Marlo returns?

Old October 6th 16, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Marlo returns?

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 02:38:07 -0500, MaryL
wrote:

On 10/4/2016 8:09 PM, dgk wrote:
Not the way we were planning it, which was Mom keeping Marlo
indefinitely. But we have a big hurricane bearing down on us and,
while we don't think it will hit us directly, it's going to be bad.
Mom doesn't want to stay at her house alone, and I want to be in mine
since I have three cats to keep an eye on, so it looks like Mom and
Marlo will be moving in to my house for at least the day of the storm.

Good luck with everything. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope
everything goes well. It's a good idea to keep Marlo in a separate
room, and it sounds as if you are well prepared. Be sure to keep
flashlights close by so you can grab one in the dark, if needed. I was
without power twice from residual damage from hurricanes. It was
extremely hot, and I had some battery powered fans. They were a life
saver. Do you have anything like that available?

Please keep us updated, although I know from experience that you may
lose power.

MaryL

We tried (too late) to get some battery powered fans and finally
ordered them from Amazon but they were due to arrive today and so is
the hurricane so hopefully they'll come in the next day or two.
Old October 6th 16, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 19:41:10 -0700, The New Other Guy
wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 19:05:23 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

On 10/5/2016 4:20 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Best of luck! I'm in southern South Carolina. I've been watching the
Hurricane Matthew storm track. It's actually a pretty slow-moving
hurricane. Strong, but slow.

Isn't slow-moving a bad thing? Storms do a lot more damage when they
stop and hang out in an area for a while, than they would do if they just
kept moving by.

I dunno. I've lived here for years and never had to leave. Lots of the
neighbors packed up and left. I'm just sitting here looking at a whole
lot of nothing in terms of weather. It's not even raining but people
left in droves.

Unfortunately, THAT is likely to change tomorrow, and especially Friday.

This is a very dangerous storm, and will likely cause significant
damage.

We're about 30 miles south of West Palm Beach and it's supposed to be
worse up there. 30 miles doesn't sound like much but it seems to be
making the difference for us. We'll mostly get the wind from the north
which should slow it down as it goes overland, and certainly plenty of
rain but we're used to plenty of rain. They're saying 8-12 inches,
again that's a lot but it can rain 4" in an hour without a hurricane
and not be that unusual.

So we figure that Mom and Marlo will sit it out in their house and
I'll be with Scooter, Baby, and Nipsy. Likely no return of Marlo this
time around but we'll see as Matthew comes closer.

We are almost certainly going to be without power for a few days and
that will be annoying. It's supposed to be upper 80's and humid (it's
always humid).

So things will be bad but we'll likely all survive. I have lots of
canned food (mmm, Chef-Boy-Ar-dee ravioli!) which we can cook on the
grill. We all have electric stoves so those won't work.

Thanks for the good wishes. Let's see how it works out.
Old October 6th 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

We're about 30 miles south of West Palm Beach and it's supposed to be
worse up there. 30 miles doesn't sound like much but it seems to be
making the difference for us. We'll mostly get the wind from the north
which should slow it down as it goes overland, and certainly plenty of
rain but we're used to plenty of rain. They're saying 8-12 inches,
again that's a lot but it can rain 4" in an hour without a hurricane
and not be that unusual.

So we figure that Mom and Marlo will sit it out in their house and
I'll be with Scooter, Baby, and Nipsy. Likely no return of Marlo this
time around but we'll see as Matthew comes closer.

One thing to keep in mind is that forecasts aren't always accurate. I
remember a hurricane that was predicted to hit Boston really hard, back
in the 80s. I and my ex and the kitty holed up with all the supplies we
figured we'd need, as did everyone else in the area. But when the storm
hit, it wasn't much worse than a heavy rainstorm with stronger than usual
winds. It was a relief, but it also showed me that you can't believe
everything the weather service has to say.

OK, that was 30 years ago, and maybe their prediction methods have
improved. But if I were in your position, I'd go ahead with having your
mom and Marlo stay with you. If the storm ends up being as weak in your
area as they're saying it will be, they can just go back home afterward.
But if they're wrong, wouldn't you rather have them with you?

OK, end of unsolicited advice. Just my thoughts.

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. -- Gene Weingarten
Old October 7th 16, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 10/6/2016 2:28 PM, Bastette wrote:
dgk wrote:

[...]

My brother refers to weather forecasters as "weather guessers". Really,
that's all they are. They are making an educated guess, based on the
current situation and on what has happened in the past in similar
situations, but it is still a guess.
Old October 7th 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Hurricane Matthew (WAS: Marlo returns?)

dgk wrote:

[...]

At least hurricanes are somewhat (kinda sorta) predictible. We've got
all sorts of fear mongering going on where I live. Okay, it's a pretty
big storm. Likely to do a lot of damage (it already has in the Bahamas).

But there are also problems with people evacuating. No place to go, all
the hotels, motels to the north west are filled up. Traffic is backed
up for hours. Shelters? The storm isn't even on the US coast yet and
already it's created a logistical mishap about where people should go.

One couple who live on Dataw left yesterday and has a room at a La
Quinta Inn In Augusta tonight but need to find a different hotel
tomorrow. Being kicked out due to previous reservations. They're
thinking of driving towards Atlanta and asked if anyone knows of a pet
friendly motel. I sent them a link for pet friendly hotels in the
Atlanta area.

People are being turned away; accommodations are scarce. Folks are
leaving Florida now and are apparently calling ahead for reservations,
which adds to the mass evac confusion.

At this point I should point out hurricane season is great for the hotel
business. How ironic.

I'm just battening down the hatches and staying put with Buffy.
Evacuating sounds like hell on the highway.

Just got this cheerful encouragement from someone on Dataw:

"To those remaining. Make sure you can pull down the ladder to your
attic so IF THE STORM SURGE RUSHES IN, GO TO YOUR ATTIC!!!!! And take
drinking water with you!!" and:

"Put a large readable note inside a front window that you are inside!!
LEAVE a SIGN so WE CAN IDENTIFY YOUR BODY!"

Hey, gee, thanks for the encouragement.

Jill

More on Marlo dgk Cat anecdotes 11 July 23rd 16 12:10 PM
Off to the vet with Marlo dgk Cat anecdotes 9 June 3rd 10 12:11 PM
Marlo's drooling dgk Cat health & behaviour 24 November 24th 08 07:56 PM
Marlo does a cat-like thing dgk Cat health & behaviour 5 November 21st 07 09:30 PM
Marlo ESCAPES and is recaptured dgk Cat health & behaviour 10 August 17th 07 02:20 PM