God this is aggravating...

Old April 20th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default God this is aggravating...

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

Same here. Cats like the smell of home and the familiar. I don't see
why a litter pan that is regularly cleaned (with baking soda and the
garden hose) has to be replaced at all.

Because over time, all plastics absorb odors, especially odors
orginating from fats (poop). Eventually you cannot wash the smell away
completely. More often than not, when I have counseled people who's
cats have started peeing inappropriately with no known cause, and I
suggest they get a new box, the problem goes away.

Smell a new box and compare it to a box that has been used for a year
or two and is freshly cleaned. The reason is obvious.

-L.

Old April 20th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

furmanthecat wrote:
Do you put paper towels down every time you clean the boxes, or was it
just that time? If it was just that once, maybe they thought the paper
towel looked like a nice place to pee?

Paper towels down is SOP here, but they were a new brand of towel -
that's a good thought!

I once put a wee wee mat (the
kind for a small dog) under my litter box, and they urinated on it, and
they kept going back to dig and "bury" it with imaginary litter

I think wee wee pads are scented to encourage soiling, if it's the type
I am thinking of.

-L.

Old April 20th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

J.T. wrote:
-L. wrote:

I don't know who the culprit is today, but I am wondering if it is
commentary on my cleaning prowess or commentary on the new color of the
litter pans....

-L.

Chi dà una merda?

You know you love me, Bar.
xoxox,

-L.

Old April 20th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

-L. wrote:

Because over time, all plastics absorb odors, especially odors
orginating from fats (poop).

very good point

I've been using a deep plastic storage container/tub - its about 2 feet
tall.
I cut a 1" x 10" notch down the side, they still track litter onto the
floor, it holds 2 normal size bags of litter.

Old April 20th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
How can this be?

Um, I have big cats...?

The Van Ness boxes have 8" high sides. Try the RubberMaid
litter boxes- they're about 12" high.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

Thanks - I will look for those. I worry about Mimi gettig in to it
though...she's a little stiff in the AM.
-L.

I am using this one and I love it. I did not have a problem with the cats
missing the box, I just got tired of sweeping up the litter they kicked out.
The entrance is not too terribly high, I would think even an older cat could
easily manage it.

Old April 20th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
Maybe they wanted to mark it, didn't like the smell of the cleaner?

If that were the case, I'd think they'd just pee on the floor or a
place more obvious - and I use the same cleaners every week, so I think
they are pretty used to them by now... This seemed to be just a
"missed" pee over the side, which happens every now and then with these
goofs (once every 2-3 months or so). I have had them both checked for
UTIs and they always come back negative - it seems to be just somebody
"missing". I thought it was consistently Mimi (I had seen her do it)
until I SAW Peewee doing it one day. Little stinkers!

I see. I guess you might have to do the "box within a box on a mat"
kind of thing, though it might be easier to just clean up the floor!
Good luck.

Old April 20th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:38:25 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"-L." wrote in message
roups.com...

cybercat wrote:
Maybe they wanted to mark it, didn't like the smell of the cleaner?

If that were the case, I'd think they'd just pee on the floor or a
place more obvious - and I use the same cleaners every week, so I think
they are pretty used to them by now... This seemed to be just a
"missed" pee over the side, which happens every now and then with these
goofs (once every 2-3 months or so). I have had them both checked for
UTIs and they always come back negative - it seems to be just somebody
"missing". I thought it was consistently Mimi (I had seen her do it)
until I SAW Peewee doing it one day. Little stinkers!

I see. I guess you might have to do the "box within a box on a mat"
kind of thing, though it might be easier to just clean up the floor!
Good luck.

Box? grabs broom

Yer supposed to use a box?
Old April 21st 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:

I am using this one and I love it. I did not have a problem with the

cats
missing the box, I just got tired of sweeping up the litter they kicked

out.
The entrance is not too terribly high, I would think even an older cat

could
easily manage it.

Thanks for the rec. I get tired of sweeping up the litter too- Pee
digs to China when he goes. One other thing Peewee does is he will
stand with all 4 paws on the corner of the box (all 22 lbs of him) to
poop. So it has to be a box that isn't easily tipped over - this one
looks like it might still be ok.

You might want to get this one for a 22 pounder:
http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E..._box-dog-2.jpg 28"x
22" x 9". Plenty of room to move around and the sides are 9" high. It comes
with a 2" slide for the entrance to make it higher if you want.

Phil

Old April 21st 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:

You might want to get this one for a 22 pounder:
http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E..._box-dog-2.jpg 28"x
22" x 9". Plenty of room to move around and the sides are 9" high. It comes
with a 2" slide for the entrance to make it higher if you want.

Phil

you can imagine how I felt when I looked up, and saw a thread titled

"God this is aggrivating" and to discover, YOU had made a new post
under that topic.

Old April 21st 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

-L. wrote:
Thanks for the rec. I get tired of sweeping up the litter too- Pee
digs to China when he goes. One other thing Peewee does is he will
stand with all 4 paws on the corner of the box (all 22 lbs of him) to
poop. So it has to be a box that isn't easily tipped over - this one
looks like it might still be ok.
-L.

Sounds as though he would be a superb candidate for toilet training
since he has the paw thing down already. Just make sure he does not
fall in. You might want to try the saran wrap thing until he gets the
idea and provides a safety net. Discuss it with him and see if he likes
the new challenge. I doubt he can tip over a toilet that is bolted down.