my log-on message

Old December 10th 04, 02:41 AM

Default my log-on message

When I log onto my email account, I always get a little message -
sometimes humorous, sometimes meaningful, sometimes just bizarre.
It's from a little program called "fortune" - ie, it's like a
Chinese fortune cookie.

Anyway, when I just logged on just now, here's the little fortune
message I got:

"May all your PUSHes be POPped."

OMG!!! Somebody's been WATCHING ME!!!!

(Note to programmers: yes, I do know what it really means. I just
couldn't resist that reference to... POPPING.)

Joyce
Old December 10th 04, 03:33 AM
Yowie

wrote in message
When I log onto my email account, I always get a little message -
sometimes humorous, sometimes meaningful, sometimes just bizarre.
It's from a little program called "fortune" - ie, it's like a
Chinese fortune cookie.

Anyway, when I just logged on just now, here's the little fortune
message I got:

"May all your PUSHes be POPped."

OMG!!! Somebody's been WATCHING ME!!!!

(Note to programmers: yes, I do know what it really means. I just
couldn't resist that reference to... POPPING.)

Is this similar to peek & poke?

Yowie
not a programmer

Old December 10th 04, 04:21 AM
Zorin the Lynx

10 REM APPLESOFT BASIC
20 FOR X = 1 TO 8000
30 F = PEEK (-16336)
40 NEXT X
50 PRINT "PHEW!! SOMEONE OPEN A WINDOW!!!"
60 END

Is this similar to peek & poke?

Old December 10th 04, 05:24 AM
Yowie

Not having an Apple, not even having anything akin to BASIC anymore, I"m
sorry, but you'll have to tell me what that does rather than letting me find
out :-)

Although you don'thave to look it 8000 times, only once or twice will do.

Thanks

Yowie

"Zorin the Lynx" wrote in message

10 REM APPLESOFT BASIC
20 FOR X = 1 TO 8000
30 F = PEEK (-16336)
40 NEXT X
50 PRINT "PHEW!! SOMEONE OPEN A WINDOW!!!"
60 END

Yowie wrote:

Is this similar to peek & poke?

Old December 10th 04, 06:02 AM
Katrina

On 2004-12-09 20:30:54 -0800, Kreisleriana said:

Speaking of such goodies, does anyone remember the Macintosh Talking
Moose? I loved that thing. I was always so mad they never made one
for PCs.

I'm still bummed that "the Grouch" went by the wayside in System 7 or
so. For those who never knew about it, "the Grouch" was a little
program for Macs that modified the trashcan. When you put a file into
the trash, Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street would pop out and sing
"Oh, I Love Trash..." When the Muppets were bought by Disney, the
Disney lawyers put a stop to it. I guess Jim Henson didn't mind, but
Disney sure did.

Katrina

Old December 10th 04, 06:15 AM
Takayuki

"Yowie" wrote:

wrote in message
"May all your PUSHes be POPped."

OMG!!! Somebody's been WATCHING ME!!!!

(Note to programmers: yes, I do know what it really means. I just
couldn't resist that reference to... POPPING.)

Is this similar to peek & poke?

Yowie
not a programmer

Sort of, in the sense that PEEK & POKE and PUSH & POP are pairs of
corresponding memory read/write operations that are typically
represented by a single CPU opcode. The difference being that PEEK
and POKE are random access operations, and PUSH and POP are stack
operations.

But that's not important; the important thing is that bubbels make
lots of popping sounds when you clear the screen!

Old December 10th 04, 06:54 AM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:02:01 GMT, Katrina
yodeled:

On 2004-12-09 20:30:54 -0800, Kreisleriana said:

Speaking of such goodies, does anyone remember the Macintosh Talking
Moose? I loved that thing. I was always so mad they never made one
for PCs.

I'm still bummed that "the Grouch" went by the wayside in System 7 or
so. For those who never knew about it, "the Grouch" was a little
program for Macs that modified the trashcan. When you put a file into
the trash, Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street would pop out and sing
"Oh, I Love Trash..." When the Muppets were bought by Disney, the
Disney lawyers put a stop to it. I guess Jim Henson didn't mind, but
Disney sure did.

Katrina

Oh, I remember that, too. And there was another little trashcan
modification called "Burp."

Theresa