Otis and the Great Pyrennes

Old June 12th 05, 02:39 AM
Susan M

Default Otis and the Great Pyrennes

Hi all:

Otis had a bit of a scare today.

Roxie, the Great Pyrennes two doors down, has been part of a huge custody
battle and is rarely in the neighbourhood. Steve gets her for the odd
weekend, his ex-wife for much of the time, and his eldest daughter the rest
of the time. Every once and while, when Steve isn't home, his teenaged kids
tie Roxie up outside at the front of the house. Remarkably, they actually
tied her to the gas line on the outside of the house. Luckily for them, the
rope broke instead of the gas line today. Unfortunately, Otis just happened
to be there when it broke.

Roxie took off after Otis and, according to witnesses, Otis was going at
warp speed when he attempted to make a sharp turn on our driveway in order
to head through the hole in our fence to the safety of the backyard. He
never got to the hole because he lost traction on the asphalt of the our
driveway, did a somersault, and took off running again, ending 20 feet up in
the neighbour's spruce tree. When I went to see him, he was puffed out to
three times his normal size and really quite freaked out. It took him some
time to decide to come down. Meanwhile, I had to take Roxie back to her
house and wasn't too sure about that - Roxie is a huge dog. The neighbour
accross the street came to help - he is a dog person and was firm with
Roxie, who then cowered. She was not cowering from me.

Anyway, Otis' world remains rocked. He is startled at every movement inside
the safety of his own house. He ripped a bit of the covering off his thumb
claw pad but otherwise is unharmed.

Considering that free roaming dogs were outlawed in the city about 20 years
ago and we don't have a stray dog problem, this was a very unusual
circumstance. I'm relieved that Otis made it out okay and satisfied that he
will remain more vigilant in the future.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 12th 05, 03:31 AM
Hopitus

I have seen about 3 dogs of that breed in my lifetime; I
still think they are among the most beautiful d-pets on earth! BUT...I don't
blame Otis for running for his life!
Those dogs are HUGE, and I know nothing re their dispositions, though the
ones I saw were w/their owners and relatively mellow. Otis would not have
been a meal, just a snack for a Great Pyrennes. I'm glad Otis is okay except
for his pad-pad and his nerves. Long live Otis.

Old June 12th 05, 04:30 AM
Mischief

We have a dog, named Chiller, like that who occasionally will board
with our clinic. Yes, they are huge, and I can't imagine what they
must look like to a cat. Probably what a dinosaur would look like to
us.

Purrs for poor Otis, but I think it would have been quite funny to see.

Maybe you ought to buy a white stuffed dog so Otis can beat it up and
show him who's boss. hehehehe

Kristi

Old June 12th 05, 04:57 AM
Karen

in article 6nMqe.1652748$6l.1354800@pd7tw2no, Susan M at smawdsley remove
@shaw.ca wrote on 6/11/05 8:39 PM:

[...]

Poor Otis!! That was truly tramatic!! Hope he calms down by tomorrow.

Old June 12th 05, 05:15 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:39:14 GMT, "Susan M" smawdsley remove
@shaw.ca yodeled:

[...]

Poor Otis!!! Oh my, that was quite an adventure. BTW, poor Roxie too,
for being in the midst of that custody battle. Glad nobody was hurt.

Theresa
Old June 12th 05, 05:18 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:31:41 -0600, "Hopitus"
yodeled:

I have seen about 3 dogs of that breed in my lifetime; I
still think they are among the most beautiful d-pets on earth! BUT...I don't
blame Otis for running for his life!
Those dogs are HUGE, and I know nothing re their dispositions, though the
ones I saw were w/their owners and relatively mellow. Otis would not have
been a meal, just a snack for a Great Pyrennes. I'm glad Otis is okay except
for his pad-pad and his nerves. Long live Otis.

I met one once, and it was an absolutely glorious dog. He was a big
walking carpet. Drool everywhere, though.

Theresa
Old June 12th 05, 12:11 PM
Adrian

Susan M wrote:
[...]

Poor Otis, I'm glad he's OK.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old June 12th 05, 01:53 PM
polonca12000

Poor Otis!
Lots and lots of calming purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

[...]

time to decide to come down. snip

Old June 12th 05, 02:11 PM
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
Otis had a bit of a scare today.

A bit?

circumstance. I'm relieved that Otis made it out okay and satisfied that he
will remain more vigilant in the future.

Poor baby, give him some extra scritches and treats for me. Purrs for
Otis to calm down soon.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 12th 05, 03:33 PM
jmcquown

Susan M wrote:
Hi all:

Otis had a bit of a scare today.

Roxie, the Great Pyrennes two doors down, has been part of a huge
custody battle and is rarely in the neighbourhood. Steve gets her
for the odd weekend, his ex-wife for much of the time, and his eldest
daughter the rest of the time. Every once and while, when Steve
isn't home, his teenaged kids tie Roxie up outside at the front of
the house.

Tying the dog up out FRONT is a very bad idea. I don't know Roxie's
disposition but if that rope broke and a small child were walking by it
could lead to some real problems for the owners (if they ever figure out who
gets custody). Better those teens should be told to tie Roxie in the back
yard.

[...]

Poor Otis! I hope he recovers his nerves soon.

Jill