The house across the way...

Old May 29th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The house across the way...

I believe I've mentioned the rental house across the street from me a couple
of times (the last time earlier this year when the tree in their front yard
fell on it)

Just this morning, while out watering our flower beds at the ungodly hour of
7am (on a holiday, even!), I noticed a realtor's sign in their front yard
(like a weed, it must have sprouted overnight).

I searched and searched, and finally found the listing for the house (but no
picture)

http://www.homefinder.org/buy/buy-de...&sCRecord=3 8

They have a *bunch* of things funky in this listing:

* it may have "been in the family since it was built", but they don't state
that it was a *rental* and that the owning family hasn't *lived* in it since
it was built (in 1940)!

* they list a 'new roof'... heh. It's not new! They just repaired the tree
damage and replaced the shingles!

* new carpet... probably because the past 3 tenants all had d-pets, and the
last tenants had at least one *puppy*, so the carpet probably had some
poo/pee-stains

* exterior of the house painted... I don't recall them actually *painting*
the house (but then again, I'm not home 100% of the time, either), but I do
know that they power washed it. It also lists the exterior as being vinyl -
and why paint vinyl????? Maybe they just painted the eaves, and front porch
area....

While the house does have a nice fenced in back yard (wooden fencing, almost
a privacy type) and large deck out back, it sits on less than 1/2 an acre,
and they're asking $94,000?!?!?!?!?!?!

Our house, although older by 15 years, sits on a tad more than 3/4 an acre,
and we only paid $67,000! And we have a *garage*!!!!

Isn't the saying "truth in advertising"???

Apparently that doesn't apply to Realtors
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 29th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
I believe I've mentioned the rental house across the street from me a
couple
of times (the last time earlier this year when the tree in their
front yard
fell on it)

Just this morning, while out watering our flower beds at the ungodly
hour of 7am (on a holiday, even!), I noticed a realtor's sign in
their front yard (like a weed, it must have sprouted overnight).

I searched and searched, and finally found the listing for the house
(but no picture)

http://www.homefinder.org/buy/buy-de...&sCRecord=3 8

I've been having fun doing searches for townhouses since Dad said he wants
to buy one for me. You can't believe half of what you read, that's for
sure!

Jill

Old May 29th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
[...]

When we listed our house in the city, and read the newspaper ad, we
hardly recognized it. "Curb appeal! Park-like setting!" (translation:
We were the only people on the block who actually mowed and used a
weed-eater.)
I like the ones that say "Handyman's Dream!" (translation: the house is
falling down). Or, "Doll house!" (translation: It's probably 700 square
feet)

Sherry

Old May 29th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-29, Magic Mood Jeep© penned:

Isn't the saying "truth in advertising"???

Apparently that doesn't apply to Realtors

I don't think it does. I love our current house, but when our realtor
first showed it to us, I walked right out. Why? They'd advertised as
having a certain size unfinished basement. When I saw that it was
much smaller than advertised (ie, half the basement is a 4 foot
retaining wall with dirt, completely unusable except as storage), I
was so disappointed I left.

They also advertised a "redwood deck," by which they meant "it's
painted red, and it's wood." Not a big deal, but man do I hate it
when people lie.

Anyway, we ended up in that house only because later on, our offer on
another property in the area was rejected, so we were driving around
in the neighborhood and I saw this neat house. DH swore up and down
that we'd already looked at it, but I didn't recognize it, so we
checked it out again. Got to know the owners, who showed us all sorts
of stuff that the realtor hadn't bothered to mention that was much
more important to me than "redwood deck" (ie, the whole house was
wired with cat5). After walking around with the owners, it was clear
how much work they'd put into the house, and they had clearly taken
good care of it. That sounded like a big plus to me.

I'm pretty sure their realtor was either sleazy or dumb as a post or
both. He did so many flakey things during the course of the purchase.
Luckily our realtor was sharp enough for both of them.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 29th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hmmm. Where I live, a 3 bed house (and we are talking just enough room for
the bed, not American sized rooms) sells for about £250,000 or over
$400,000. Small plot too, with a small garden,not even 20ft x 20ft.
A 1 bed flat over garage is at least £120,000 or $200,000 and not enough
room to swing a cat (just a saying we have here!)

Our petrol is about £1 a litre too!

Sandra

Old May 29th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I don't remember where you are but housing prices have been doing gymnastics
for the last couple of years.

I checked out one a few blocks from here while I was walking Kayla
yesterday. On 1/3 acre, Built 1984. 1800 sq ft. $350,000.

Nice house but nothing special either.

We are a 45 minute commute from Sacramento.

Jo

"Magic Mood Jeep)" wrote in message
[...]

former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too))

Old May 29th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

sandra wrote:
Hmmm. Where I live, a 3 bed house (and we are talking just enough
room for the bed, not American sized rooms) sells for about £250,000
or over $400,000. Small plot too, with a small garden,not even 20ft x
20ft.
A 1 bed flat over garage is at least £120,000 or $200,000 and not
enough room to swing a cat (just a saying we have here!)

Our petrol is about £1 a litre too!

Sandra

For the Merkins, that means our gas is $7 per gallon.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-29, sandra penned:
Hmmm. Where I live, a 3 bed house (and we are talking just enough
room for the bed, not American sized rooms) sells for about £250,000
or over $400,000. Small plot too, with a small garden,not even 20ft
x 20ft. A 1 bed flat over garage is at least £120,000 or $200,000
and not enough room to swing a cat (just a saying we have here!)

Our petrol is about £1 a litre too!

House prices in the US vary widely. Really widely. I have friends in
Boulder who have a condo with a tiny yard and no AC for the same price
as we have (about 20 miles away) for a huge house with three car
garage, A/C, decent yard, etc. Prices in Boulder are insane.

And my brother living in Maryland, near DC, spent twice as much as we
did for a similar sized house, but much older with much more work
needing to be done.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 29th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Magic Mood Jeep?" wrote:

While the house does have a nice fenced in back yard (wooden fencing,
almost a privacy type) and large deck out back, it sits on less than
1/2 an acre, and they're asking $94,000?!?!?!?!?!?!

WOW - $94K sounds like a fantasy to me! You couldn't get a one-room
condo on crack street for that price around here.

Our house, although older by 15 years, sits on a tad more than 3/4
an acre, and we only paid $67,000! And we have a *garage*!!!!

Where do you live??

Joyce
Old May 29th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
I don't remember where you are but housing prices have been doing gymnastics
for the last couple of years.

I checked out one a few blocks from here while I was walking Kayla
yesterday. On 1/3 acre, Built 1984. 1800 sq ft. $350,000.

Nice house but nothing special either.

We are a 45 minute commute from Sacramento.

Jo

Oh my. If I moved to CA., I'd have to live in my car. :-)

Sherry