another story supporting microchiping

Old April 18th 16, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

Default another story supporting microchiping

happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

Old April 20th 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:46:13 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
wrote:

happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.
Old April 20th 16, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.

That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.

Jill
Old April 22nd 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.

That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.

Jill

It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.

MaryL

Old April 24th 16, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.

That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.

Jill

It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.

MaryL

My old vet never scanned any of my cats, and the new one in Florida
didn't either.
Old April 24th 16, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.

That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.

Jill

It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.

MaryL

My old vet never scanned any of my cats, and the new one in Florida
didn't either.

My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
years ago because there were several different companies that
manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.

MaryL

Old April 24th 16, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The Beaufort County Animal Shelter includes microchipping in the
adoption fee.

Jill
Old April 24th 16, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, that practice is what I was trying explain in the last sentence of
my message. All of the animal shelters and rescue groups in this area
now include microchipping in the adoption fee (and those fees do not
even begin to cover the actual cost that these organizations spend in
their efforts to care for and find homes for our four-legged friends).

MaryL

Old April 24th 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/24/2016 10:06 AM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

I understood and was confirming what you said. The adoption fees at
The Cat House (Beaufort county built a separate location just for cats)
are very reasonable. Only $25 and that includes spay/neuter, a
microchip and (legally required) shots. Those services are not cheap.
Bless the people who provide them at a low cost. Their only goal is to
find homes for these pets.

Jill
Old April 24th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 4/24/2016 10:29 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

That really is remarkably inexpensive. Our local shelters and rescue
organizations charge $75.00 for one cat or $125.00 for two cats Even
that is very reasonable and does not nearly cover the actual cost of
their services. When I adopted Duffy, he was only $25.00 because he had
been previously adopted and "paid" for neutering. I have often told
people that his $25.00 was the best investment I ever made. He was not
microchipped because that was not routine at the time he came into my
life. Wonderful little guy!!!

MaryL

Supporting Sammy the post office cat MaryL Cat anecdotes 72 January 18th 09 12:59 PM
Supporting Sammy the post office cat MaryL Cat health & behaviour 43 January 17th 09 12:48 AM
Sad story (TW) Lesley Cat anecdotes 11 December 15th 07 10:22 PM
About h0p - The End of The Story Dee Cats - misc 15 August 15th 05 02:49 AM
RB Kitty story invite (Rocky's Story" reposted - Longish) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 15th 05 07:14 AM