a "realistic cat lover" and all may cats stay happily,
and safe, indoors. Please don't assume that everyone here, except
"trolls", believes in letting cats roam.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I never supported either viewpiont in my post. You seem a little uptight.
All I said was that Ted is a realistic cat lover. For TEDS situation, I
agree with his actions. Every situation has to be viewed individually.

Clangnuts

Old June 20th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

ab wrote:

Nope the only idiots here seem to be you, and Ted. If he had a brain -
and wasn't such a cheap MF'er it seems - he would do the right thing and
let Spooky go with dignity. Remember Frank and Betty? See that's what
is supposed to be done by "caring" cat owners.

I know better than to reply to you, but since you use Frank as an
example I guess I have to. I would much have preferred if he had gone
naturally in his sleep, even if he'd hidden away when he knew his time
was up, than watch as the vet gave him a sedative that made him vomit
and then watch her give him a lethal dose while he lolled lifelessly on
the table. There was nothing dignified about that. Sometimes old pets,
like old people, just die, without suffering or pain. It would make me
happy if that had happened with Frank and Nikki, even if they had gone
off to die in peace, away from me. As long as they hadn't suffered.

Old June 20th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Ted Davis wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:38:06 -0700, Abraham Lincoln
wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

The bad news: Spooky did *not* come home today. He went out yesterday
during a break in the rain - that surprised me because he never goes
out when it's wet, in fact, he hadn't been out at all in the last few
weeks. I posted back in March that he was getting old, and he's been
deteriorating rapidly lately. I think he went outside to find a place
to be alone to die in peace. I will be very surprised if he returns,
but I hope he does.

I would be too especially since you were dumb enough to let him out -
maybe you should have had a brain and kept him inside since he was
ailing. Or maybe he will get a true home for his last days better than
the one he had.

I bought a place in the country so I could have free cats instead of
captives. The ones that want to be indoor cats are free to be indoor
cats; the ones that want to be outdoor cats can be outdoor cats; the
ones that want to be both can be both, and they can change their minds
whenever convenient. Many of the cats in my clowder were semiferal as
kittens - most of the others were discarded or lost when I rescued
them. Spooky's background is unknown - he came to dinner one night in
October 1992 and stayed. He liked not having to be outside and having
the freedom to go out when it suited him.

--
T.E.D. )

In a nice little cookie-cutter world, every cat would have an indoor
home with safe access to the outdoors. Makes me wonder which
cookie-cutter world some of the posters we get come from.
The reality is, cats are as different. Some cats would go slap crazy
confined indoors. It's fortunate that there are a few places where it's
relatively safe to let a cat out. And confining *that particular type*
of cat indoors against its will IMO is borderline abuse.

Old June 20th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:
ab wrote:

[...]

((((((Marina))))))))

Old June 20th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message

I know better than to reply to you, but since you use Frank as an example
I guess I have to. I would much have preferred if he had gone naturally in
his sleep, even if he'd hidden away when he knew his time was up, than
watch as the vet gave him a sedative that made him vomit and then watch
her give him a lethal dose while he lolled lifelessly on the table. There
was nothing dignified about that. Sometimes old pets, like old people,
just die, without suffering or pain. It would make me happy if that had
happened with Frank and Nikki, even if they had gone off to die in peace,
away from me. As long as they hadn't suffered.

I don't want to continue a flame fest here, but one of the things you said
sparked an observation on my part.

I think, for me, it would be the not knowing that would bother me. I guess
that comes from being reared by a mother who always stressed all the bad
things that could happen to me (whe was a *VERY* negative person). I
couldn't just imagine that they had just gone off and quietly went to sleep
somewhere and then died in their sleep. We had to have Percy put down, and
it was horribly hard to do to watch him go, but we took consolation in being
able to hug, pet, and quietly talk to him while he went (and we were lucky
that he didn't have any reactions to the meds except to quietly go to
sleep). If any of my cats wandered off I would be imagining the most
horrible things (being run over by a car but *not* killed instantly thus
suffering horribly all alone and feeling lost and rejected, being picked up
and tortured by some sicko and wondering where her Mommy was and why she
didn't come to help her, being sick in convulsions and feeling abandoned by
the person she gave all her love and her life to, etc.). I don't think I'd
ever be able to sleep again. I think this is why I *have* to keep mine in
my sight at all times - my imagination and empathy levels are just too
active.

Anyway, I think you're right, we should end this thread now (or start a
troll-b-que), we'll never all agree on this issue. It *was* tactless to
bring someone else's RB cats into the discussion.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 20th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Ben Franklin wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Mischief wrote:

Actually, Mischief didn't, I did. (But who expects trolls
to understand attributing posts correctly?)

Well, that IS what animals do in the wild, and I gather from his posts
that most of Ted's cats have been semi-feral rescues. It's a sad fact
of feline life, but personally I'd rather that than keep a suffering
cat with a terminal condition alive simply because I couldn't bear to
part with it. Better the cat take the decision out of my hands.

If Ted had a backbone or any "intestinal fortitude" he would be able to
let Spooky die with dignity instead of being the wimp he is. Hopefully
he will be able to "suck it up" and do what's right if it comes to that
as it seems it mightl be. But I kinda doubt he can - though I hope I am
wrong.

......And troll season is just STARTING! (P-L-O-N-K!)

Old June 20th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

JohnHancock wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

Typically, cats go away from home to die ... if they can. What do you
call denying a cat its last request by forbidding it to die the way it
wants to?

Did he specifically "ask" you to let him do this? No because he can't.
You are a spineless wimp who doesn't have it in him to let a cat go
peacefully and with dignity through being PTS. You'd rather let him
wander off and die alone because you don't really give a crap about him.
IF you did you would do the right thing and have him PTS if it has come
to that instead of just setting on your hands and "letting nature take
it's course" as you imagine is happening. When you're not in the
Serengeti - this is the real world wake up idiot.

It is YOU who are the "idiot"! In the "real" world,
creatures dies when they are ready to die (it's we who live
in an artificial environment). Humans have the option to
save an animal needless agony, in which case "euthanising"
them is an act of mercy. If a cat is merely old, but not
apparently suffering, why not let it live out its appointed
time, and choose its own departure?

Old June 20th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Abraham Lincoln wrote:

I would be too especially since you were dumb enough to let him out -
maybe you should have had a brain and kept him inside since he was
ailing. Or maybe he will get a true home for his last days better than
the one he had.

And maybe YOU are an idiot trying to make trouble! It's plain to see the
summer invasion of trolls is upon us. You've never posted here before, and
Ted has been telling about his brood of rescued cats for some time, now.
(P-L-O-N-K!)

Is there some way to plonk it permanently, like, by IP address or something?
Because it just keeps changing its "name" and coming back, making it
difficult to avoid.

Old June 20th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

.. .

Abraham Lincoln wrote:

I would be too especially since you were dumb enough to let him out -
maybe you should have had a brain and kept him inside since he was
ailing. Or maybe he will get a true home for his last days better than
the one he had.

And maybe YOU are an idiot trying to make trouble! It's plain to see

the
summer invasion of trolls is upon us. You've never posted here before,

and
Ted has been telling about his brood of rescued cats for some time, now.
(P-L-O-N-K!)

Is there some way to plonk it permanently, like, by IP address or

something?
Because it just keeps changing its "name" and coming back, making it
difficult to avoid.

I'm not sure. Is there some way to make idiots like you take their
cats to the vet when they have been sick all night and all day,
rather than asking for "purrs that this will not be necessary?"