eosinophilic granuloma complex, heat and me venting

Old November 18th 03, 07:09 PM
Mary

Lauralai,

My cat was diagnoses with this a bit over a month ago when I took her
in for her regular depo medrol shot for her asthma. I had noticed tiny
bumps on the back of her legs, and she had two very small "pimple"
like things on her nose, under her fur.

The vet said many cats with allergies have this syndrome (eosinophilic
granuloma Complex) and that it is not in the least life threatening.

Here is what to expect if your cat's experience is like my
cat's--three days after the shot of depo medrol the tiny bumps on her
nose totally disappeared and the ones on the back of her legs shrank
down to almost nothing. I take her in for the shots about four times a
year and they cost about $30 each time.

If the sores in your kittie's mouth are far along, I understand that
the vet may have to give her some antibiotics just to speed healing.
And, the vet has to make sure the mouth lesions are not pre-cancerous.

But once you have her on regular Depo Medrol shots the lesions should
not appear. You will have to be careful to make sure she doesn't get
fat, and that you take her for the shots as seldom as possible,
because long-term use of steroids like Depo Medrol have side effects
that include Diabetes. (Fat cats, like fat people, are prone to get
Diabetes, so if she is getting the shots AND is fat she would be of
double risk.)

Remember that your baby is very lucky to have you to care for her, and
that she will be just fine! But had she remained a stray she would
have had infected sores and all sorts of problems.

"Lauralai" wrote in message
hi
here's the back ground. in july i got a kitten from a house with at

least
30 other cats. she was fairly thin when we got her but she put on

weight
and was healthy. then i took her to get fixed and was informed that

she had
an infection in her mouth and they put her on clavamox 2 times daily

for 10
days and tested for viral infections which came back negative. on s

aturday
i brought her back to the vet for a check up and the vet said she

had really
bad gingiviti so i asked what could be done for that and they ran

blood
tests on the kedneys, liver. well today i phoned the vet and they

said she
had some complex thing, i'm not sure the name but the white blood

cell count
was high and that something else was high it think it started with

an eth
or something like that, i may be wrong anyway what they think she

has is
normally seen in cat's skin not there mouth's. they said when they

spay
here they would want to do a biopsy on her mouth, i think send a

sample to a
patholigist and then grow the bacteria or do a swab or something i

wasn't
really sure since i was starting to cry. i know this is fairly

vague but i
was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be called, i'd

call the
vet again but i'm crying to much since my parent think i should put

her down
since it's going to cost another 400 to fix her and then treatment.

refuse to put her down though since i have a job, and sure i will

only be
able to do a bit at a time i can still treat her. i had to put a

cat down 3
years ago because i couldn't afford treatment and i will NOT do that

again.
she's the best cat ever and i wouldn't even had known she was sick

if it
weren't for the blood tests.

also i was wondering if it is really that bad if she goes into one

heat? i
mean she is probably ready to go at anytime now but i don't get paid

for
another 2 weeks and that's when i can afford to have all the other

stuff
done.
so if anyone can give info that would be great, if not then i'll

phone the
vet tomorrow and research, research, research.

i posted on the vet fourm and someone suggested it may be

eosinophilic
granuloma complex and i think that's what she has. So i was

wondering if
anyone had a cat with it and if so what tests did you run to see if

they
acctually had it if any. i would like to do the tests but my

parents don't
want me to spend 1000 on tests, hey they don't want me to spend 400

on
tests. they acctually had the nerve to phone the vet tonight to see

what
exactly she has and what the prognosis is and all of that, even

though i
have stated that i am not putting her down. and they have stated

that they
don't want me spending much money on her if she's sick, my mom

didn't even
really want me to do the blood work. i mean she's acting normal and

she's
so young, you wouldn't even know anything was wrong with a her. in

fact the
vet didn't really suggest blood tests until i asked if there was

something
that we could do to make sure she was ok for the spay.

Old November 18th 03, 10:17 PM
Alison

Hi ,
My cat gets eosinophilic granuloma sometimes on her bottom lip.(pout
trout) She allergic to fleas and also flea treatment. It doesnt happen
very often and clears up after a Duph Q injection . If it happened
more often or didn't clear up the vet would do a biopsy.

--
Alison

Links to animal information websites
http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks/

Old November 19th 03, 04:13 AM
Laura

i'm pretty sure that is what it is, complex. apparently it will cost 300 or
so for test on top of the spay and then medication after that, to see how
sevre it is, doesn't seem that sevre to me but i'm not a vet. i mean
apparently it was fairly bad with puss and blood in her mouth when she went
to get spayed the first time and she was on clavamox for 10 days so that
cleared it up some. she's booked for her spay next friday. my step dad
asked about payments also and they will only accept them if you have a valid
credit card so that if you don't pay they can charge it, which i don't have
and no one that i know of will let me use them other than my sis and she's 3
hours away at school, if she were home she would let me use them though.
"Lauralai" wrote in message
[...]

since it's going to cost another 400 to fix her and then treatment. i