OT Rant: Yet another Complaint about Where I Live

Old August 5th 13, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default OT Rant: Yet another Complaint about Where I Live

jmcquown wrote:

Yes, it's silly but they have their stupid rules. It makes them feel
important. I knock them down a peg every chance I get. My parents
didn't raise a docile, complacent woman who doesn't raise her voice.

When my mom first asked me to come help with my dad in December 2007,
the automatic garage door was broken. When I arrived Mom was so upset.
"I can't close the garage door! The association won't like it!" I
manually pulled the garage door down and called a repairman.

And then I got angry. What did she think they could do to her for not
closing the door? Nice going, idiots! Upsetting a [then] 81 year old
woman with an ill husband over something that stupid.

When I'm feeling particularly irked, when paying the monthly dues I
write in the FOR/memo line on the check "Dachau". I doubt they
understand the irony. I won't keep my mouth shut.

Jill

I hope you attend every single HOA meeting, and voice your opinions
loudly! Until I moved to Arizona, I assumed Home-Owners' Associations
were limited to condo complexes (where there are common areas, such as
shared roofs and swimming pools, which involve joint maintenance
issues). I had no idea they could interfere with what a homeowner does
on his/her own property when the buildings are free-standing on separate
lots! If I wanted a storage shed in my backyard, or to plant (or cut
down) trees or shrubs, it should be no one's business but my own - to
allow an HOA to dictate such things is ridiculous. (And I certainly
would not consider golf-courses with related club-houses and restaurants
as "common areas"!)
Old August 5th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

m...

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I live in a condo, too. Attached homes. When we wanted to put up a screen
door, or change some bushes, we had to ask permission (which we received
immediately). When we needed repairs to our driveway, a telephone call took
care of it. We do have a good association manager. When my son put an a/c
unit in his window, I got a phone call gently reminding me that window units
are not permitted. OTOH, what I do inside is none of their business.

BUT... it's all worth it when we get snow and I don't have to go out and
shovel it.

Jay

Old August 8th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:30:46 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

om...

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

They have their good and bad sides. In my regular old neighborhood
people can do what they want with their homes and some are in great
shape while others could use work. I'm likely to retire in a few years
and my mother would love for me to live in her complex in Florida
where they do have an association that runs the place. They maintain
the grounds and common areas and the outside of the houses.

It doesn't seem overly pushy, although one person I know did get
warned for always leaving the garage door open. He did it for spite I
think. But it really does look bad to have the garage open all the
time. Even clean garages are still messy.

I have to check the rules pretty closely before I would buy a home
there, but the tennis courts are great and membership for that is very
cheap. And I would never have to shovel snow again.

But will I find some way to let the cats roam a bit? Right now I have
a little fenced in yard, but there I don't know. My mom's neighbor
lets his two cats roam around the block and there has never been an
issue. Probably against the rules though.

Old August 9th 13, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/5/2013 4:30 PM, JJ wrote:
m...

jmcquown wrote:

When my mom first asked me to come help with my dad in December 2007, the
automatic garage door was broken. When I arrived Mom was so upset. "I
can't close the garage door! The association won't like it!" I manually
pulled the garage door down and called a repairman.

And then I got angry. What did she think they could do to her for not
closing the door? Nice going, idiots! Upsetting a [then] 81 year old
woman with an ill husband over something that stupid.

Jill

I hope you attend every single HOA meeting, and voice your opinions
loudly!

I voice my opinion. But I can't keep up with the number of meetings
they have. There is more than one association controlling things (under
one big umbrella). They have meetings all the dang time.

At the meetings I've attended, residents are allowed 5 minutes before
the meeting starts to ask questions or raise concerns. No one may talk
for more than 1 minute. Well, that doesn't allow much time, does it?

I DO vote when they have issues which require (according to the
covenants) resident's input. I feel like I'm running against the wind.

Until I moved to Arizona, I assumed Home-Owners' Associations
were limited to condo complexes (where there are common areas, such as
shared roofs and swimming pools, which involve joint maintenance issues).
I had no idea they could interfere with what a homeowner does on his/her
own property when the buildings are free-standing on separate lots!

In South Carolina they certainly can... and Dataw is not the only
community of this type in the area.

wanted a storage shed in my backyard, or to plant (or cut down) trees or
shrubs, it should be no one's business but my own - to allow an HOA to
dictate such things is ridiculous.

I have a live oak tree in the front yard which is ruining the lawn. The
grass is being taken over by oak tree sprouts. I am not allowed to cut
the tree down. I have no idea why they deem "live oaks" to be a
precious commodity; they're not endangered. They're all over the darn
place! But I was told I can only have it removed if it is dead or an
arborist says it is diseased.

I live in a condo, too. Attached homes. When we wanted to put up a screen
door, or change some bushes, we had to ask permission (which we received
immediately). When we needed repairs to our driveway, a telephone call took
care of it. We do have a good association manager. When my son put an a/c
unit in his window, I got a phone call gently reminding me that window units
are not permitted. OTOH, what I do inside is none of their business.

BUT... it's all worth it when we get snow and I don't have to go out and
shovel it.

Jay

I don't have to shovel snow, either. It doesn't snow here. I *do*
have to maintain my own yard. The dues I pay don't include them doing
any sort of maintenance on my property.

Jill