Bonnie's right front foot

Old August 7th 13, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Default Bonnie's right front foot

A few weeks back we noticed when Bonnie sits down she often lifts her right foot off the ground- it doesn't seem to be causing any pain and certainly doesn't limit her movement when the food bowl is being filled! We thought it was just a dainty decorous gesture possibly the feline version of cocking the little finger when drinking tea. Although from time to time when she starts moving the leg looks a little wobbly for a couple of steps although that could be because she's had it in the air but by the third stride she's up to speed. Vet has never mentioned it. I noticed this morning when she rolled over for a tummy tickle she has two carpal pads on that paw both smaller than normal almost like the pad at some point before she was born split in half- they don't have claws and it doesn't seem to cause her a problem- any idea whether this needs further looking at or is she polydactyl on that foot?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 7th 13, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Wednesday, 7 August 2013 21:18:37 UTC+1, Lesley wrote: A few weeks back we noticed when Bonnie sits down she often lifts her right foot off the ground- it doesn't seem to be causing any pain and certainly doesn't limit her movement when the food bowl is being filled! We thought it was just a dainty decorous gesture possibly the feline version of cocking the little finger when drinking tea. Although from time to time when she starts moving the leg looks a little wobbly for a couple of steps although that could be because she's had it in the air but by the third stride she's up to speed. Vet has never mentioned it. I noticed this morning when she rolled over for a tummy tickle she has two carpal pads on that paw both smaller than normal almost like the pad at some point before she was born split in half- they don't have claws and it doesn't seem to cause her a problem- any idea whether this needs further looking at or is she polydactyl on that foot? Lesley Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 7th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On closer inspection she has 4 tiny carpal pads the last one containing a small claw looks like she might have a small degree of ulnar duplication on that foot (Dave has bilateral ulnar absence which is why I know this stuff maybe she's just trying to balance the ulnars in this house) It ain't causing her any discomfort and since our vet has seen her 3 times and not said anything I guess it isn't serious. She's currently curled up next to me after an attack of the zoomies and a good wash so I think I'll just keep an eye on it

Old August 8th 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Lesley wrote:
[...]

My Cendrillon (who was declawed before I got her) tends to be somewhat
careful with her front paws from time to time, too - I've just assumed
it was a byproduct of the surgery, since it doesn't seem to slow her
down any from things she wants to do.
Old August 8th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
On closer inspection she has 4 tiny carpal pads the last one containing a
small claw looks like she might have a small degree of ulnar duplication on
that foot (Dave has bilateral ulnar absence which is why I know this stuff
maybe she's just trying to balance the ulnars in this house) It ain't
causing her any discomfort and since our vet has seen her 3 times and not
said anything I guess it isn't serious. She's currently curled up next to
me after an attack of the zoomies and a good wash so I think I'll just keep
an eye on it

Lesley

---------

As it seems she's favouring that foot a little bit (and she has a tiny claw
on her pad) I'd probably give the vet a ring to ask if the claw needs to be
removed. The vet probably hasn't noticed it, and why would she if she
hasn't looked at her feet in detail? Maybe that tiny little claw pricks her
a bit.

I leave it entirely up to you but if Boyfie had the same thing, that's what
I would do.

Tweed

Old August 9th 13, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

I called our vet and she said after a look at her notes- she had noticed it but it's fairly common (Bonnie's a bit narked at having something "common" she is a lady after all)and as long as we make sure the small nail doesn't grow back into the pad it won't give her any problems but as she knows we clip nails (its quite possible I have clipped it anyway- when you are dealing with a wriggling cat and nail clippers you don't stop to count) she doesn't think it'll ever be a problem

Old August 9th 13, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/8/2013 2:42 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Lesley
wrote:
[...]

I think I would mention it to the vet as she is favouring it, just to see
if they think it may be a bit uncomfortable for her at times. I wouldn't
panic though, but a quick check in case might be wise.

Judith

Persia does this sort of thing, too. She doesn't seem to have extra
toe-pads but as she gets older she sometimes seems to favour one front
paw over the other. It doesn't stop her from doing regular cat things,
like jumping up on the couch. It certainly doesn't stop her from
tapping my nose.

But yes, she sometimes acts as if one paw is uncomfortable. She tucks
that one closer to her chest. I'm pretty sure it's because she was
declawed. Her getting older is also a factor. I'll mention it to the
vet when she has her checkup later in the month. I'm not sure there is
much they can do about it, though.

Jill
Old August 9th 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Friday, 9 August 2013 17:51:01 UTC+1, Judith Latham wrote:
.. I'm sure that the next time she visits the said vet, Bonnie will make that vet feel the so called "common" paw.

Nope Bonnie has standards- she might make a few indignant squawks at being shoved in the carrier but a lady like her maintains standards so she is reasonably well behaved at the vets apart from us having to more or less turn the carrier upside down to get her out 'cos she goes all shy but she's generally well behaved although the butt thermometer as an affront to her dignity her look when it goes in says "HELP! I am being violated!For shame!"

Sarsi on the other hand...................

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Cat has a foot fettish ??? :) J&T Cat health & behaviour 9 April 8th 07 07:28 AM
10 foot radius Bridget Cat anecdotes 8 September 18th 05 07:16 PM
Problem With Cat Foot JINGLES Cat health & behaviour 8 September 3rd 05 12:09 AM
Bonnie, the Foot Fetish Feline Sherry Cat anecdotes 36 October 30th 04 10:05 PM
Bonnie - Foot Dance Bev Cat anecdotes 5 January 10th 04 04:54 AM