bad news at the vet today :(

Old September 11th 03, 07:00 AM
-L.

Default bad news at the vet today :(

Today I took my black baby Peewee (age 12) to the vet for a recheck of
what was diagnosed previously as ringworm. Well, I got the "good" vet
today, and it isn't fluorescing ringworm - symptoms are weird looking
ears and forehead (velvety hair/skin, somewhat balding), and itchy.
Some swelling above the eyes. It is unlike anything I have ever seen
before. BUT - the worst thing is that he lost 1.3 lbs in the last few
months!! This cat eats like a piggy.

So, we did a full blood panel including recheck for FeLV/FIV, and T4.
I am just sick - if and when I lose this cat, I will be inconsolable.
I hope to god whatever it is is treatable.

Man it sucks - all of my mammalian companions are elderly except one,
and I just lost one of my (young) snakes very unexpectedly. This is
the sucky part of loving another creature - regardless of species.

-L.
Old September 11th 03, 11:55 AM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
m...
Today I took my black baby Peewee (age 12) to the vet for a recheck of
what was diagnosed previously as ringworm. Well, I got the "good" vet
today, and it isn't fluorescing ringworm -

Whoa! Relax at bit! About *half* the cases of ringrorm don't fluoresce
under a Wood's Light! Also, did your vet allow the light to warm up for at
least 5 minutes? We've had *many* false negatives with the Wood's Light in
our shelter that almost led to epidemics!

The most reliable test for ringworm (dermatophytosis) is a *fungal culture*.
A couple of inexpensive in-clinic test kits are availabe. Our vets use the
Sab-Duet kit - they say its easier than the standard DTM (Dermatophyte Test
Media). You might want to mention that to your vet.

Btw, don't worry about sample collection for the culture - there's no
cutting or anesthetic involved. All your vet has to do is brush the area
with a *new* toothbrush then press the bristles into the culture medium and
incubate.

symptoms are weird looking
ears and forehead (velvety hair/skin, somewhat balding), and itchy.
Some swelling above the eyes. It is unlike anything I have ever seen
before. BUT - the worst thing is that he lost 1.3 lbs in the last few
months!! This cat eats like a piggy.

So, we did a full blood panel including recheck for FeLV/FIV, and T4.
I am just sick - if and when I lose this cat, I will be inconsolable.
I hope to god whatever it is is treatable.

The T4 is not always reliable. The most reliable thyroid test for cats is
free T4 by equilibrium dialysis (fT4ED). Cornell runs the test for about
$20. Only a blood sample is needed.

Man it sucks - all of my mammalian companions are elderly except one,
and I just lost one of my (young) snakes very unexpectedly. This is
the sucky part of loving another creature - regardless of species.

Whoa! Never under estimate the resiliency or the *indomitable* spirit of
the cat!

Keep the faith!

Good Luck,

Phil.

Old September 11th 03, 02:13 PM
Sherry

[...]

Lyn, I'm sorry about Peewee. Does the vet have any ideas at all diagnosis?
What about allergies, or the stress involved with a new house and all?
Also your snake; you're right about emotional bond knows no species. We had a
terrapin (not the right word but that's what we always called the litte land
turtles here) who used to come up to the house and eat the dog's food. For
probably 15 years or more. He got so used to us messing with him he wasn't
afraid of us at all anymore. I accidentally ran over him in the driveway last
week. Believe it or not, the whole family was upset.

Sherry

Old September 11th 03, 02:15 PM
Sherry

Why do you think after Kami there simply won't be anymore for me? Just
wouldn't be up to it. Maybe a siamese fighting fish or something.

--
BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre®

Bettas pretty much have a personality of sorts and live a long time. Ours died
on Christmas day, and even thhat was sucky, we'd had him for a long time. RIP,
Admiral Bob.

Sherry