Spaying Question for Owners Who Spayed Their Female

Old December 17th 04, 07:12 PM
John Ross Mc Master

Default Spaying Question for Owners Who Spayed Their Female

What I'm wondering is, how does the cat's behaviour change afterwards?
Are there weight gains/losses? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. My
female Cinder is due to be spayed in March and i want to know what to
expect.
Old December 17th 04, 07:28 PM
MaryL

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
What I'm wondering is, how does the cat's behaviour change afterwards?
Are there weight gains/losses? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. My
female Cinder is due to be spayed in March and i want to know what to
expect.

I have never seen any effect at all. I have read that some cats seem more
quiet, and it is important to monitor for possible weight gain; but that has
not been a problems with mine (either male or female). My cats'
personalities remained unchanged. On the definite "plus" side, there is a
true health benefit. In addition to *not* contributing to the cat
overpopulation (and resulting euthanasia), female cats that have been spayed
are far less likely to develop mammary cancer and certain forms of tumors.
My cats are indoor-only. If yours is not, Cinder will also be less inclined
to roam. There are also uncomfortable mood cycles (and extremely lowd
"yowling") if a female cat goes into heat. So, you're doing the right
thing!

MaryL
Holiday safety tips for cats:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/holidaysafety/

Old December 17th 04, 08:11 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-17, John Ross Mc Master penned:
What I'm wondering is, how does the cat's behaviour change afterwards? Are
there weight gains/losses? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. My female
Cinder is due to be spayed in March and i want to know what to expect.

I didn't notice any changes, other than the few days she was recovering from
surgery. Of course, she was still a kitten, and cat personalities do tend to
change anyway as they grow up.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 17th 04, 08:24 PM
Ashley

"Sherry " wrote in message
Oh, yes, I forgot about the "cow belly" when I posted my earlier message.
did have one cat that developed that. However, there were no behavioral
changes, and they did not gain weight.

MaryL

My daughter's male cat has a cow belly, too. :-)

As does one of my neutered males. I have read that this is actually genetic
and nothing to do with spaying/abdominal surgery or anything like that (as
Cassius shows). It's also not a sign of being overweight, just the way that
cat is.

Old December 17th 04, 08:36 PM
Orchid

On 17 Dec 2004 20:08:27 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

Oh, yes, I forgot about the "cow belly" when I posted my earlier message. I
did have one cat that developed that. However, there were no behavioral
changes, and they did not gain weight.

MaryL

My daughter's male cat has a cow belly, too. :-)

It's called a primordial pouch, or sometimes, a 'spay sway'.
Primordial pouches exist to give the cats extra protection in that
area (cat fights involve a lot of savage kicking with the hind legs at
about that area) and to allow a longer leg extension when jumping. A
primordial pouch is just a flap of empty extra skin between the hind
leg and the torso.
'Spay sways' come from the weight that altered cats put on
because their metabolisms slow down. Add that slowdown to the American
tendancy to overfeed our pets, and you get a primordial pouch that is
filled with fat that shouldn't be there, aka a 'spay sway'.
Not all cats have primordial pouches -- many do, but the gene
for it doesn't express in some. My personal guess is that the closer a
cat is to feral ancestry (where the pouch is a very useful thing to
have) the most likely they are to have them. The exception to that is
Bengals and Savannahs, where the infusion of wild genes is via an ALC
or a Serval and where the pouch is a desired trait (to increase the
wild look). Both my Bengal boys have full primordial pouches with
extra skin runnning from under their forelegs back to their hind. You
can see it very clearly when they're stretched out, but they aren't
fat at all.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! --
http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old December 17th 04, 09:20 PM

One cat got spayed at 6 months. No noticeable difference at all - she's
still a fireball and no pouch either. She never went into heat at all.
The 2nd cat wasn't known to me until after she was spayed. She's pretty
trim at not quite 11 lbs at almost three years old, but does have a
slightly skoochy belly :