Cat repellent

Old April 24th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
toronado455

Default Cat repellent

I live in an apartment and I don't have a cat but other people's cats
keep leaving dead birds at my door step. Is there some kind of safe
cat repellent I can use?

Old April 25th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

toronado455 wrote:

I live in an apartment and I don't have a cat but other people's cats
keep leaving dead birds at my door step. Is there some kind of safe
cat repellent I can use?

Moth balls. Cats hate 'em. They also can't stand the scent of citrus and
bitter apple.
Old April 25th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Noon Cat Nick" wrote in message
toronado455 wrote:

I live in an apartment and I don't have a cat but other people's cats
keep leaving dead birds at my door step. Is there some kind of safe
cat repellent I can use?

Moth balls. Cats hate 'em. They also can't stand the scent of citrus and
bitter apple.

Moth balls are also dangerous to cats and the citrus is not always true

Old April 25th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

You should feel honored that they are leaving you these presents. It's what
cats do when they really like you.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old April 25th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:24:41 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

You should feel honored that they are leaving you these presents.
It's what cats do when they really like you.

Not everyone appreciates cats or their gifts.

To the OP, please do not put down moth balls. Try some double sided tape
around the area where these cats are leaving gifts. Cats hate that stuff
and it will not cause them harm.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 26th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Apr 25, 9:40 am, Lynne wrote:
on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:24:41 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

You should feel honored that they are leaving you these presents.
It's what cats do when they really like you.

Not everyone appreciates cats or their gifts.

To the OP, please do not put down moth balls. Try some double sided tape
around the area where these cats are leaving gifts. Cats hate that stuff
and it will not cause them harm.

--
Lynne

Ditto on the moth balls. I've heard the same thing about double-sided
tape; and also heard that cats hate walking on aluminum foil, although
I've never tried it.
If the OP really wanted to get elaborate, he could position a plant-
mister at the front door. Cats wouldn't come to the porch then, but
even a light mister would leave standing water after a while.
Personally I'd rather have the dead mice than a mudhole by the front
door.
Or what about those creepy motion-detector plastic frogs that go
"ribbit" when somebody walks by? (Or other equally creepy motion-
detector crap, like Travis the Trout or those horrid singing Christmas
decorations?)
But again, I'd rather just deal with the dead mouse than listen to a
singing fish every time I came by the front door.
Good luck with that.

Sherry

Sherry

Old April 26th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
toronado455

On Apr 25, 7:40 am, Lynne wrote:
on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:24:41 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

You should feel honored that they are leaving you these presents.
It's what cats do when they really like you.

Not everyone appreciates cats or their gifts.

To the OP, please do not put down moth balls. Try some double sided tape
around the area where these cats are leaving gifts. Cats hate that stuff
and it will not cause them harm.

--
Lynne

I need something that is going to work outdoors. Double sided tape
isn't going to stick to the rough surface of the area around my
doorstep very well and it will just attract dirt. And food items are
just going to attract insects and other pests. I don't want to solve
one problem by creating another.

Old April 26th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Apr 24, 6:24 pm, toronado455 wrote:
I live in an apartment and I don't have a cat but other people's cats
keep leaving dead birds at my door step. Is there some kind of safe
cat repellent I can use?

spray the exterior of your apt... with bleach and rinse

they MUST be smelling other cat sprayings...

for some reason, they are bringing you little presents

or.. you are habitually cooking something they can smell?

is there any tuna smell in the house? LOL JUST KIDDING YO!

TUNA
TUNA

Old April 26th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
toronado455

On Apr 26, 3:59 am, Barry wrote:
On Apr 24, 6:24 pm, toronado455 wrote:

I live in an apartment and I don't have a cat but other people's cats
keep leaving dead birds at my door step. Is there some kind of safe
cat repellent I can use?

spray the exterior of your apt... with bleach and rinse

they MUST be smelling other cat sprayings...

for some reason, they are bringing you little presents

or.. you are habitually cooking something they can smell?

is there any tuna smell in the house? LOL JUST KIDDING YO!

TUNA
TUNA

That's interesting because I use a bleach/water mixture to clean up
after they leave these disgusting "gifts" and that seems to keep them
away for a while. I suppose I could fill a spray bottle with a bleach/
water mixture and just spray a little around every few days to
maintain the effect.

What about the commercially available cat repellents? Don't they use
Coyote urine or something? Sounds awful but does it work?

Old April 26th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"toronado455" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 26, 3:59 am, Barry wrote:
[...]

They make a spray repellent that can be purchased at any pet store. Most
use chemical mixtures but I believe don't use other animal markings scent
you would get a cat like mine that would boldly walk up and cover the
marking not matter what predator it was.