Shut Up, Buffy!

Old September 22nd 15, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Shut Up, Buffy!

First time I've encountered this with Buffy. I don't know what got into
her last night. We were asleep. She was on the bed next to me. At
around 1AM she started meowing. I immediately woke up and asked,
"What's wrong, girl?" I gave her some scritches and she settled down again.

No sooner had I dozed off, she started meowing again. She had food,
water. I'd just scooped the litterbox before I went to bed. There are
toys galore in the living room. I know there are no monsters in the
closet. Heheh.

This went on for the rest of the night. I'd doze off, Buffy would start
meowing.

I tried ignoring her meows. That just led to her climbing over me to
make sure I woke up. It appears for some reason Buffy did not want me
to sleep last night.

As 5AM approached I was *really* irritated. I briefly thought about
shutting her out of the bedroom. That just proves I was sleep-deprived
and not thinking clearly. LOL I *know* she would not be quiet if I shut
her out of the bedroom. She wouldn't understand it anymore than I
understood why she kept waking me up.

Needless to say I'm a tad cranky today. I'm going to try to wear her
out with the fishing wand toy shortly before I go to bed tonight.

Jill
Old September 23rd 15, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Licky does this to me a lot. I think he listens to my breathing, and when
it changes to a sleep rhythm, that's when he wakes me up. I now have to
shut both cats out of my bedroom at night, even though Roxy is a good girl
and doesn't wake me up every two seconds. She'll wake me up once during
the night for a very sweet, purry cuddle. Then back to her spot on the bed.
But I can't keep one cat in the bedroom and one outside, unless I put a
litterbox in my bedroom, which I do NOT want to do. So they're either both
allowed in or both kept out. Fortunately, they don't make noise on the
other side of the door, so once they're out of the room, I can sleep.

I do try to allow them to sleep with me a couple of times per week because
I really miss them. Licky isn't a bad boy every night, so sometimes that
works out.

--
Joyce

If your kid comes out of the bedroom and says he just shut down the
government, it seems to me he should at least have an outfit for that."
-- John Waters, on the sorry style of today's rebels

Old September 23rd 15, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_4_]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:29:36 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Is it boredom causing Buffy to do that?

Lucy is clearly bored today... I know trouble is coming when she makes
her 'brrr' noise and races from one end of the house to the other - or
should I say trouble for Annie, who she loves to torment when she's
bored... poor old Annie Aside from that, Lucy keeps getting between
me and the computer screen, trying to get my attention. Yep, she's
bored alright.

Here's a pic of cheeky Lucy:
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1509230811470098.jpg
Old September 23rd 15, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's possibly boredom. I don't know what else I can do to
entertain her. She's got tons of toys and we play every day.

This is the first time since I adopted her (in June) she has tried to
disturb my sleep. No wait, I take that back. She's a litterbox digger.
Noisy! She beats on the inside of the box with her paws like she's
playing conga drums. She tried to use that ruse to wake me up the first
week she was here. Always at 2:30, then 3:30, 4:30. I knew she wasn't
using the box that often. She was just trying to get my attention. I
ignored her. She stopped doing that.

This is the first time she's tried the meowing and climb all over Jill
routine. I really do need to get some sleep tonight.

Lucy is clearly bored today... I know trouble is coming when she makes
her 'brrr' noise and races from one end of the house to the other - or
should I say trouble for Annie, who she loves to torment when she's
bored... poor old Annie Aside from that, Lucy keeps getting between
me and the computer screen, trying to get my attention. Yep, she's
bored alright.

Here's a pic of cheeky Lucy:
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1509230811470098.jpg

Lucy is very pretty.

I'm about to have a good play session with Buffy using the wand toy.
Hopefully the exercise will burn off some of her energy. I'd like her
to sleep tonight rather than wake me up every hour or so. Wish me luck,
folks!

Jill
Old September 23rd 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

First time I've encountered this with Buffy. I don't know what got
into her last night. We were asleep. She was on the bed next to me.
At around 1AM she started meowing. I immediately woke up and asked,
"What's wrong, girl?" I gave her some scritches and she settled down
again.

No sooner had I dozed off, she started meowing again. She had food,
water. I'd just scooped the litterbox before I went to bed. There
are toys galore in the living room. I know there are no monsters in
the closet. Heheh.

