Buster's new treat

Old September 18th 05, 10:57 PM
Mark Edwards

Default Buster's new treat

This morning, I was making waffles for breakfast. As I usually do, I
pour a little syrup on the plate, before putting a waffle on it.

Buster was on the upper part of the counter, watching me. Suddenly,
he jumps to the lower (working) counter, and starts sniffing Senyah'
plate.

I pick him up, tell him no, and walk around a bit, while he digs
claws into my shoulder, and purrs in my ear.

Finally, I set him down on the chest freezer (his most recent
Favorite Place), so I can check on the waffle.

Buster makes a bee-line right to Senyah's plate again, and makes an
obvious attempt to lick her plate.

I grab him again, tell him no, and put him on the floor. Then I pet
him, and put about a teaspoon of syrup on a saucer for him. He eats a
few bites of cat food, then carefully licks up every last drop of
syrup from his saucer.

It' Log Cabin brand - I don't know if he just likes the sugar or the
maple. But he definitely likes it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old September 19th 05, 12:03 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:57:31 +0000, Mark Edwards wrote:

[...]

Don't be surprised if he gets a little "loose"! TuTu loves it too. MLB

Old September 19th 05, 12:19 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 18 Sep 2005 05:57:31p, Mark Edwards wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

This morning, I was making waffles for breakfast. As I usually
do, I pour a little syrup on the plate, before putting a waffle
on it.

Buster was on the upper part of the counter, watching me.
Suddenly, he jumps to the lower (working) counter, and starts
sniffing Senyah' plate.

I pick him up, tell him no, and walk around a bit, while he digs
claws into my shoulder, and purrs in my ear.

Finally, I set him down on the chest freezer (his most recent
Favorite Place), so I can check on the waffle.

Buster makes a bee-line right to Senyah's plate again, and makes
an obvious attempt to lick her plate.

LOL! Determined lil fella!

I grab him again, tell him no, and put him on the floor. Then I
pet him, and put about a teaspoon of syrup on a saucer for him.
He eats a few bites of cat food, then carefully licks up every
last drop of syrup from his saucer.

It' Log Cabin brand - I don't know if he just likes the sugar or
the maple. But he definitely likes it.

Well, that's a strange treat, but sometimes it's the little things
in life...

--
Cheryl
Old September 19th 05, 02:20 AM
Caroline S.

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

Very interesting, given the relatively recent finding that cats
genetically lack the ability to detect sweetness in food. I wonder what
he likes about it?

-Caroline S.
Old September 19th 05, 05:55 PM
LazyRaptor

I would think that any time a cat eats something unusual, it must be
the smell that entices them. Their sense of smell is so incredibly
better than ours that we can't ever truly appreciate how important
odors and smells are to them. Their experience of a smell must be
vastly different than our experience of it. And maple syrup does have
an unusual and pungent odor, especially compared to most things Buster
might ever eat. Maybe it's the sheer novelty of it that attracts him.

My Simon has never shown much interest in people food, although
occasionally I can get him to take very small morsels of meat or cheese
from my fingers. And he does enjoy jumping up on my chest after
breakfast to check out my shirt for toast crumbs. I think he likes the
butter. Sometimes he will pursue a crumb into my chest hair, which
tickles like crazy and makes me laugh out loud. When I was a kid I had
a parakeet who would happily spend half an hour at a time burrowing all
around under my shirt, occasionally popping his head out between a pair
of buttons and going "Meep?" before continuing his explorations. It
made the whole family laugh to watch him.