question on male cats

Old July 25th 03, 09:04 AM
Laura

Default question on male cats

hi
I presently have 2 female fixed cats and 1 8-10 week old female kitten whom
i rescused from a lady with at least 35 other cats and kittens. My mother
wanted a part persian or hym but she felt so sorry for the kitten we have
that she got her, and we are all happy for her. Well now she still wants
her part persian or hym kitten, or purebred, as long as it looks like a
persian or hym she doesn't really care. Anyway there is an ad in the paper
for blue point and flame point kittens with no papers (doesn't really matter
since they are cheaper with no papers and the kitten would be fixed anyway).
Problem is they only have one kitten left and it is a male, my mom doesn't
really like males since she thinks most spray, since in the past we have had
ones that sprayed and everyone my mom has known had males cat's that have
sprayed, while none of the females have. I personally could care less which
sex the kitten is. My mom also wants a lovable kitten, I have heard that
males are supposed to be more lovable then females. I know my mother is
picky, but that's just the way she is, she annoys me with her pickiness but
that's just her.

So basically I was wondering what are the odds that a male cat would spray?
I don't think they would spray that much if the litter box was clean and if
he did spray he would get checked by a vet and the accident would be cleaned
up with an enzyme remove (none of the people we know with male cats that
spray have used one to clean up the accident, just normal soap and water, or
febreeze maybe). Also are males more lovable?

thanks

Old July 25th 03, 01:06 PM
Arjun Ray

In , wombn
wrote:
| On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:54:48 +0200, "Niels Peter"
| wrote:

| A fixed male doesn't spray.

| Does it depend on when the male is neutered?

To some extent. Males neutered before puberty are very unlikely ever to
develop the behavior.

| My brother's male cat was neutered late in life. Now he sprays only
| when he smells another male cat somewhere. Like one time when a male
| cat was staying with them over a weekend.

Two of my cats were full grown stray toms before our paths crossed. One
was about 3 years old when I got him fixed, the other about 2, and there
was enough circumstantial evidence that both of them sprayed. But since
then, neither of them have sprayed even once in my apartment - and that
despite the fact that for quite a while they didn't even particularly
like each other.

Spraying by neutered males is more than anything else a sign of anxiety
(there is no sex drive, and hopefully there is no doubt about a secure
food source). De-stressing the situation will take care of the problem.

(For instance, with the male cat guest, confining him rather than giving
him free run of the house, and/or using a Feliway diffuser to spread
"peaceful" pheromones.)
Old July 25th 03, 01:06 PM
Arjun Ray

Old July 25th 03, 01:29 PM
MaryL

"Laura" wrote in message
hi
I presently have 2 female fixed cats and 1 8-10 week old female kitten

whom
i rescused from a lady with at least 35 other cats and kittens. My mother
wanted a part persian or hym but she felt so sorry for the kitten we have
that she got her, and we are all happy for her. Well now she still wants
her part persian or hym kitten, or purebred, as long as it looks like a
persian or hym she doesn't really care.

The solution in this case can be easy because your mother only wants a cat
that "looks" like a persian or hym -- that is, you will often find beautiful
persian or hmy-types at animal shelters or through rescue groups. You could
start by looking through www.petfinder.com (and enter your zip code, type of
cat to search for, and possibly click on "pic preview" to get a small
picture of each cat -- which can be enlarged by clicking on the picture).

So basically I was wondering what are the odds that a male cat would

spray?

This is not likely to be a problem if the cat is spayed at an early age. On
a related note: there are more "litter box accidents" from cats (of either
gender) that have been declawed.

Old July 25th 03, 01:31 PM
blkcatgal

Tell that to my cat. He didn't start spraying until he was 1 1/2 years old
and he was fixed when he was 6 months old.
I've read that 10% of neutered male cats will spray. I think it's pretty
good odds that a neutered male cat will not spray even though my cat is in
that 10%.

Sue

"Niels Peter" wrote in message
k...
Laura wrote:

So basically I was wondering what are the odds that a male cat would
spray?

A fixed male doesn't spray.

Niels Peter

Old July 25th 03, 01:47 PM
Sherry

The kitten may be cheaper now, but considering it is from a backyard
breeder there are any number of health problems that could or have
already cropped up and could cost you a fortune. I would be very wary of
this and recommend you not buy this kitten. Please take your mom to your
local shelters. There are zillions of kittens to choose from and
zillions more being killed to make room for the new arrivals. I have no
doubt that your mother will find one that she likes and as an added
bonus she will be literally saving a life.

Megan

I hate to keep ragging on people who buy kittens, but I just feel real
convicted about this, and Megan is really right. I just wanted to add, that if
the person who placed the ad in the paper wants you to meet them in a
predetermined place to look at the kitten (parking lot, etc.) and doesn't
suggest you come over and actually see the conditions the kittens are raised
in, run away, don't walk. It's a kitten mill.

Sherry

Old July 25th 03, 01:59 PM
L. Kelly

"Laura" wrote in message
| hi
|
| So basically I was wondering what are the odds that a male cat would spray?
| I don't think they would spray that much if the litter box was clean and if
| he did spray he would get checked by a vet and the accident would be cleaned
| up with an enzyme remove (none of the people we know with male cats that
| spray have used one to clean up the accident, just normal soap and water, or
| febreeze maybe). Also are males more lovable?
|
| thanks

Generally speaking, males tend to be more cuddly and lovable, but if raised from
kittenhood, any cat can be. I had a female cat who turned herself into a necklace every
time she got near me. I now have a male that does the same thing. It has a lot to do with
their handling, however, some cats never do become cuddly love bugs. It's more in their
genes and personalities.

As to the spraying, if the kitten is neutered before this behaviour begins, the chances
are very good that he never will spray. It is not a guarantee that it won't occur...just
a precaution.
--
Hugs,
Lynn