Lorelei update 12-18-2010

Old December 19th 10, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Lorelei update 12-18-2010

Lorelei is doing pretty well, and making (very) slow but steady
progress.

She no longer hides in the basement at all, anymore.

She divides her time pretty equally between sleeping in my bedroom, and
sleeping on her cat tree

Sometimes I find her meatloafing in the dining room on a little stack of
old towels that used to be Kenzie's favorite place to sleep.

It's been washed. of course. I washed everything I could that smelled
like Kenzie, before I brought Lorelei home.

Once, a few days ago, I managed to lure her the few feet into the living
room so I could reach her from my computer chair.

I picked her up, and put her in my lap, and gave her lots of petting and
scritches.

She seemed content...but I kept one hand on her chest, keeping her from
jumping down.

As soon as I took my hand away, she jumped down, and ran into the
bedroom, though.

Next time, I'm going to try to keep her in the living room, using Fancy
Feast to lure her in, and keep her there...for a little while, anyways.

I did learn something unsettling about Lorelei: she is very scared of me
if I'm wearing shoes or boots: if she is on the floor in the dining
room, and I want to pass by her, or step over her, she's not scared of
me if I'm just wearing socks.

But if I'm wearing my shoes or boots, she runs away, and won't let me
get close to her. She will even run down into the basement, to get away
from me.....but only if I'm wearing shoes or boots.

I can walk past her, or step over her, as long as I'm barefoot, or only
wearing socks...which isn't very often at all during the bitterly cold
winter, here.

That's why it took me so long to figure this out, unfortunately.

The only reason I can think of why Lorelei would be afraid of me and my
feet ONLY while I have shoes on, is because somebody kicked her.

I had already figured out that she has been abused at some point in her
life, but now I know at least one way it was done

For reasons I haven't been able to figure out, Lorelei feels very safe
in my bedroom, and her sweet personality comes out.

She will sit on my lap, and she absolutely loves attention.

As soon as I lie down on my bed, Lorelei climbs on top of me, preferring
to lie on my chest.

She is a very good kitty: she hasn't gotten into any trouble of any
kind, since she's been here.

She has a sweet little meow, and slowly over time, she has been using it
a little more and more.

She purrs a lot, but it's virtually inaudible: I can only hear it when
she exhales. My first cat, Lucky(RB) had a 'stealth purr' just like
Lorelei has.

If there is any noise at all, I can't hear Lorelei purring.

Sometimes I touch her, just to see if she's purring. Lorelei has gotten
used this now: it used to startle her.

Slowly, Lorelei is getting used to living here, though she only really
seems relaxed in my bedroom, for reasons I sure can't figure out.

Old December 19th 10, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Storrmmee

glad for the up date. and i think she is progressing well, but if she is
comfortable in your bedroom you really shouldn't push her by holding her
places or bribing with food... if you do pick her up and can tell when she
is ready to leave put her down just before,
-as to the shoe thing, both OEJ and storrmmee have lived with us all their
lives, OEJ from birth and storrmmee from a few days, both hate and run from
DH and his shoes so it is not nessearrli indicitive of abuse, it might be
but isn't always so... and if you question abuse in storrmmee's case, just
ask the gramby , storrmmee considers abuse to her if the DH leaves the room,
lol.

Soft

Old December 19th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Ann791

On 12/19/2010 12:37 AM, Gandalf wrote:

[...]

Abby (RB) was a from a rescue group and we didn't know about her back
round. I took a long time before she was comfortable with DH. We think a
man must have kicked her in her former home. For a long time if you
touched her hips she would flinch. She did get to trust Peter.

Can you get yourself a pair of slippers to wear in the house?

--
Ann

in Connecticut
Old December 19th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

This is wonderful news. First I bet you are right about her being kicked.
Glad she doesn't hide in the basement now.

My Piglet you almost have to touch her to know she is purring. Also after
all these years, almost 8, she will sit on my lap but only if I have a hand
under her holding her. Let go and she is gone. Just her way.

You sound so much better about her and that is wonderful. Purrs to continue
for your adjustment, both of you.

Old December 19th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Booker

Frieda (RB) was very skared of feet with shoes, and it was because she
was accidentally stepped on when she was about a year old. No harm done,
but she was always very very wary of feet with shoes after that. Feet
without shoes are much safer for all kitties, so the hoomins in our
house don't wear shoes.

Old December 19th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
rafflescat

snipped
Slowly, Lorelei is getting used to living here, though she only really
seems relaxed in my bedroom, for reasons I sure can't figure out.

What a lovely tale. Ir's such a rewarding thing when an animal which
has been through a bad time finally puts it's trust in you. Such an
honour.
I have little Sukie and Lorelei's story is much the same as hers. I
can't get her to stay on my knee at all although when she panics and
jumps down, I get a frantic little story from her and she immediately
returns to rub her cheek on any part of me she can reach!
Lorelie is a lucky girl!

Jack, Harry n Sukies Meomie Bess.
Old December 19th 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

she is luki to haff yew, butted give her more fudz!
beauty

Old December 19th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
meOwy

On Dec 19, 1:37*am, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

Cats are genetically programmed with varied temperaments, and my sweet
kitty who has never seen hardship or abuse, is programmed to avoid
being restrained at all costs, thus she avoids being picked up,
petted, or kissed, and when she is being held, all her claws are out
at the ready to grasp any nearby object, such as a door jamb or a cat
tree, to escape from being "restrained". She is snuggly and
affectionate only at the time of her choosing. That's OK, because
when you love, you let go (but not outside); and to love a flower is
not to pick it; and to love a cat, is...well, a different story with
each cat. C.
Old December 20th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee

I think that Lorelei deserves a reward because of her good
progress in training you.

Here is a mousie for you, Lorelei... x:3QQ---------
--
Pitô.ônya

Way to go, Gandalf!

Sylvia

Old December 20th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

Slowly, Lorelei is getting used to living here, though she only really
seems relaxed in my bedroom, for reasons I sure can't figure out.

It sounds like she's making excellent progress, and your patience is
paying off.

Amelia