Flea treatment question

Old June 28th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Flea treatment question

Nancy works with a lady who lives with a couple kitties. This coworker
would like to take in a stray that has been hanging around her house, but
said stray is pregnant and flea-ridden. Her existing cats are highly
allergic to fleas.

She doesn't want to give the stray a flea-dip for fear of harming the
unborn kittens. What are your recommendations for highly effective flea
treatments that wouldn't be harmful to the kittens?

We've been very fortunate that our kitties don't pick up many fleas, so
we've never had to worry about this. Would a Frontline application on the
stray handle the problem ok?

Old June 28th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:06:59 +0000, Matthew wrote:

NO FRONTLINE

I believe that advantage is ok for them but I need to ask my vet first

Thanks! I wasn't aware that Frontline was a nono. I've passed that along.
Old June 28th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
She doesn't want to give the stray a flea-dip for fear of harming the
unborn kittens. What are your recommendations for highly effective flea
treatments that wouldn't be harmful to the kittens?

Revolution.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 28th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:
When the shelter was open we lost a few cats to a what we guess as a
allergic reaction to it ever since than I refuse to use it or recommend
it

Are you sure it was Frontline? I did a lot of research on flea & tick
products a couple of years ago when the EPA removed specific products
from the shelves. I have never, ever, read any documented cases where
cats died from Frontline. The only side effects reported were temporary
mild respiratory distress, itching/burning/irritation at the
application site. How old were the cats? How many cats are you talking
about? How did they die?

I don't use it because I did have a cat have a mild reaction, but
nothing near life-threatening. They've never reacted to Advantage.

Sherry

Old June 28th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:
NO FRONTLINE

I believe that advantage is ok for them but I need to ask my vet first

What's the problem with Frontline? I've seen vets on television using
Frontline spray on very young kittens.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 28th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Joy" wrote in message
y.net...
What's the problem with Frontline? Is it just bad for kittens? I've been
using it on my cats for years, and have had no problems.

Joy

I used Frontline on my cats *just once.* Holly didn't like it but just
shook her head and looked annoyed, but Duffy went absolutely *berserk.* He
shot straight up in the air and began to run madly around the room. He kept
running into walls and furniiture (most of you already know he is blind),
and I was really afraid he was going to hurt himself. He was going so fast
that he hit his head several times before I could catch him. I was really
frightened at his reaction. That was the *first* and *last* time I used
Frontline. I seldom need anything, but now I only use Advantage if it is
needed. Neither cat shows any reaction at all to Advantage, and it is
effective.

MaryL

Old June 28th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew wrote:
When the shelter was open we lost a few cats to a what we guess as a
allergic reaction to it ever since than I refuse to use it or
recommend
it

Are you sure it was Frontline? I did a lot of research on flea & tick
products a couple of years ago when the EPA removed specific products
from the shelves. I have never, ever, read any documented cases where
cats died from Frontline. The only side effects reported were temporary
mild respiratory distress, itching/burning/irritation at the
application site. How old were the cats? How many cats are you talking
about? How did they die?

I don't use it because I did have a cat have a mild reaction, but
nothing near life-threatening. They've never reacted to Advantage.

Sherry

This was about 5 to 6 years ago there were 3 cats from a year to about 5
or 6 years old this was at different times during the year cats were never
exposed to one another each were passed away before the came in they were
not in the same are holding area. All showed respiratory distress after
application and the vets were unable to counter act the problems. Ever
since than we do not use it or will use it we stick to advantage. It
might have been one of their products they have pulled since than but IMO
I will never use Frontline again even my vet won't use it I trust him
completely. It is something that might have been other factors I am not a
vet but it was to uncanny for us and we stopped using it well they did.

The shelter closed do to political bull**** in the last couple weeks so it
is advantage for me and my furballs and that is all I will recommend