Stroke - OT

Old January 6th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Stroke - OT

A friend just sent me this. It's worth reading.

--
Joy

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an
empty desk? -- Jay Brand, cognitive psychologist

SIGNS OF A STROKE (WITH 1 NEW ADDITION)

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters...S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word.
I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some
folks..

Seriously.. Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured
everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and that she
had just tripped over a brick because of her new

shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she
appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the
evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had
been taken to the hospital. (at 6:00 pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had
suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a
stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up
in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he
can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was
getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient
medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the
lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain
damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now
doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke

by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e.. .
.. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

*NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out
their tongue If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the
other, that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with
ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !! and describe the symptoms to
the dispatcher

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people;
you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

Old January 6th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:
[...]

I wanted to add that stroke is NOT an "old person's illness." Anyone
can have a stroke at any age. Usually the little ischemic strokes come
before the "big one" and no one notices. One thing the article didn't
mention is personality change, someone becoming mean, or even just more
emotional, that's out of character for them.
I have a hard time believing the blanket statement that the cardio made
that stroke can be completely reversed. Maybe a light/moderate one, but
sometimes the damage is just too great.

Sherry

Old January 6th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

On 6 Jan 2007 12:57:54 -0800, wrote:

[stroke recognition advice regretfully snipped]

I wanted to add that stroke is NOT an "old person's illness." Anyone
can have a stroke at any age. Usually the little ischemic strokes come
before the "big one" and no one notices. One thing the article didn't
mention is personality change, someone becoming mean, or even just more
emotional, that's out of character for them.
I have a hard time believing the blanket statement that the cardio made
that stroke can be completely reversed. Maybe a light/moderate one, but
sometimes the damage is just too great.

Sherry

I second that. My great-aunt had several small strokes before the big
one that killed her and the only sign of the little strokes was that
she went from being a nasty, nasty, nasty woman to being very mellow
and relatively pleasant to deal with. Everyone knew something had
happened because of the drastic change in her behaviour, but since
that was the *only* symptom, no-one knew what had caused it. It
wasn't until she had passed away that a doctor told us that it was
probably a series of small strokes that had changed her relationships
with people. She was, for the most part, a sad, lonely and very
emotionally damaged person and it was a mercy when she passed away
because she was not coping with the infirmities of ageing and the
dependancies that sometimes come with it.

Tish
Old January 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

I wanted to add that stroke is NOT an "old person's illness." Anyone
can have a stroke at any age. Usually the little ischemic strokes come
before the "big one" and no one notices. One thing the article didn't
mention is personality change, someone becoming mean, or even just more
emotional, that's out of character for them.
I have a hard time believing the blanket statement that the cardio made
that stroke can be completely reversed. Maybe a light/moderate one, but
sometimes the damage is just too great.

For what it's worth, a personality change is also a sign of blood sugar
problems, high or low. Been there, done that, almost got fired from a
job for it.

Jane

Old January 7th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jane wrote:
I wanted to add that stroke is NOT an "old person's illness." Anyone
can have a stroke at any age. Usually the little ischemic strokes come
before the "big one" and no one notices. One thing the article didn't
mention is personality change, someone becoming mean, or even just more
emotional, that's out of character for them.
I have a hard time believing the blanket statement that the cardio made
that stroke can be completely reversed. Maybe a light/moderate one, but
sometimes the damage is just too great.

For what it's worth, a personality change is also a sign of blood sugar
problems, high or low. Been there, done that, almost got fired from a
job for it.

Jane

That's true, along with a variety of other physical maladies, too.
Menopause being one of them. I'm only half-joking here -- I nearly
found myself unemployed, divorced, and extremely unpopular. :-)

Sherry

Old January 7th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
ups.com...

.
[...]

I was a little dubious about the complete reversal, but I figured if anybody
can be helped at all, it was worth letting it go.

Old January 7th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On 6 Jan 2007 12:57:54 -0800, wrote:

I wanted to add that stroke is NOT an "old person's illness." Anyone
can have a stroke at any age. Usually the little ischemic strokes come
before the "big one" and no one notices. One thing the article didn't
mention is personality change, someone becoming mean, or even just more
emotional, that's out of character for them.
I have a hard time believing the blanket statement that the cardio made
that stroke can be completely reversed. Maybe a light/moderate one, but
sometimes the damage is just too great.

If you are going to have to sit still for a long period of time,
remember to get up and walk around at least every couple of hours.
This helps blood return from the legs to the torso. Otherwise, you
are at increased risk of developing blood clots in the legs which can
then break free and cause pulmonary embolisms (blood-flow blockages in
the lungs), heart attacks, and even strokes. Most warnings about this
are aimed at people on long airline trips, but it is also a hazard for
long car trips and even for people with desk jobs.

Such blood-clot-related problems can happen even to people in
otherwise-good health, with no history of such problems.

I had pains in one leg a couple of months ago, severe enough that I
finally went in to the emergency room, concerned about the possibility
of such leg clots. The problem turned out to be that my knee had
swollen up, an arthritis attack probably due to an old injury, and the
swelling was pressing on a nerve, causing pain elsewhere in the leg.
The swelling went back down after a few days, and has not reoccurred.

--
John F. Eldredge --

PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu
Old January 7th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2007-01-06 12:57:54 -0800, said:

I wanted to add that stroke is NOT an "old person's illness." Anyone
can have a stroke at any age.

My husband is a flight nurse with an air ambulance company... he
transported two cases of pediatric stroke (one in a 2-3 year old, the
other in an 8-10 year old) in a one month period. After the second one he
figured that he should probably know more about stroke in kids and found
that there was virtually NO literature out there dealing with this issue.
He ended up writing an article for one of the medical journals and has
spoken at several conferences on this topic. It's a largely unrecognized
problem in kids, but it happens. Unfortunately, becaure it's not something
associated with kids it's often not recognized until 72 hours or so later,
so the recovery is often long...

Katrina

I knew young people could have strokes. However, I had never heard of a
child having one. That is scary!

Joy

Oh, yes. I'm sure it is rare though. But a friend of mine did not even
know her young son had had a stroke, until she took him to swim class
and he began to swim in circles. He could not swim in a straight line.
She soon realized his left side was much weaker, and after tests they
found out it was a stroke.

Sherry