The window ledge and the cats

Old July 27th 05, 12:53 AM
CATherine

Default The window ledge and the cats

The window beside my desk is three feet by four feet with a ledge that
is eight inches wide. Right outside is the bird feeder. We also have
the occasional ground squirrel and a few bunny rabbits meandering
through the yard. So you can understand that the window ledge is a
prime spot for the cats. Not to mention the fact that I often eat at
my desk with all three feline beggars trying to get their share!

Behind my desk is another desk-like piece of furniture. The cats are
strong and healthy and agile. They can easily jump up onto the ledge.
Or they could jump up to the desk behind me and step onto the ledge.
But do they? NO!! They jump onto my desk instead. And since the
keyboard drawer is usually out and it is even lower, they prefer to
jump onto that first as a stepping stone onto the desk.

Since the keyboard is right at the edge of the drawer, they step on
that. But the computer being on, the keys are active. And it just
happens that the key most often stepped on is "enter" followed by
"ctl", "alt", etc. And of course when these keys are pressed in
combination with other keys, things happen that I don't always
understand, since I don't know very many keyboard commands. So I have
to first say a few potty words before I call my son to fix the mess
that suddenly appeared on the screen.

But last night was different. I was drinking juice, which I usually do
in my favorite pink goblet. Like a fool, I had it sitting on the desk
in front of me instead of on the shelf where I usually keep it. So the
devil cat I named Robin does his usual thing, jumping on the keyboard
and then onto the desk. So there is mayhem on the screen and then he
knocks the goblet over and there is sticky juice pouring everywhere!

Robin doesn't like his feet wet so he quickly gets onto the ledge and
out of my way. I was glad of that when I saw the broken glass. I
holler at Jeff to help me as juice spreads everywhere and runs offf
the desk onto the keyboard and the mouse pad. Paper towels soak up
most of the sticky liquid; but there are splatters on the screen and
dribbles down in the keys. A notepad and a few other things are soaked
and ruined. What a mess! And i wonder why I hadn't been drinking water
instead of something sticky.

--
CATherine