lethargic depressed cat

Old August 27th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The High Council

Default lethargic depressed cat

My cat Ian is really really lethargic still and has been two days
since he came back from having his teeth cleaned and a couple
extracted from the vet. He seemed ok at first, eating as soon as he
was back and purring when petted etc,,,now he just lies very still -
occasionally wanders somewhere in the house - and then collapses with
his head on the floor looking depressed.

He is hardly touching his food now, and I am unable to give him the
anti-biotics because he won't eat.

Is this quite typical cat behaviour? Should I be worried?

Old August 27th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"The High Council" wrote in message
My cat Ian is really really lethargic still and has been two days
since he came back from having his teeth cleaned and a couple
extracted from the vet. He seemed ok at first, eating as soon as he
was back and purring when petted etc,,,now he just lies very still -
occasionally wanders somewhere in the house - and then collapses with
his head on the floor looking depressed.

He is hardly touching his food now, and I am unable to give him the
anti-biotics because he won't eat.

Is this quite typical cat behaviour? Should I be worried?

I think I would be, but then I have never gotten my cats' teeth
cleaned for this reason: fear of putting them under anesthesia.

Hope someone who has experience with this can help you, and
that Ian is back to his old self soon.

Old August 27th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Is this quite typical cat behaviour? Should I be worried?

No, this is not typical. Please call your vet ASAP and tell them
what's happening. I've had my cat's teeth cleaned and while they might
not be as perky as usual for a few days, they certainly ate food and
acted normally. A cat not eating presents another danger in itself--so
please have him looked at.

Rene

Old August 27th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alisont via CatKB.com

this is not normal. Tigger just had her teeth done last week and she was
woozy for a couple days but is back to normal now.

Old August 28th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
robxr4ti

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:39:55 GMT, The High Council
wrote:

My cat Ian is really really lethargic still and has been two days
since he came back from having his teeth cleaned and a couple
extracted from the vet. He seemed ok at first, eating as soon as he
was back and purring when petted etc,,,now he just lies very still -
occasionally wanders somewhere in the house - and then collapses with
his head on the floor looking depressed.

He is hardly touching his food now, and I am unable to give him the
anti-biotics because he won't eat.

Is this quite typical cat behaviour? Should I be worried?

When my kitties have had their teeth cleaned, they sometimes get
messed up for about a week: poor eating and stumbling when walking.
However, I do side with everyone else here who suggest contacting the
vet. When in doubt, check it out and please let us know how it's
going.

Good luck!

Old August 28th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

HC,

You need to get the antibiotics into him. He could have an infection.
Did the vet give you pills or liquid?

He probably needs to have his teeth checked again since he is so sick
and maybe be force-fed. The vet also needs to show you how to get the
antibiotics into him, because those can be a life-saver.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old August 28th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The High Council

Thanks everyone for your helpfull and kind posts.

I am taking Ian in to see the vet this afternoon.

I'll let you know what he says.

HC

Old August 28th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The High Council

Ok guys, I just took Ian in and I had to leave him with the vet.
Basically he says he has a bit of a distended tummy (fluid in there)
and he wants to do a scan to see if he can see what might be causing
it.

Now, we've had his blood work done last week and it showed no sign of
infection or kidney/liver problem etc. - the only reading was a high
platelet count.

I am starting to panic thinking it might be a tumour somewhere. If it
is, are they treatable (ie: can they be cut out etc) or am I going to
have to say goodbye to my beloved cat?

:-(

Old August 28th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Now, we've had his blood work done last week and it showed no sign of
infection or kidney/liver problem etc. - the only reading was a high
platelet count.

I am starting to panic thinking it might be a tumour somewhere. If it
is, are they treatable (ie: can they be cut out etc) or am I going to
have to say goodbye to my beloved cat?

I am so sorry! But don't jump to conclusions just yet. Let the vet do
the scan and see what he says. If it indeed is a tumor, some are
operable and some are not (just like with people). You did the right
thing in bringing him in right away. Take it step by step right now.