Rat Poison in food recalled according to local news

Old March 25th 07, 07:09 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Andy

Default Rat Poison in food recalled according to local news

Barnabas Collins wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:50:14 -0600, Andy andy@NOYB wrote:
No, it couldn't. It's too widespread. It has to originate from a
single source somewhere inside or upstream of the plants it was
manufactured in, not on the retail distribution end. Otherwise we would
see a very skewed distribution by region.

You do realize someone could taint the product on store shelves in
by flying to each city and doing at the retail level?

That has occurred before.

I realize that, and yes, I was around.

This is happening on a different scale, the way it's spread is
entirely different. It's not some lone nutcase on the retail side. It
*has* to be factory or upstream. Not even a battalion of nutcases could
fly from city to city and produce the distribution of cases.

If you've been surfing the web news this week you should see the
patterns.

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are
fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives
up but with life itself."
- Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

"The state which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its
thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools," Thucydides.
Old March 25th 07, 07:14 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Andy

Barnabas Collins wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:43:49 -0600, Andy andy@NOYB wrote:
I've been wondering for a couple hours, if MF goes under the weight of
the pressure they are going to face, and have to cease operations, what
are all the big brand names going to do?

I'd point out the same thing happened to Tylenol and they survived.

You missed my point.

If MF shuts down, the big brands will be scrambling for someone to
manufacture their products. (Be best if they did it themselves, but that
means they'd have to spend real money on factories. And R&D, and stuff.
Sigh )

This isn't bad grain, this is a human produced specific poison.

from China.....

Now, now. The anti-chink group is that -- way ;\

Old March 25th 07, 07:18 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Andy" andy@NOYB wrote in message
Barnabas Collins wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:50:14 -0600, Andy andy@NOYB wrote:
No, it couldn't. It's too widespread. It has to originate from a single
source somewhere inside or upstream of the plants it was manufactured
in, not on the retail distribution end. Otherwise we would see a very
skewed distribution by region.

You do realize someone could taint the product on store shelves in by
flying to each city and doing at the retail level?

That has occurred before.

I realize that, and yes, I was around.

This is happening on a different scale, the way it's spread is entirely
different. It's not some lone nutcase on the retail side. It *has* to be
factory or upstream. Not even a battalion of nutcases could fly from city
to city and produce the distribution of cases.

If you've been surfing the web news this week you should see the
patterns.

I wonder if we get the gluten from China, or just the wheat, and then we
make the gluten here.....It strikes me that we should be sending wheat to
china, and not getting wheat from China.....Doesn't the US make more wheat
than like, everybody?
My guess is that we send the wheat to China, and they turn it into
gluten (whatever that is) and then send it back....I know we do this with
olives and olive oil. Most olives are grown in California. We then ship them
to Italy, where they make the olive oil, and then send it back to us in
fancy bottles labeled, "Italian Olive Oil". (In Italian, of course)
But if we grow the wheat here, then why would the Chinese contaminate it
with rat poison? One would think that we would contaminate it with the rat
poison if anybody is going to do so at all......Do the rats wait until it is
on Chinese soil before they eat it?
Sorry.....Just musing......

Old March 25th 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barnabas Collins

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:50:14 -0600, Andy andy@NOYB wrote:
No, it couldn't. It's too widespread. It has to originate from a
single source somewhere inside or upstream of the plants it was
manufactured in, not on the retail distribution end. Otherwise we would
see a very skewed distribution by region.

You weren't around for the Tylenol scare were you? Something like
this could have put in any where along the line, as Tylenol and
other companies have found out the hard way. That is why they
have the caps they do on many products.

If you want to extort money from a corporation tainting a product
is one place to start. A number of cases have occurred over the
years.

Too many corporations have learned that lesson the hard way.

Old March 25th 07, 07:46 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barnabas Collins

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:52:19 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

One should never assume anything. Yes, as a matter of fact I am in retail.
I have to watch code dates, product condition, source of product etc. I
quarantee you if even one of my customers dropped dead after eating anything
from my jobsite, it wouldn't take two weeks for the word to get out.
Second, how can you say IF IT HAPPENED? One of the producers admits that
nine cats died just from normal taste testing.

But the question is who knew what and when did they know it?

Bear in mind there is a long chain of events that occur from
the mfg. to store shelves.

I'd also add that Menu foods is in Canada subject to Canadian law.
And the supplier is in China subject to China law. There are many
questions to answer before convicting them.

This may well have been mishandled but someone needs to prove that
in a court of law.

Old March 25th 07, 08:54 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

Yes, I'm lucky in that regard too. I feed my cat the Iams multicat dry cat
chow and that's all she will eat. Of course, that doesn't prevent her from
inspecting every bit of food that I eat, but I can live with that.

Old March 25th 07, 09:00 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"Andy" andy@NOYB wrote in message

This is happening on a different scale, the way it's spread is
entirely different. It's not some lone nutcase on the retail side. It
*has* to be factory or upstream. Not even a battalion of nutcases could
fly from city to city and produce the distribution of cases.

I might have missed them, but I haven't seen any specific reports on where
the (reported so far) poisoning cases have occurred. But, as more of them
come in, they should/will eventually point to one location of contamination.
That is assuming as you say, that this wasn't caused by a lone nutcase.

Old March 25th 07, 09:09 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"Granby" wrote in message
One should never assume anything. Yes, as a matter of fact I am in

retail.
I have to watch code dates, product condition, source of product etc. I
quarantee you if even one of my customers dropped dead after eating

anything
from my jobsite, it wouldn't take two weeks for the word to get out.

Sorry, but that's too easy a statement to make. Nobody in higher management
(and that would include you if you were at that level) is going to
immediately drop the drop the hammer on making some kind of accusation just
on the basis of a suspicion. And that's all you'd have in the beginning. You
might immediately start an investigation of some kind, but you as higher
management would know that making a flat out statement about the dangers of
a product can destroy an entire company very quickly. And, it wouldn't be
the first time that someone had become a whistle blower, been wrong with
their accusations and completely destroyed an honest ethical company.