Swiffer Wetjet Rumor is False

Old May 10th 04, 04:15 PM
Yngver

Phil P." wrote:

"Howdy" wrote in message
. com...
Dr. Lee -

I confirmed with the ASPCA and they have a statement on their site.
THe rumor is false. I trust the ASPCA when it comes to my pets.

The Swifter Wetjet solution contains propylene glycol (PG). PG causes Heinz
bodies in cats. Heinz bodies result in red blood cell destruction and
hemolytic anemia in cats.

Cats have oxidant-sensitive hemoglobin. Their hemoglobin is highly unstable
and subject to oxidation by chemicals that aren't deleterious to other
species' RBCs.

See: Am J Vet Res (American Journal of Veterinary Research) 1992
Jan;53(1):69-72. "Hematologic alterations in adult cats fed 6 or 12%
propylene glycol" more information.

Phil

This is the news release from the ASPCA:
My Interests | All
Interests: ASPCA News Articles -- Return to Top --
ASPCA News Articles
Add to My Interests

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Responds to Swiffer Wet Jet Rumor
Friday May 7, 2004

Veterinary Toxicologists regard allegations of liver failure and death from
household cleaner as unfounded.

Media Contact: Ruth Goldstein
(212) 876-7700 ext. 4661

Dana Farbman, CVT
(217)-337-5030 ext. 751

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Urbana, IL) May 6, 2004 -- Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA Animal Poison
Control Center have reviewed the claim described in a widely distributed email
alleging a relationship between the use of Swiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in
a dog. The email alleges that exposure to the ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet
caused a dog's death.

The Swiffer Wet Jet system contains water (90-100%), propylene glycol n-propyl
ether or propylene glycol n-butyl ether and isopropyl alcohol (1-4%). These
ingredients are safe to use around pets when used according to label directions
and would not cause liver damage at product concentrations. Propylene glycol
n-butyl/propyl ether differs significantly from ethylene glycol, the
potentially toxic ingredient present in most antifreeze products. Ethylene
glycol is frequently implicated in causing renal failure in dogs following
antifreeze ingestion. Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol
n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products and
do not cause kidney or liver failure.

The ASPCA will continue to monitor this situation and will post any additional
information as it becomes available. Please call 1-888-426-4435 if you have
any questions or have a pet that you suspect is experiencing problems, or visit
us at
www.apcc.aspca.org.
*****************************

Are you disagreeing with their veterinary toxicologists here?

Also, I question whether cats exposed to normal household use of Swiffer
products are going to come anywhere near a fraction of the level of 6-12
percent propylene glycol (and was it actually propylene glycol n-propyl ether
or propylene glycol n-butyl?) the cats in this study ingested.

Old May 11th 04, 04:35 PM
Yngver

"Yngver" wrote in message
Phil P." wrote:

n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning

products and
do not cause kidney or liver failure.

Are you disagreeing with their veterinary toxicologists here?

No... I agree PG doesn't cause liver or kidney failure in cats (lthough
hypoxia caused by anemia could damage any organ). PG causes Heinz bodies on
feline hemoglobin that can cause hemolytic anemia. Several peer-reviewed
studies confirm that fact. In 1992 the FDA banned the use of PG as a
humacant in semimoist cat foods.

Yes, the studies I have seen all relate to the feeding of cat foods containing
PG.

Also, I question whether cats exposed to normal household use of Swiffer
products are going to come anywhere near a fraction of the level of 6-12
percent propylene glycol

After the water component of the Swifter solution evaporates, the residue is
probably nearly 100% PG.

Maybe, but not according to the mfr. They say it doesn't leave a residue.

Cats are in direct contact with the floor for most
of their waking hours - some cats even sleep on the floor, too. Between
absorption through the paws and skin and ingestion through grooming their
contaminated coats, I think there's more than enough PG available to cause
concern.

That seems far-fetched to me--it seems quite a stretch to compare the amount of
PG a cat would ingest through eating it in a couple packets of semi-moist food
every day to the miniscule amount that *might* be absorbed through walking on a
floor.

Where my cats health is concerned, I tend to err on the side of caution -
especially when there's no benefit to the cat.

I understand. I don't even use Wetjet myself, but I do not believe there is
reason for someone who does to panic thinking they have unwittingly killed
their cat after reading a silly Internet hoax.