This went on for the rest of the night. I'd doze off, Buffy would
start meowing.

Our Ishtar did that when she was very old. As far as we could tell
it seemed to be a mild case of kitty Alzheimer's. Leaving a light
on helped.

Old September 23rd 15, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/23/2015 12:13 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
First time I've encountered this with Buffy. I don't know what got
into her last night. We were asleep. She was on the bed next to me.
At around 1AM she started meowing. I immediately woke up and asked,
"What's wrong, girl?" I gave her some scritches and she settled down
again.

No sooner had I dozed off, she started meowing again. She had food,
water. I'd just scooped the litterbox before I went to bed. There
are toys galore in the living room. I know there are no monsters in
the closet. Heheh.

This went on for the rest of the night. I'd doze off, Buffy would
start meowing.

Our Ishtar did that when she was very old. As far as we could tell
it seemed to be a mild case of kitty Alzheimer's. Leaving a light
on helped.

Well, I don't know how old Buffy is but the guestimate is 6 years.
There's a night light in the bathroom by the sink. The sink area is
open to the bedroom so it's never actually dark in the room.

I had an air conditioning technician working on the AC that day. He was
traipsing in and out of the house and she's just not used to that. It
must have upset her little world. She hid under the sofa most of the time.

She did come out when he was in the attic long enough to discover I have
a magic staircase that pulls down out of the ceiling. (Access to the
attic, which is little more than a crawlspace with a door in the ceiling
and a built-in fold down ladder.) I've caught her sitting in the
hallway staring up at the ceiling a few times since then. I know she's
wondering what happened to those stairs!

She let me sleep last night just fine. Whew!

Jill
Old September 23rd 15, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia and P2nya

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Piy2nya has a howling moan at night.
That happens when I leave her "Cat Dancer" toy on the floor.
I come into the livingroom, and find her sitting in the long wire between
the cardboard roll-ups, crying "My toy is dead, it Wooont play with me."
So I swing it around a few times, then hide it again.

Sylvia

Old September 23rd 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]

Piy2nya has a howling moan at night.
That happens when I leave her "Cat Dancer" toy on the floor.
I come into the livingroom, and find her sitting in the long wire between
the cardboard roll-ups, crying "My toy is dead, it Wooont play with me."
So I swing it around a few times, then hide it again.

Sylvia

Sam sometimes wanders around meowing. It's almost like he's forgotten
where I've gone, even though he's not suffering from some kind of kitty
dementia and I now live in an apartment, which, although not terribly
small, doesn't really have many rooms for me and Cinnamon to be in. I
just call out to him once or twice, and he quiets down and usually
wanders in to curl up on the bed or a pillow just as though he's
suddenly discovered where everyone has gotten to.

--
Cheryl
Old September 23rd 15, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/23/2015 1:44 PM, Sylvia and P2nya wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I was warned it would be something like that. I was told to hide
it when we weren't playing.

The wand-toy was sent to me by a friend right after I adopted Buffy.
She warned me, you have put it away when you're done. Out of sight.
Otherwise she'll never leave you alone!

So yes, I stash it in the closet.

She always has her golf ball to play with. She loves her golf ball. She
bats it all over the house.

She also likes some little stuffed toys that are filled with catnip.
She's a playful cat. I was told she was quite timid. That's because
she was being bullied by another cat.

She seems to have taken quite well to being an only cat with tons of
toys. And she's living with someone who absolutely loves her. Me!

Jill
Old September 23rd 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I never allow Boyfie to sleep on my bed. Because I am the worst sleeper in
the world and he would wake me up from the little amount of sleep I get.
He doesn't expect it, he has his own bedroom which he retires to around
midnight. He has a pyramid bed on top of a normal double bed and he get in
there all night.

He would like to be allowed out all night, like when he was two or three
years old but I say no, not now.
He's 13. I have chickens so the foxes come every night to check that I've
shut them up. I do not want Boyfie to encounter a fox now. so he has be in
his bed by midnight, but now and again he stays out until stupid o'clock and
I stay up too until he's home.
He strolls in at 2 a.m. I say "where have you been??" He says "just
looking around.."