another question-this time about getting a dog-thanks for the

Old July 26th 03, 09:54 PM
Annie Wxill

wrote in message
-L. wrote:
Anyway, if you are an experienced dog owner, I would recommend the
breed - they are incredibly endearing. But if this is your first or
second dog, and/or you want a dog that is affectionate and attentive,
a Basenji is not for you. And they do make noise despit the
reputation. Compared to my other dog, she's quiet, though, and she

Yep, a kind of gurgly growly noise. It's odd. And yeah, the one Basenji I
knew wasn't overly affectionate, but he liked it ok.

Alice

As a latecomer to this thread, I don't know what was posted previously.
I've previously been owned by Basenjis. I say owned by, because they are
about as close to being a cat as you can get in a dog. They are extremely
intelligent and independent thinkers. They also are escape artists and not
cautious about running into traffic.
You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
well be a cat.
She was affectionate, but not in the adoring way of some dogs. Much more
like a cat. I still miss the little yodel that serves as a greeting.
Annie

Old July 26th 03, 11:36 PM

Annie Wxill wrote:
You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
well be a cat.

Heh, I don't wnat a basenji, was just remarking on the little experience
I've had with one. Cute dogs but not for me .

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 26th 03, 11:36 PM

Annie Wxill wrote:
You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
well be a cat.

Heh, I don't wnat a basenji, was just remarking on the little experience
I've had with one. Cute dogs but not for me .

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.